Halo unit for US special ops......

bugkill

is there any chance to have a HALO rig for the delta's and sf? i think it would be a great addon and those units need a version of a HALO unit. is it possible to make it where you could drop the HALO helmet and chute? so that when you do the drop, you would drop your hemlet and chute to conduct the mission. the idea would be similar to having the radio backpack created by BAS for their delta and ranger units, could add a user action to drop those items. please chime in with your thoughts on the idea.

Edited by bugkill

cool, i just ordered my copy today and should be here in 5-7 days. i also have been discussing the idea of creating a script that would allow you and your team to stand on the ramp of a c-130, right before a halo jump. it would be a user action "move to the ramp", and you would be standing on the edge of the ramp with your teammates behind you in a staggered column formation (all standing). you would be able to look down and see your landmarks or a trigger that would tell you that you are ten seconds from the DZ. you would give the command "do final checks and prepare to exit" and after ten seconds, you exit and your team will follow. i was hoping that vbs would allow free movement within the cargo planes, so that you could do this manually, but i quess we will have to settle with a script. so, tell me what you guys think and push this idea to all those scripters out there. :D

sounds good, how about the new vehicle positions on the aircraft? i would like it to be in real time. you start off at the air force base in the back of a c-130 in full HALO gear. the bird takes off and goes up to 1500 ft, heading for the drop zone. you give the command to lower the ramp once the aircraft levels out at the correct altitude. you then select the command to move to the ramp (a new cargo proxy?) and look for your markers or a warning from a trigger, then you just jump. this is more of what i'm looking for. it is just a simulation of a HALO drop, but being able to do it with the aircraft moving. para, if you know some guys within the community who can do this, please pass on this idea. also, if they can't do it, ask if they can make the stationary c-130 (the way you described it), because i don't have a clue on how to do it. :(

Edited by bugkill

ok, i found an example of what i'm talking about and it is the puma 330 (resco) for operation frenchpoint. you will notice the position of the squad leader and the team leader. they are both positioned near the door, with the squad leader in a crouch and the team leader standing. i wish that the squad leader could be the one standing so he could have a clear view of the ground to see the DZ and give the exit command. that is what i want to see happen for the c-130, just new positions.

Your idea sounds cool, bugkill, but I think that, ultimately, we have to consider the limitations of the engine. To make the player feel as though he/she is actually flying into a hostile area, you'd need to start in the air, so that the player has no sense of how far he's gone, or how long he's been in the air. All the player knows is that he's in the air, a long way from home. Another limitation is the altitude at which you can fly. In OFP, I've gotten planes to fly at over 13,000 m. In VBS1, I've not yet bested about 3,000 m. I've never done a HALO jump in real-life, so I don't have any experience on which to base a simulation. However, the most important part for gamers will begin with jumping out of the airplane. Trying to get all of the proxies right and flying from here to there adds elements that, IMHO, are unneeded for the gamer. Why bore the gamer with a long flight?

well, vbs is not a game, but a sim :thumbsup: also, it would add a bit of realism in doing airborne operations. i'm a paratrooper and people think that we just put on our chutes and jump right out the door when the plane reaches a certain altitude. the fact is that it is a long process and the training jump flights could take up to 1-3 hrs. flight time before the drop. it would give the "gamer" a sense of anticipation and control while doing an insertion into enemy territory. 3,000 meters is good enough and in vbs is not a problem. i think that it would add more to the simulation and bring about more realism.

well, vbs is not a game, but a sim :thumbsup: also, it would add a bit of realism in doing airborne operations. i'm a paratrooper and people think that we just put on our chutes and jump right out the door when the plane reaches a certain altitude. the fact is that it is a long process and the training jump flights could take up to 1-3 hrs. flight time before the drop. it would give the "gamer" a sense of anticipation and control while doing an insertion into enemy territory. 3,000 meters is good enough and in vbs is not a problem. i think that it would add more to the simulation and bring about more realism.

