Ghost Recon.net Forums

Is it really worth it?

Ok, have seen the website and video trailer...

The models look great - but the characters look really clunky - and it's weird how they don't hold their rifles into their shoulder...

Is this the case in VBS1 - or does the video not do justice to the game?

It looks like a good game, but $AUD 200 is a lot of dinero to run around and shoot people (something GR does well)

How does she run on 'normal' systems?

There Not Clunky Mate... i game shots Don't do them Justice and BTW Video is an Early Beta... for beter Idea see Screenshots...

Re Rifle handling...that would be only downside... Even GR has same problem.....

But what you get over GR is way and beyond worth it.... engagement ranges are not stuck at 200M and below, AI leaves any other FPS out there for Dead.... AI will do more than OFP AI....

Range of awesome models, weapons, vechiles....Maps are huge... not any 400M by 400M... we are talking KM's here...

And Terrain and Vegetation are great for Ambushes and Cam and Concealment..

It use to run on Dek's older System...but if you want good graphics etc A higher Spec Machine is always handy.. what sort of beast are you running Stewy?

Gordo and myself were talking about this the other night. Or was it morning? Anyway, we were talking about engagement ranges in VBS1, about the vast difference between GR and VBS1. In Ghost Recon, most engagements took place from about 50 - 150 m. It wasn't until the enemy was within about 40 or 50 m that you were really in trouble. In VBS1, most engagements take place beyond 150 m. Many times, you'll be engaging soldiers at 500 m and beyond, and you may not know if you actually killed your target. All you'll know is that the shooting stopped. In some cases, you may not even see the target.

I've found that if the enemy gets within 100 m, you're in alot of trouble. That's opening into M203 range, and the AI in VBS1 love explosives. They will launch grenades, throw grenades, fire LAW's, and lay down suppressive fire like you've never seen.

Anyway, that's just one aspect of the combat experience in VBS1. You can't imagine how cool and exciting it is to ride in on a Blackhawk, and have to jump out quickly and get down, because there's so much lead coming in that the bird is getting riddled like there's no tomorrow. Also superior to GR is the sniping capabilites. What you call a 'sniper' in GR, is what I do with my M4 in VBS1. Bragging rights don't even start in VBS1 until you're past 500 meters, and you're really nothing special unless you can make hits out past 1000 meters. In Ghost Recon, 200 meter hits were considered special, and all you had to do was put the crosshairs over your target and fire. In VBS1, you've got to account for range, bullet drop, target movement, weapon cant (if you're laying down at the right angle) and stability of the weapon. In short, being a good sniper in VBS1 is an art, and it takes practice.

To wrap this up, the combat experience in VBS1 is vastly superior to that of Ghost Recon. The degree to which the experience is superior is something that you have to see for yourself. And trust me, when you're taking more fire than you've ever thought possible, you won't notice how anyone is holding their weapon. You'll just be looking for something to get underneath.

gordo and para seem to have wrapped things up pretty well i think. to try and compare GR and VBS1 is like chalk and cheese. nearly every factor from movement and contact to ballistics and realistic wound damage has been moddeled into the core product with no extra modding needed. yes maps are a lot larger, sometimes inserts can take several minutes compared to seconds in GR. and as stated earlier, contacts tend to be over greater distance and of longer duration. i have been pinned down by enemy fire for up to half an hour at times. and there are no super AI one shot kills either. although a good sniper will take you at 1000m + on a regular basis. on the players side things are the same. do more dot on for a hit, you need to think range, lead, drop and placement for your rounds to hit and be effective. anywho the list is to long to go on with, so to cut the story short the answer to your question is a definate YES!!

cheers......

Thanks heaps guys - certainyl a lot of food for thought.

what sort of beast are you running Stewy?

Intel P4 2.0 gig, 768 RAM, Nvidia Card (not sure which sort, but a pretty good one), Win XP SP1

It goes alright... ;)

Well, VBS1 ought to run slightly better on that rig than what it does on mine (P4 1.8Ghz, 1024Mb of RAM and a GF FX5200 card) and I can't say I have any complaints about the appearance of things ingame. Got my viewdistance set up to 1600 meters and regularly engage targets out to 600 without much of a problem. Only complaint I have is that my K56 connection causes some small lag problems at times in MP, lots less than what I got used to with GR though. And now I'm also running TS for comms.

it used to run on my old rig wich was a 566 p3 with 192m ram and a gf2 card, with low quality mind you, on both sp and mp. runs better on my nwe rig, 3.0ghz p4 with 512m ram and radeon 9600xt, with all settings max and 2000m view :thumbsup:

so stewy, yeah, should be fine on your's

cheers......

• 2 weeks later...

I run it on an old steam driven 850mhz, 512Ram with a GF4 128 ti4200.

I have the detail set to normal as opposed to high and have the view distance at 1000m. It's not perfect, but I don't experience that much trouble.

Your PC is like a wet dream for me, so you shouldn't even worry.