Crimson

As some of you know, my old system was an:

Athlon TBird 1.33Ghz

Asus A7M266-M Mobo w/ 266 FSB, KT266 chip

Windows XP Home Edition

512 Megs of PC 2100 DDR SDRAM

40 Gigabyte 5200 RPM Hard Disk Drive

48x CD-ROM

Leadtek WinFast A250 TD (nVidia GeForce 4 Ti 4400 GPU)

Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer

250 Watt PSU

One case fan

Four USB ports

After a couple of hook ups and some out of pocket expenses:

Intel Pentium 4 1.6Ghz

Asus P4S533 Mobo w/ 533/400 FSB, 4x AGP, 5 PCI slots

Windows 2000 Professional SP3

640 Megs of PC2700 DDR SDRAM

60 Gigabyte 7200 Western Digital Hard Disk Drive

48x CD-ROM

52x24x52 Memorex CD-RW Burner

Leadtek WinFast A250 TD (nVidia GeForce 4 Ti 4400 GPU)

Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer

300 Watt PSU

Four case fans

One PCI slot fan

6 USB ports

I think im set for a couple of years. In a day or two ill benchmark this beast. Anyone tried 3D Mark '03 yet?

Crimson, you realize you spent all that money on P4 that was basicly the same speed as your old tbird? Not much changed from the tbird to the XP series, just a few code optimizations. You old tbird = 1.33ghz, Athlon 1600XP = 1.39ghz. Not to mention, any XP under 2000 pr rating can easily beat an equivilant P4 for less money. Heck, mine overclocked to just under 2000XP rating beats a 2ghz P4 based on Sandra numbers.

You'd really been better off to just buy a new nforce2 board for that tbird cpu, which also would have allowed upgrades all the way to 400fsb bartons.

As for 3dmark '03, not used it myself due to the d/l size, but some people have. Look around for a thread on it.

I think im set for a couple of years. In a day or two ill benchmark this beast. Anyone tried 3D Mark '03 yet?
A couple of years? I've got an Athlon XP2000, 512MB of PC2100 and a Radeon 9700PRO; and I'm feeling my rig is starting to become too slow now. :P

I have a feeling that the release of games like Doom III will up the ante of standard system requirements.. It won't be long before 2Ghz CPUs with 1GB RAM and a GeForce FX (or equivalent) is listed under "minimum requirements" ;)

A couple of years? I've got an Athlon XP2000, 512MB of PC2100 and a Radeon 9700PRO; and I'm feeling my rig is starting to become too slow now. :P

That always happens. When ever you upgrade, theres always something still out there that can make your computer a little faster. Ive yet to see a game require over 800 Mhz, and 256MB's of ram... not that Im saying there isnt one. I test my system with FS2002 Pro., and at the moment its running better than ever.

say ur old comp is a car, when compared with my comp ull see the real potential. i use a P3 450Mhz with 256 sdram and Geforce4 mx 440 :)

Best thing u can do to improve ur comp is to replace the Mborad (Nforce chipset would be best). second thing is to get an AMD XP+ which is alot cheaper and faster than an P4. u could get a fair good deal on AMD XP 2000+ and a good Mboard. im going for a nice set of upgrades:

MB: 8RDA+(n-force2)sb,lan,USB2.0

CPU: Athlon XP 2200+ copper fan

MEM: DDR 333 512MB Samsung

u can get all those parts for about 550$ (in my country) maybe in the us it will be cheaper.

Best thing u can do to improve ur comp is to replace the Mborad (Nforce chipset would be best). second thing is to get an AMD XP+ which is alot cheaper and faster than an P4.

No, and No. The mobo isnt ussually going to make the biggest difference if you just switch it. You can get more RAM or a better CPU, OS or a number of things that will make a bigger diff. And AMD XP's DO NOT always beat out P4's. Sometimes yes and sometimes no.

