What’s the most realistic game you’ve ever played…

nycgamer

I'll agree with White Knight on Papy's Nascar series as one of the leading sims. Though the new Deer Hunter 2k3 is not to bad either, and of course Sturmovick.

GR rocks as my all time favorite game to date, but as far a realism...kudos for the tactical realism some other things I could complain about but they would just detract from the game itself.

by "realistic game" i define as something that deals with real life events or elements to the point where it finds that fine line between entertainment and real. if i wanted a really real game, i'd join the army. :)

with that said, my all-time favorite is still ... gasp ... the strike series from playstation 1 -- nuclear (?) strike and desert strike. ok so you pilot a little dinky apache sprite (not a 3d model) around a 2d map blowing up enemy installations and tangos.

BUT the briefings are AWESOME. you got a ed harris wanna-be as the general of your black ops unit, a goofy lookin make-7-up-yours lookin computer guy named "hack" (guess what he does) that feeds you all the intel, and a semi-hottie (british accent does it in for me man) spy-chick that does all sorts of funky espionage. it had many levels of debriefings (not planning like in RS -- just eye candy) which told you info about the characters youd be dealing with (rebels, other spies and such youll come in contact with - maybe hoist into your chopper as copilot or to transport or whatever), just a lot of stuff that added to the game.

i guess im big on the debriefings cos its what gets you psyched up for the game. i wish gr did more to bolster that.

My votes on ghost recon, as the most realistic game i've played.

I have Ghost Recon, and I think it's fairly realistic. It's fantastic if you love sniping enemies. I'd say of the Tom Clancy games that Splinter Cell has to be the most impressive overall. The lighting effects in that game are so beyond what I've seen anywhere else. The thermal and night vision are unprecedented too. Have you played it?

Probably Operation Flashpoint for me. (Especially since I'm not into those hardcore flight sims, etc.) That was realistic to the point of being annoying.

Say that again. I couldn't hit a hill with the M16 in that. Just like in real life, I'd have to log hours of practice. That said, I can't hit much in GR either. WK is still mad at me for roasting his girlfriend last week with a rocket launcher. Bringing it along was a bad tactical call.