Dis recommendation for Registery Cleaner

Chems

The registery cleaner in the threads here, the one Phantm Sniper recommends seriously ######ed my PC up, it deleted the enteries for the NTFS file system and has caused me to have to remove my HD take it to another computer rescue my files re format and reinstall. To be fair I wanted to do something like this to clean my PC up but not in this manner. You cant fix the problem either cause you cannot access your HD because the NTFS wont allow you your admin powers. So ######! Dont do it, if it aint broke dont fix it!

windoctor part of norton system works seems to be the only one i have seen that may not potentially cause a problem. Anyone have any issues with it?

With that being said, usually you don't need a registry cleaner. heck i've had over 80gbs of programs alone (not including data) and no issues. What kind of issues are you having that made you decide to clean it?

The registery cleaner in the threads here, the one Phantm Sniper recommends seriously ######ed my PC up, it deleted the enteries for the NTFS file system and has caused me to have to remove my HD take it to another computer rescue my files re format and reinstall. To be fair I wanted to do something like this to clean my PC up but not in this manner. You cant fix the problem either cause you cannot access your HD because the NTFS wont allow you your admin powers. So ######! Dont do it, if it aint broke dont fix it!

You didn't back your registry up first, did you?

Also, the thing you have to remember also is that you have to go through the list of stuff that it finds, not just do a wholesale delete of everything ANY reg cleaner or spyware cleaner finds.

WinXP and Win9x as well as 2K all have critical files that will show up on spyware scans and reg cleanouts. You can't just delete everything they find.

And the most important thing is to back your registry up first, ALWAYS ! !

That way when things go fubar, you go into safe mode and restore the registry by double clicking the exported file, or if things are worse, use the XP CD to boot, and fix it from the recovery console, or do a quick reinstall over the current XP install to bring it back.

The thing to remember is CAUTION when using any tools that deal with the registry.

Agreed Phantom,

Anytime you are playing in the registry by all means export a registry backup first and formost!!!

It's kinda late for this advice! All I can say is you are always learning these things by doing. And I bet it will never happen again! Right?

Lesson learned?::: Backup Registry before making any changes to the Registry!

Words of wisdom from your Ol'e PAPPY

Well I cant access the backup cause it deleted the NTFS system file which means I have no admin powers to access my C: drive, Id love to here ideas but Ive had evesham (the top UK PC support people) on the phone a lot of times and they say Im screwed also. Gotta pay £117 an hour for a guy to come out and recover the data.

A question Chems.

What registry program or spyware removal program did you use?

I have never recommended a registry cleaner, as I never use one, I do my registry work manually.

The guys at the 'puter shop are trying to stick you. If the drive isn't showing up, the jumper may be wrong, but all files should show up.

Also, if you get with me, we can probably salvage this, but it's your choice.

But I have never, ever recommended a registry cleaning tool, EVER.

I have however, recommended 2 spyware removers and an immunizer, which just about everyone uses.

No you never did, it was in the thread about the cleaning stuff. I didnt mean to imply it was you who told me, because when I think back it wasnt you, please forgive my mistake its been mad.

Im now runnig a second HD and could stick in the other HD as it hasnt been sent off just yet. I already plugged the HD into a working PC, it showed up in my computer and all, but couldnt open it. It really seems to be screwed.

Download Knoppix Linux, burn to CD, then insert CD and boot. Set your boot device to be the CD drive Knoppix is in.

Knoppix is my Live CD of choice, and it most certainly can be used to READ NTFS partitions, although it won't write to them unless you force it to, which is a bad idea.

You can recover anything from a HD via this method. Also, Knoppix runs entirely out of RAM, so you never install anything anywhere (again, unless you want to).

Chems and I have just had a long conversation about using a linux live filesystem CD like Knoppix for data recovery. I've personally used Knoppix for this sort of work several times, so I can vouch for it's usefulness in times like these.

I've also found a very handy link going into intricate detail about performing first aid on a soured Windows installation. Find the guide here. Knoppix will read NTFS just fine, but it will not write to them, meaning you can recover data to a FAT hard drive, to a floppy drive or other removable drive, or simply burn directly from NTFS to CDR(W).

Chems, with all the modding you do, you should be backing up your data on a regular basis (burned on a CD-RW, or external drive), ideally after every modding session! With fast and cheap CD burners and media these days, this shouldn't take long or cost much.

Remember the most valuable stuff on your HD is your data. You can always reinstall Windows or your apps if you hose your system.

Personally, with WinXP, I hardly ever clean out a registry unless I notice a significant slow down. And if that happens, the first thing to do is scan for viruses and spyware anyway. I think the only time I've done a major cleanout was when switching from an Nvidia to an ATI card because of driver installation issues.

Defragging, cleaning registries etc. was mainly an issue with slowing down Win9x and the FAT file system. (Hardcore users reinstalled Win9x twice a year anyway ;) )

With Win 2K/XP and NTFS and huge HDs, defragging and cleaning out registries is less of an issue, unless you are constantly installing/uninstalling apps all the time.