It's a great idea for the HALO drop, but the flight in would be boring beyond belief. Realism is cool, and I like it a lot, but that's way too much for any game. Sitting in the bay of a C-130 for anything over a couple of minutes in a videogame would be awful.

well, vbs is not a game, but a sim :thumbsup:  also, it would add a bit of realism in doing airborne operations. i'm a paratrooper and people think that we just put on our chutes and jump right out the door when the plane reaches a certain altitude. the fact is that it is a long process and the training jump flights could take up to 1-3 hrs. flight time before the drop. it would give the "gamer" a sense of anticipation and control while doing an insertion into enemy territory. 3,000 meters is good enough and in vbs is not a problem. i think that it would add more to the simulation and bring about more realism.

It's a great idea for the HALO drop, but the flight in would be boring beyond belief. Realism is cool, and I like it a lot, but that's way too much for any game. Sitting in the bay of a C-130 for anything over a couple of minutes in a videogame would be awful.

Not too add to fine a point to this - but sitting in the back of a C130 before a jump can never be duplicated in a Video Game.

Ever.

Oh, it might be visually duplicated... but any para who has jumped - static, HALO, what-have-you, knows that the flight itself would be boring but for the adrenaline, fear, nerves, etc... these things, these PARA-related things cannot be accurately duplicated in a game, and then you are left with what snared_gambit describes...a boring flight, a boring jump (after the "hey-this-is-neat" first-timeness wears off) and finally the mission.

Just my 75 cents.

Ex Coelis,

Mike

Edited by MarauderMike

I don't want to discourage you from pursuing your idea, bugkill. By all means, if you can find a way to get it done, more power to you. I'm just presenting another angle to you. While VBS1 is a simulation, there is simply no way to simulate certain things, particularly emotions, as Mike pointed out. The best that we can do is simulate the actual jump, landing, etc. A long plane ride is simply boring, and has no training value on a computer. It would be better, IMO, to concentrate more on skills that the player can actually use, such as getting on the ground, finding cover, and then using land navigation skills to get to where he needs to go. As I see it, the various insertion techniques are simply a means to get the team into the target area. The focus of the simulation/training needs to focus on what happens once you're on the ground. Just my $0.02.

ok, everyone seems to misunderstand what i'm saying, so i'll give an example. you would start the mission in the cargo of a c-130 taxing down the runway. it lifts off and climbs to about 3,000 meters (ingame height). it gets to cruising altitude and is heading straight for the DZ. you give the command to lower the ramp and once it lowers, you move to the ramp position. you will be placed on the edge of the ramp (so you will have a great view) with your teammates behind you. you will determine when you are over the DZ and give the jump command. now, this will only take about 4-5 minutes, or even less. i'm not talking about completely simulating a halo drop, but to have it shortened that will have you go through some of the steps. if you want to do a long boring flight, more power to you. i only do my halo missions with the flight time being for only 2-3 minutes. i just want to have more control as a squad leader when exiting the aircraft, i just need that ramp position and my teammates directly behind me. check out the link halo

One of the main problems is that you can't move around in aircraft, while the vehicle is moving. That's why I suggested coding the C130 as a helicopter, and making it hover stationary in the air. You could do a short cutscene, with the bird taking off, and a couple of passes by the camera, along with time lapse, so that it seems like a long flight, and then go to the stationary (but flying) bird that has the player in it. The stationary aircraft would allow the player and squad to walk around, do what they want, and then jump out at will. That would be the best way to do it, IMHO.

para, you are right, but i'm mainly talking about a position on the ramp that you could move to. you would give a command like "move into jump position" and you would automatically move to the edge of the ramp. it would be like moving into the gunners position on the blackhawk from your cargo seat. i already know about the fact that you could'nt move (freely) in the aircraft whle in flight, i'm just talking about new positions. by the way, how could you simulate a static c-130 in the air?

para, you are right, but i'm mainly talking about a position on the ramp that you could move to. you would give a command like "move into jump position" and you would automatically move to the edge of the ramp. it would be like moving into the gunners position on the blackhawk from your cargo seat. i already know about the fact that you could'nt move (freely) in the aircraft whle in flight, i'm just talking about new positions. by the way, how could you simulate a static c-130 in the air?

I understand what you're saying. As far as I know, though, it's not possible to move to new positions. :(

by the way, how could you simulate a static c-130 in the air?

I'm not exactly sure how it's done, but BAS did it with their MH60's. If I were going to do a HALO addon, I'd code a the HALO C130 to be a helicopter, so that it could hover. Then I'd simply lock it in place in the air. With a floor LOD added, you can walk around inside, and jump out when you're ready. :)