Richard Burns Rally

Jack57

I've had a chance to try the PC version of this sim now and I can say that it far exceeded my expectations. Quite simply, it is head and shoulders above anything else that has come before it. Be warned though it is very hardcore - no relaxing spin thru the countryside, trouncing the throttle out of every corner, here. It demands utter concentration to contain these wild beasts that are the modern WRC cars :wub:

A PC demo is imminent so if in doubt I would wait for it before making a descision to buy. For those who like them as real as it gets though, do yourself a favour and grab a hold of it :yes:

I got my copy from Sendit.com landed in Australia for $50 :o

They ship world wide. No idea how they do it so cheaply though :unsure:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well I'm still playing this incredible sim almost daily - get's in your blood and takes over :devil:

As you would know it didn't ship with network play but there are so many clever souls these days that it didn't take long for a 3rd party program to pop up. We can now race two player over the Net, and in a few weeks we will be able to race 4 or more., thanks to a dude called Racer_S

So if you are at all inclined, please grab RBRnet 1.7 (down the page in the RBR section) and join the small but growing band of aficionados - you'll never have more fun whilst upright. Promise! :rocky:

Yes amazing isn't it - even FlatOut shipped without Internet play. What are these developers thinking?! :rolleyes:

It does have LAN play I might add which only reinforces why they should have Internet play - FlatOut might be an arcade racer thru and thru, but it's a riot when we play it at LAN meets :D

• 1 month later...

Just a little update: we now have RBRnet 2.1 which allows up to 12 players and has a host of fixes and improvements. There's quite a little community now, so you can nearly always find someone willing to race.

For more info on the game the Blackhole Motorsports forums is the 'watering hole' of choice these days :D

• 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After 1 year I just re-installed this sim. I cannot after all this time understand why I removed it :blink: Since playing GTR1 / 2 for a while and some demos etc. There is NOTHING that beats the physics and realism of feel and movent of the car both playing and viewing via replays .. its awesome.

I think it took me to play a few other things and then go back to it to realy apreciate how good this is.

Tip: out of the box this game was never realy finished off well enough so heres a few pointers of what to install from installing this game out of the box:

** All links are direct to the file or 1 step from the file rather than wading through pages & pages **

PATCH

1. Install the final 1.02 patch

GRAPHICAL AND GAME IMPROVEMENT

2. Download the mod collection pack - HERE (9.8MB)

>> out of this mod pack when you run it install the following that are pretty much fundamental changes/fixes to incomplete things from the game out-of-box <<

1. Binaries - EAX.DLL 4.00 <<-- Latest DLL for better evironmental sound effect

2. Physics - Mikko's Snow 1.00 <<- better pull in thick snow

3. Binaries - Kegetys' RBRdll 1.01 (adds post processing to blur screen without using AA & also gives ff/pause/slow options when viewing replays)

4. Graphics - Kai's WeatherLook 1.02 << -- if nothing else add this!

5. Graphics - Zero2Blur's Particles 1.03 (dust on gravel made much more realistic with more and wind direction effect .. MUCH better than the stock game setting)

6. Seasons - WRC 2006 2.00 (when in season its now updated name/stats/play for 2006 WRC)

7. Graphics - Kai's Windshield Rain 1.00 <<- better water drops wiper smudge etc.

8. Binaries - Dave's CameraHack 3.00 (set your own manual views & freely move camera)

9. In this mod pack there RBRnet which means you can play online (yes that was never in the original game ... shocking!) .. this version in this pack is an older version, the latest GO HERE

AUDIO

Download (12.2MB) one of the best audio pack changes with better gravel fx/new engines etc.

OTHER THINGS

Subaru Car Model & skin 2006 WRC - Bran new model, looks loverly.

New H-shifter plugin .. if you have H shifter with your wheel (Logitech G25 for example) grab the plugin HERE

.. theres are many more things but the above are the defualts that I always set once I install the game a fresh. For plenty more cars / track updates / and more sound mods / things to tweak it to death go here:

http://www.bhmotorsports.com/RBR/downloads

If your into car racing and havent realy tried Rally or even played Colin Mcrae .. sod that, go buy this "SIM" .... START HERE :)

I have noticed alot still into this and coming back, more mods are coming, slowly but surely a track maker is in the works (needed sooooo badly). RBRnet is to be updated with specating etc so contrary to even what I thought the community is far from dead thats for sure (game was out late 2004).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Personal best with Haywood demo course: 5:13:87

Man! This is beyond JooWood's Rally Trophy! :thumbsup:

So did you find a copy then? Amazon has it dirt cheap. Although I'm a bit late to the game, I recently downloaded and installed the demo after reading about it at simHQ. I'm very impressed with the demo and can only assume that the full version is even more impressive.

How do you race against others online? Is there a circuit large enough to allow passing?

So did you find a copy then? Amazon has it dirt cheap. Although I'm a bit late to the game, I recently downloaded and installed the demo after reading about it at simHQ. I'm very impressed with the demo and can only assume that the full version is even more impressive.

How do you race against others online? Is there a circuit large enough to allow passing?

I'm still milking the hell out of the demo, unfortunately. <_< Holiday preps are sucking my gaming time. :angry:

I'm still milking the hell out of the demo, unfortunately. <_< Holiday preps are sucking my gaming time. :angry:

Ah, did you mean "Harwood" Forest then? You mentioned Haywood so I assumed it was one of the other legs that ship with the full version. My best time for the Hardwood Forest demo circuit is 4:14 but I still hope to beat it.

I'm still very curious to know what the online play is like. Anyone?

• 3 weeks later...
I'm still very curious to know what the online play is like. Anyone?

Well officialy the game never had any online play, just over LAN (I know its realy bad eh).

But now RBRnet was created with a lobby to play online, its very good but you see others as simply ghost cars and nothing more, although the updates coming for RBRnet will show full car skins. Seeing as it was never in the original game RBRnet has done wonders.

RBRnet etc can be located HERE.

• 3 weeks later...