its the 16th!

zeroalpha

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

isnt DARPA researching some cool technologies such as using Nanotechnologies to make bullet proof clothing. the techniques using carbon nanotubes can create a bullet proof vests and it would as thin as paper and flexible as a t-shirt and would stiffen on impact and be 30-100x stronger than normal vests and VERY light compared to current armor. Also they will be placing many sensors and diagnostics into the uniform to monitor soldiers health and apply drugs automaticly when needed and monitor the enviornment too.

They are also working on to make a soldier invisable and blend into the enviornment, Predator style...

i think its a 5 year project, started in 2002 or 2003

Right now Nearly every army and country is hugely interested in the potential of nanotech and is doing research and putting A LOT of money into it

Edited by whoa182

as far as i know there have been testings with that invisibility stuff, so its possible but far too expensive...... :wacko:

suppose all that stuff will take another ten or twenty years till we'll have that as regular equipment - if ever......

as far as i know there have been testings with that invisibility stuff, so its possible but far too expensive...... :wacko:

suppose all that stuff will take another ten or twenty years till we'll have that as regular equipment - if ever......

The invisibility stuff is super cool. I did not see it first hand, but did see photos and video of the cloaks at a future technology show here in San Francisco. It is basically thousands of miniature cameras and leds each camera picking up a feature of the environment in front of it and then displaying it on the corresponding led. Other uses are planned for this technology outside of military applications - invisible car fenders to helpo you see when parking amongst others - so that may help bring the price into a more reasonable range.

either way, it is such a cool concept and i would love to actually see it in action in real life.

as far as i know there have been testings with that invisibility stuff, so its possible but far too expensive...... 

No such thing as too expensive if it gives you a greater advantage.Usually we just go start a War with some country and way hay, we just seem to be able to find extra funds for our military projects.

We already have Paints that change colour depending on the lighting around them.Can't see why we wont have clothing/Camo that will do the same.

Edited by BornToKill_TAW

yeah at first i see these sort of technologies in the hands of small teams, special ops etc...

but the amazing thing about nanotechnology is, It lets you manipulate atoms. Meaning You can re-arrange them.

For example.

A rock is made up of atoms, we are made of atoms and fruit is made up of atoms, By simply re-arranging them we could turn stone into Gold, fruit into water etc...

So If you extract the atoms from the enviornment And in theory a Nano assembler would arrange the atoms and out comes the item, litrually out of nothing. Thats the reason why it would be extremely cheap.

Now at the moment we have nanotubes, but we cannot affort to use them in such big projects because of the cost.

This is where Self replication comes in and growing nanotubes n stuff.

A rock is made up of atoms, we are made of atoms and fruit is made up of atoms, By simply re-arranging them we could turn stone into Gold, fruit into water etc...

no offend, but it will never be possible to turn stone into gold (unless its uran and u sell it.... ;) )

gold is an element, build out of elektrons neutrons and protons, rock is not a element its build out of different elements....

beside that speakin of nano technology atoms (or molekules) are arranged in a specific way, like the parts in a car....

the big difference between the macro world (thats where most of us live) and the nano world is the size, and some natural laws which are different...

i think the real reason we dont hear anything about pc-specific features is the dev team members who are working on both versions are gonna take some serious time off after xbox goes gold. (unhook the glucose drip and be free to see the sunlight once again ...) before returning to the land of troglodytes under flourescent lights and have The Big Meeting where they sit down and finalize the features the PC is actually going to have. I dont think they can really focus on that until the madness of xbox is over, and they have some time for the smoke to clear.

what is interesting is that you cant compile and write games on xbox -- its not a real computer, and has no native compiler --instead they're coded on the pc using the same DirectX library so the xbox->pc port is sitting there right now, without those extra pc-specific features added. they have a pc-build and an xbox-build button in Visual Studio .NET, and assuming they are doing it right, the pc version is in sync with xbox version as we speak.

the way i see it, the longer they keep adding pc-specific features to that already working codebase, the better the game is going to be. if they allow the feature creep to go on for long enough, the xbox isnt going to be the little brother, but the mutant sidekick crying in the corner. (that sells 5x the number of copies ...)

A rock is made up of atoms, we are made of atoms and fruit is made up of atoms,  By simply re-arranging them  we could turn stone into Gold, fruit into water etc...

no offend, but it will never be possible to turn stone into gold (unless its uran and u sell it.... ;) )

gold is an element, build out of elektrons neutrons and protons, rock is not a element its build out of different elements....

beside that speakin of nano technology atoms (or molekules) are arranged in a specific way, like the parts in a car....

the big difference between the macro world (thats where most of us live) and the nano world is the size, and some natural laws which are different...

np rico.

its better to be corrected rather than me thinking i know something that is wrong, ive got like 5 + books on nanotechnology and its a lot to take in lol =/

yeah, youre damn right its quite a lot of stuff to put into once brain, same with me... :blink: but the more intersting somethin is the more stuff u wanna get and the more u are disarranged.... (at least thats what always happens to me..... :unsure: )

.:Nightmare:.,Sep 18 2004, 21:44 ] And what if terrorists manage to get hold of this technology?

Hmmm....invisible terrorists.....Now we make their job of infiltrating buildings to place a bomb in a strategic location alot easier....

Well most technologies are dangerous but while we build these complex systems we should have built safeguards in place to take care of them effectivly, i hope.

Cos i dont fear Nuclear weapons in the future, its Biotech and nano that are the most dangerous and the tools are more easily to get hold of

21st century warfare.. >>Informtion<< is probably the biggest threat. if some1 has the knowledge to engineer viruses... well we got some problems if defenses are not put up. But im hoping they will be.

But companies like Intel are researching and developing a microchip to diagnose disease and viruses in real-time, would require a small chip implanted i think, very small tho.

LMAO, imagin if there would be a time when we gotta get a Nortan anti virus update wirelessly from the net aha

Edited by whoa182

no offend, but it will never be possible to turn stone into gold (unless its uran and u sell it.... )

actually it is possible annd has been done. You can change one element into another by rearranging the number of electrons and protons. The problem is that the cost of the energy required to do such is far beyond the gains that are realized.

actually it is possible annd has been done. You can change one element into another by rearranging the number of electrons and protons. The problem is that the cost of the energy required to do such is far beyond the gains that are realized.

yes that is but stone isn't an element

Well instead of stone into gold ( which i think i have a more clear understanding why that may not be possible, I dunno :S lol )

You could Turn coal into diamonds by re-arranging atoms

But i think most of you get the point, If and When nano assemblers are created you could litrually see things made out of nothing, they use the raw materials, re-arrange atoms n stuf to build. Like a house just litrually building itself or a rocket engine building itself.

"first products made from nanomachines will be stronger fibers. Eventually, we will be able to replicate anything, including diamonds, water and food".

Sounds like science fiction?...

we'll see ;) We are still at early stages, but around 2020 the technology will have matured a lot.

Edited by whoa182

graphite is easier to change to diamond as they're both made of just carbon

wow has this thread gone off topic

yeah - but don't you just need to provide intense pressure to carbon to create diamonds? You do not need nano technology to reaarange the atomic structure(although perhaps that may be the easier route in the future). Artificial diamonds are currentoly produced for industrial and scientific applications as are rubies and some other gem type stones.

ok - i'll shut up now and see if this thread gets back around to discussing GR2