The Pontiac G6

Dick Splash

My dealership should be receiving its first Pontiac G6 this month. It has a new GM 3.5 V6 engine, stacks of leg room and has aggressive European styling throughout. The seats are made by a French company that designs and makes them for Rolls Royce, Audi, Mercedes and BMW. The optional large panoramic room is designed and made by a German company that makes them for Mercedes and the Cadillac XLR.

The car wouldn't go amiss in Britain with a Vauxhall badge on it. Over here in the US, the local culture feels that Pontiac is an old persons car, but GM are having a huge makeover and this little baby will be arriving on the shelves next October. Starting at just under $20k, the most expensive will be $23,500 !!!

DS

The Solstice is only $20k... but you have to use premium fuel... no thanks.

Hmmmm......all of the official GM literature I've read about it hasn't mentioned the requirement of premium fuel! The last I saw was it will have a new 2.4 Ecotec, 4cyl, rear wheel drive engine, which will produce 170hp.

The 04/05 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP with the Competition Group package performs better on premium, but runs perfecty well on regular unleaded. Perhaps that applies to the Solstice.

I've learnt a lot about car culture over here in the last two years of selling them. The about to be launched G6 for example, looks like a European car and has a number of main features actually designed in Europe, but it is made in North America and therefore is a 'domestic' product. However, two popular cars; the Toyota Camry and the Honda Accord are in the same class as the G6, are similarly styled, both sport a Japanese badge and are both made in the US, yet they are classed as imports. Interesting that, because of the badge, the 'US made' import holds a better resale value. I've had some ideas to give the car some exposure when it arrives, one of which is to cover the car's badges with question marks and drive around the town, campus and shopping areas.

Teenagers and early twenty year olds in this town typically want a Jeep Wrangler [males] or an Accord or a Camry [females]. It's a bit of a 'uniform' really, especially those that go to the local university. Another uniform around here is the dress sense of that same group. The lads will wear jeans, a baseball cap pulled low over their head and either trainers [sneakers] or sandals :yawn:....and the girls will wear jeans, or shorts and a t-shirt sporting the university or sorority, trainers or sandals. It's as though the town's full of clones :rolleyes:

I dunno......British students typically aren't as well off, certainly don't have a car and are a lot more stylish. Different cultures I suppose!

DS

The soul of any worthy roadster is the powertrain. The Solstice is powered by a rear-wheel-drive 2.2-liter DOHC supercharged EcoTec four-cylinder engine generating up to 240 horsepower with premium fuel.

;)

Yes i saw that as well Crims'......but;

Hmmmm......all of the official GM literature I've read about it hasn't mentioned the requirement of premium fuel!

DS

Increase in octane != increase in HP.

No.

Increase of octane=decrease in burn speed to reduce spark knock. It also increases carbon formation in low compression engines.

Very true. Octane increase reduces spark knock. I have read where dyno pulls with high octane did increase horsepower readings compared to low octane fuel. The one I'm thinking of is where they ran a Dodge Neon R/T on both 89 octane and 94 octane and it showed a few extra HP on the dyno charts for the 94 octane.

For the benefit of those that don't program occasionally.

= sets something as being equal to (ie a=b sets the value of A to be B)

== checks if something is equal to something else (ie a==b returns 1 if A and B are identical, or 0 if they are not).

!= checks to see if two things are different (ie a!=b returns 0 if a and b are identical, and 1 otherwise).

So basically, what XO said is right.

He just should have explained himself better ;)

Greetings!

I thought I might add that all of the above statements might be true---if this were only a straight combustion engine. However, the OBDII diagnostics will often compensate for increases and decreases in fuel quality, by controlling the air/fuel mixture ratios. This can negate the benefits of using a higher octane.

That is is why many people choose to modify their ECU's with special electronic chips designed to fully utilize the premium fuels by increasing air intake and getting a hotter burn. Also these chips override speed governors. ph34r:

I'd rather go for a Mazda 6. You get good performace, coupled with great fuel ecconomy. Spec is also very good, with some very neat and original features to boot. And typically follows the trend of being yet another reliable Toyota.

And best of all, the prices are very good ann all specs as well!!

And I've had Vauxhalls before, but never really liked 'em that much. Astra M Reg 1.7TD. Good engine, but not reliable at all.

However some of those chips may not be totally legal to use. If you are in a state with emissions testing (like GA, NY, PA or CA to name a few) that actually test the emissions from the tail pipe, you could fail, specially on the loaded dyno tests.

Thats why (down here at least) if you change your ECU (not chip it, fully replace it) you KEEP THE ORIGINAL.

Same thing goes for exhausts, etc.

Put the original back on before you go for the test. Odds are nobody will notice. :shifty:

Amazing news yesterday........Oprah Winfrey gave away 276 of them to each member of her studio audience;

Oprah Winfrey Show

That was probably why she visited the Orion plant in Michigan on the 2nd of September.

DS

yeah for some reason they are telivising that crap at prime time tomorrow night :angry:

Lousy Oprah, if she really cared she'd give me a new car <_<