Best budget ATI card?

Rocky

I have read the Geforce thread, but they are high end cards. I need a budget upgrade from a Geforce 2 64Mb, that will not bottleneck my 1.5Ghz P4, and run the latest games smooth.

I want to switch to ATI because I have a driver problem with the Geforce that I can't resolve, and don't want to get into again :(

I just saw the 9000 pro mentioned in a magazine as a great buy right now - but I am clueless about cards - any advice?

Why not try Dabs.com I've bought stuff from them in the past and have only good things to say about them. They sell things at trade prices too, and looking around I've found it very hard to beat them. They also do an impressive buy now pay in 12 months or sooner option if you want to buy over £500 worth of stuff.

Check it out and see what you think.

Ill post few links for you to look at Rocky, since im not sure what you want exactly. So:

ATi Cards

More ATi Cards

Now, if you dont want to get OEM, Sapphire, or an LE card, the prices for an ATi card with 128 MB's is through the roof, comparing them with nVidia's 128's. So:

nVidia's GF4 Ti 4200's w/ 128MB of RAM

Edit: Rocky, two posts down. You'll now what im talking about.

Edited by Crimson

the 9000 pro is aimed at the gf4 mx buyer its cheap and has a lot of features apart from some driver issues ive seen its a good card and double the power of a gf2 mx

Double the power for less than £100, that could be the chappy for me!

Budget Ati card? Stay away from the 9000's if you can, I think they don't perform to what they should. Look around for an 8500 or 8500 le (slighty slower). They're a tad slower than a good ti4200, but a lot more powerful than the GF4 MX or 9000 cards. Plus they should be really cheap now. Also, by an Ati brand card if you can, and not the bulk OEM stuff. The Ati cards are usually clocked higher and use better ram.

As for the 9500: If it isn't a pro, don't bother.

About Cat drivers, I believe 2.2s were the fastest they have put out to date.

Edited by RooK

Okay, I just read this about the Connect3D Radeon 9500 Pro

... incredible card, full DX9 support, costs half of the 9700, but only loses 20% of the performance - a bargain

UK price around £135... sounds like the card for me.. comments anyone?