its the 16th!

zeroalpha

Ok, its after 1200 on the 16th :D

Ubi made us sign a NDA for 2 reasons.

1. They did not want us to talk about the Land warrior system.

2. We could not mention on-line content.

So, the land warrior system, This is a system that is integral to the XM 8. It has 2 key features. Firstly the gun cam. This sees the ghosts armed with a camera sighting system attached to the XM 8, this lets the ghost hold the weapon above or around cover and engage targets. :o=

When you switch to camera view the sight picture takes on a cool black and white grainy look. The second feature is the new underslung grenade launcher. What we are going to see here is a feature that the OICW should have had. Range activated grenades. You can effectively laser the range of a target and then lock that into the weapon system. When you fire the weapon it will detonate at that range.

Picture this, 3 tangos hidden behind a rock. You lock the range to the rock into the weapon, take a couple of steps forward and fire, the frag will now explode above and beyond the rock killing the tangos!

We saw this feature in action and it was cool.

The land warrior is, as far as I am aware available in 3 ways.

Firstly, we will get to use it in 3 of the campaign missions.

Secondly, a new SP game type –“ lone wolf” lets you play all the campaign missions on your own with the land warrior system.

Thirdly, and this brings us on to multi-player. A Cat and mouse game type will see 1 player armed with the land warrior system against all the other players. When (or if) you die the player who killed you will get the weapon system.

As for other online content we can expect to see the usual range of game types that we are familiar with.

We need to remember that all we have been shown is for the X-Box, I am sure we will see further developments for the PC.

This weekend I will be posting MY views on the probable reasons for the X-Box first route and why I think this was the right way to go!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool - i like the "lone wolf" game aspect. With GR1 and GR:IT i pretty much only play the SP games with one soldier these days anyway so glad they preserved a way for this to be done. I am also glad they limited the use of this weapon to certain missions and how/when it can be used in online play.

it's cool and all but you had to sign and NDA and make us wait for that? i was expecting somthing about the PC version

i think everyone was. as cool as that may be -- and with all due respect to you, zeroalpha -- i can only guess at why you were asked to sign: some gaming magazine (or tv show, or website, or god knows what/who) probably had an exclusive.... and ubi continues to care less about removing their news embargo on the PC version and showing us a few screenshots, or giving us more detailed info about it.

i think i may be getting kinda burnt out on the whole "get cutting-edge, up-to-the-nanosecond news on the 'net" thing, because right now i'm feeling pretty cheap and used. scammed.

that was definitely NOT what we were waiting to hear. ranged grenade explosions? c'mon... any coder worth their salt could write a routine for that in under 100 lines of code. and cat and mouse? they had that game mode in SOAF.... or something vaguely similar....

props to RSE, but i'm soooo over UBI. i wish someone would liberate RSE from their depraved clutches.

EDIT: spelling/grammar.

Edited by walnut

Well i knowen must this features almost 6 mounths ago when they where talking about it over at UBI no wonder why they put a big huss on it soon after! Can't believe they made us wait for this hopen it was something new!

Anyways the lone wolf sounds good for multiplayer but for single i have too say i always played without a AI team i want all the kills hehehehehe.

anyhow good work on clearing it up zeroalpha now i know its true instead of just talk.

Awesome information ZeroAlpha! This is something I could only dream about for Ghost Recon 2 and this takes FPS to a new level. I have to say that I also though something "BIG" was coming straight from UBI today about the PC version, or actually I was more hoping for it then beliving it. But anyway, thanks for the info guys!

I must admit that I too had hoped that there was more to the NDA and we would get more in the way of an official line on the PC version :(

as I posted earlier, I will tell you all what I personaly think (they gave out free drinks at the lunch on the day... :devil:

one thing to remember here is that the X-BOX version will be the PC versions "little brother". What we are waiting to find out is the age difference!

That's a good analogy - let's hope they aren't twin borthers

Other than that, I think your post is pretty exciting. :thumbsup:

I was hoping that the myriad of weapons in GR2 would be as good and as diverse in their usage as the ones in FarCry. In FC every gun is great, it just depends how it's deployed. Now it's sounding like typical GR where it's either the SA80 or the OICW thats gonna dominate.........

And Dannik is right, they just made corner glitching a feature. I'm gonna bet that they didn't fix the collision detection in the game engine either. Since the engine first came out the collision detection was crap, and unless they completely revamped it we're gonna have a game we can't lay down on for fear of making ourselves impossible to hit while being able to shoot the enemy.

I quit playing GR online for this very reason. Many of us have.

Battlefield 2 is looking better all the time.

Edited by ruggbutt

I was hoping that the myriad of weapons in GR2 would be as good and as diverse in their usage as the ones in FarCry. In FC every gun is great, it just depends how it's deployed. Now it's sounding like typical GR where it's either the SA80 or the OICW thats gonna dominate.........

And Dannik is right, they just made corner glitching a feature. I'm gonna bet that they didn't fix the collision detection in the game engine either. Since the engine first came out the collision detection was crap, and unless they completely revamped it we're gonna have a game we can't lay down on for fear of making ourselves impossible to hit while being able to shoot the enemy.

I quit playing GR online for this very reason. Many of us have.

Battlefield 2 is looking better all the time.

the land warrior system is in no way a glitch, it looks well thought out and is an item that will be subject to restriction.

I think it would be wise to wait and see rather than jump in with wild speculation :thumbsup:

hmm wow i was hyped for nothing..i do think someone mentioned something about this alittle while ago, that they put the land warrior thing in GR2. hmm i was hoping for something that would blow my mind..

@ruggbutt.. GR didnt have THAT bad of glitch spots in the maps..i would say your right about BF2 but the game looks dumb to me so GR2 is it in my views

uhm....soundsss..uhm i dunno

sounds like were playing splintercell GR now....

Hopefully how ever its used its optional server side restricted or just as a game type.

will most definatly be restrictable, just gives aus a new angle to play with :thumbsup:

It sounds like a seriously coolnew toy which they've thought about impact on mp game play & restricted it acordingly which is cool. well done R.S.E. :thumbsup:

However I was expecting the PC info media black out to have been lifted & the flood gates of information to flow..... :whistle:

Oh well :blink: I'll look forward to your weekend report & cheers for the new info.

will most definatly be restrictable,

Turning names on in s/p was "restrictable" too. Some enterprising young cheatmaker figured out how to turn on that "option" in m/p, this is no different.

I wish they'd just fix the downsides from GR w/out adding more for m/p servers and players to have to worry about.

Well sounds like they've kept up with the reality of weapon development.

The OICW in GR was the HK prototype weapon which the US army ditched cus it just weighed too damn much.Hence it was split into 2 units one being the now XM8, Cant remeber the GL model (XM29 i think).

During this development they have been experimenting with range set Rounds in the GL also using thermobaric explosives.

Im can't wait to try this out in GR2 sounds awesome, stops them damn glitchers :)