Mb is the most important piece of hardware (imo), it connects all the other stuff. the mem bandwidth and the access speed are very important, a p4 3ghz wont help u much ona p2 MB (even if it would fit). better buy an avrage cpu and avg mb instad of a ultra fast cpu. atleast thats what i think but hey i dont work and dont have an income so money is a big problem...

Mb is the most important piece of hardware (imo), it connects all the other stuff. the mem bandwidth and the access speed are very important, a p4 3ghz wont help u much ona p2 MB (even if it would fit). better buy an avrage cpu and avg mb instad of a ultra fast cpu. atleast thats what i think but hey i dont work and dont have an income so money is a big problem...

Well yeah, of course a P4 mobo aint gonna work with an older CPU. Just like if you take an AT form case and try to stick all ATX parts in it you may encounter probs. Or if you take PC100 ram and stick it into a 184 dimm slot. Or a PCI card into an ISA slot or an 80mm fan into a 60 mm hole. But if you have a pc, exactly the same say the cpu on one is 1.6GHz and the other is also 1.6. But you take computer A and give it a new mobo and take computer B and give it a 3 GHz cpu which makes a bigger diff? <_<

heh u got the better of me but i refered to the older comps, i have two of those p3 866 and p3 450 - on the 866 one i have and old p3 mb and on the second i have an ASUS p2b latest version (dont know the exact version) the other comp was used in a factory and its performance is about 150% of the 866 one....

You game with the P3 866 I am gonna assume and hope. U ever thought of upgrading it? My parents Athlon 800Mhz isnt in any way a bad puter it just isnt the fastest. With a couple hundred bucks it could be quite speedy. :) That is darn impressive for that P2 to be killin the 866 though. ;)

The 450 is ona asus p2b (its a p3 not p2) :) this mb is a costum made for my da'ds factory (he bought it for 10$ :D :D ) also the 866 wont work good with winXP/2k :( oh one more thing bout my 450, its a multitasking thing (dont really know much bout this, something with pipelines, kinda like the xeon)

The 450 is ona asus p2b (its a p3 not p2) :) this mb is a costum made for my da'ds factory (he bought it for 10$ :D :D ) also the 866 wont work good with winXP/2k :( oh one more thing bout my 450, its a multitasking thing (dont really know much bout this, something with pipelines, kinda like the xeon)

Custom mb??? What about multitasking? I know the P4 isnt so good for it cause of all the pipelines a prgrm has to run through and all. Like 20 for the P4 and 15 IIRC or less for the Athlon XP.

teh mb was made for my dad's factory (a big international vegetarian food company). they needed high performance comps back in 97' (i think it was 97).

they upgraded in 00' so my dad bought it for 10$

about the multitasking its what ive heard from the company, not too sure how it works or if it does even exsist

Multitasking is a simple term for doing more than one thing at once. Have you chatted on AIM/ICQ/IRC and also surfed the Internet on IE/Netscape/Mozilla? If so, you were multitasking :P

Stinger, DDR makes less notice of increase mbs than sdram ever did. I find 256mb acceptable for almost anything but just a couple of games. Anyone using over 512mb is basicly wasting their money for no reason, unless its a server, but thats another story.

CPU gain is according. With the way cpus are now, someone going from a 2ghz cpu to a 2.5 or 3ghz will probably notice little to no difference. PCs are way faster than we need for current task.

But quality mbs, even from different manufacturers, but same chipset, can have vastly differing performance. That's why I rely on quality reviews (you'll quote just about anyone) to pick whatever I'm going to buy.

Stinger, DDR makes less notice of increase mbs than sdram ever did. I find 256mb acceptable for almost anything but just a couple of games. Anyone using over 512mb is basicly wasting their money for no reason, unless its a server, but thats another story.
HA, I would never go to 256 again and I have used nearly all my 512 b4. When you have 25 windows open at the same time and a couple are high end prgrms then you need it.

CPU gain is according. With the way cpus are now, someone going from a 2ghz cpu to a 2.5 or 3ghz will probably notice little to no difference. PCs are way faster than we need for current task.
So true. But going from a 450 to a 2.4 is gigantic.