Spielberg does War of the Worlds!

migryder

Never got into the book?!!!! What? It's one of the best books I've ever read. Shame spielberg will hollywoodise it and mess it up. I'd like to see a true representation of the book, starting on horsell common. Even better if it had the Jeff Wayne soundtrack. Don't remember any children in the book though. No doubt she will be his daughter and she also manages to survive the heat rays and they have an emotional embrace at the end as the camera pans out over a destroyed london America.

as the camera pans out over a destroyed london America.
Probably New York. It usually is.

For example: Independance Day, The Day After Tomorrow, Godzilla (the 1998 version), Deep Impact, Armageddon, and probably more that I can't remember.

I haven't actually heard anything about The War of the Worlds being set there, but it does strike me as likely.

what I read was 100 ft tall machines around London. UK I think, not London,Texas. Although London TX has a pretty good dance hall. I've seen a lot of complaints about directors screwing up fav books, comics, creatures, etc. I've had to sit through several butcher jobs of Dune and even Children of Dune(my fav) but they tried to do a hard to do project. If there is one director I would want to try and make a movie out of a book, true to it or not, its Spielberg. We're talking - Duel, Close Encounters, Raiders of The Lost Arc, ET, Forest Gump, Saving Private Ryan,...... It is in very early stages. I saw sites listed in a Yahoo search that have the old radio broadcasts(org) and the newer ones that were done for halloween once upon a time. If you have never heard one it can be fun for awhile anyway. My first impressions are from a comic book my older brother had waaaay back and I loved the artists' rendering of those machines... H.G. Wells, War of The Worlds, cerca 1898. We know that huge walking machines can be readily depicted in a film as in Star Wars...

mig :ph34r:

Edited by migryder

@Chems

War of the Worlds is about 100ft tall tripod machines from Mars walking around a late Victorian England destroying all that come in their path with a deadly heat ray. The story follows a gentleman who goes across the country, ending up in a desolate London.

The Jeff Wayne sound track is well worth buying, especially the track Eve of War (if you wish to download it using a popular P2P system).

As Migryder said there was a radio broadcast back in the 1938s that was based on the book, but done through a news broadcasts style, with real life locations local to the area of broadcast. This resulted in mass panic with people fleeing their homes to avoid being the victim of these deadly machines of death. http://members.aol.com/jeff1070/wotw.html

wow...day fo the triffids...now that was a movie, giant moving man eating plants, and a man taking them on with a flame thrower... :rolleyes:

I couldn't remember, in which novel did it start off describing the guy being in hospotial?

EDIT: I meant out of the day of the triffids and War of the worlds... :rolleyes:

Edited by Private B

Heres is a list of the 35'736'285 books which start with a man in hospital.

List

@KP couldnt be arsed to wait in line to download that track, yeah thats rite I cant be arsed to pay for it or wait for it. If it aint free it isnt worth paying for.

Also that news article was funny, cant imagine people running round screaming the aliens are coming with there death rays. *chuckle

You can scroll through the news section here and check out some of the chatter regarding the film. It appears the film is on a fast track, and no unfortunately it won't take place in the period that Wells put in. Spielberg is also working on a film entitled Mossad,it will be about the Israelis "Wrath of God" campaign following the Olympic terrorist acts.

http://www.spielbergfilms.com/newsarchive.html

mig :ph34r:

Edited by migryder

• 9 months later...

Saw it today, liked it. Elements from the original film are included. Left with some questions like why include that or this element though. Easter Egg - portable anti-tank wep I've never seen Hollywood reference before.

The Death Ray is awesome.

mig

Edited by migryder