VBS1 for North America

Dan

Just had a looky at the VBS Resourves forums, and a fellow from "Coalescent Technologies Corporation" by the name of Greg has popped up.

He has been hammered with various questions re: the US/Canada version of VBS1. These are some of the important facts:

* US buyers WILL NOT be able to buy the USMC pack, US Army/National Guard pack, and the After Action Review (AAR) pack. They may be able to in the future, but it wont be the same as the current version distributed by BIA.

This means that if you wanna play MP with an american, the mission better not be scripted to inbolve USMC units.

* The VBS1 Core module is exactly the same, as are all other add ons (maps, ADF etc)

* Possesing a copy of VBS1 with the international USMC pack, US Army/National Guard pack, or the After Action Review (AAR) pack is Illegal, so Greg and his mates will go spare if they find out.

Also, Coalescent arent actually making anything, they are just distributing BIS's program, made by BIS's subsiduary, BIA.

If any of you yankees wanna purchase VBS1,

HERE is the place to do it.

If you wanna read some blurb etc, this is the Coalescent VBS1 site:

www.virtualbattlefieldsystems.com

It's a pity that CTCorp seems to have a foreign object in their collective posterior. They purposefully misrepresent themselves on their website, institute ridiculous policies (no USMC pack) and their salesman is just too pushy. At the risk of opening a big can, I'll go on record and say that I noticed an immediate change on the VBS boards when VBS1 went public in the US and the CTCorp rep showed up. It seems that a number of my countrymen have forgotten to take their manners into cyberspace; the attitudes of prospective American customers are embarrassing, to put it lightly. On top of that, the CTCorp's rep wasted no time moving right in making his sales pitches. Sheesh...

Edited by Parabellum

It seems that a number of my countrymen have forgotten to take their manners into cyberspace; the attitudes of prospective American customers are embarrassing, to put it lightly.

my favourite:

Drop the price BIS and we'll buy it

Its good the site has good moderators who are quick with the shoot down on idiots.

and poor CLT Greg, he is gunna cop alot of crap. Probably best he hasnt posted in the guest forum.

It seems that a number of my countrymen have forgotten to take their manners into cyberspace; the attitudes of prospective American customers are embarrassing, to put it lightly.

my favourite:

Drop the price BIS and we'll buy it

Its good the site has good moderators who are quick with the shoot down on idiots.

and poor CLT Greg, he is gunna cop alot of crap. Probably best he hasnt posted in the guest forum.

Yes, probably so. He seems like a really nice guy; I've exchanged a few PM's with him, and he's very friendly and approachable. I don't care for CTCorp, but Greg seems to be a nice fellow.

I some questions about VBS1

1. It comes with something like 8 training missions so do you have to have the USMC or NGuard packs to play them.

2. Does VSB1 provide support for people who have questions about using the mission edtor, scripting etc..

3. Are we really missing out not having USMC and the other (RESTRICTED :wacko: ) modules or does this game rule with what they are allowing us (Americans to have)

4. If you download a module from the VSB1 resurces and it has any USMC that means it will not work with our North American Versions?

1. - You don't need any restricted modules to play VBS1. I would say that the game involves more Aussie units/terrain than anything else.

2. - The VBS team offers excellent support. Although, IIRC, there is a manual for the editor on the install disk. VBS1's mission editor is fairly easy to use, much more so than IGOR.

3. - You're not missing out on much by not having the USMC pack. Off the record, I really don't think CTCorp has any business telling Americans they can't have modules that are available to people from other countries. Once again, it's just a stupid decision by a company that has no business being involved.

4. - If the addon or mission requires something that you don't have, you won't be able to use that addon or mission. But trust me when I say that you're not missing out by not having the USMC addon. Get the SF1 addon or the ADF1 addon, and you'll have plenty of nice units.

Parrabellum it sounds like you and I share some of the same opinions on what games are good. I am going to buy VSB1 but

1. I need to know what core modules I really need to play now and with others.

2. As soon as I get DSL I want to play with others online are you going to form a team?

3. Are you in the US or overseas?

4. Also I am thinking about going from a 2.4 processor to a 3.2 and I am wondering will it make my games run any better? I have Geforec 5900 ultra and it is a so so card and it runs flashpoint well unless I have 8 tanks and one hundred guys fighting at once. In all the OPF missions it never lags.

5. Does VSB1 need a better system than OPF

I know I ask a lot of questions but I am doing research because this will obviously be the most expensive game I have bought and with upgrading etc a person needs to cut corners to get the most bang for their buck. I am going to spend several hundred dollars this month on my rig or games and I want to do it right :shifty:

When I have played OPF found the tank controls a little difficult to work. I never understood what I could do as a commmander only the driver and when I flew the helicopter it seemed like one of the rockets would fire and the other one never did when commands were given.

I think that it is wrong that people from other countries can get USMC mods and we can not :angry: as a matter of fact it makes no sense whatsoever and I would love to hear their explanation :whistle:

I have well over 40 Missions on My Pc for VBS1... and only three use any untis from the Marine Pack, marine pack has great helos' and models but in terms of missions out there I'd get ADF pack and SF1 pack. As well as Terrain 1 and most def Terrain 2 Pack...

Re: PC requirements, there is a huge spread of specs that run the game.

Some guys have huge beast machines, no dramas. There was even a post at VBS resources from a bloke that was running it below the minimum requirements, he was wingeing about something :P

I think Dek was even running it below minimum at one stage.

But then there is me.

I am the only known person who has a PC above the minimum requirements, who cant run it. Best guess is that an egg with a lightbulb on it would outperform my graphics card, even though it looks good on paper. :angry:

Re: PC requirements, there is a huge spread of specs that run the game.

Some guys have huge beast machines, no dramas. There was even a post at VBS resources from a bloke that was running it below the minimum requirements, he was wingeing about something :P

I think Dek was even running it below minimum at one stage.

But then there is me.

I am the only known person who has a PC above the minimum requirements, who cant run it. Best guess is that an egg with a lightbulb on it would outperform my graphics card, even though it looks good on paper. :angry:

Yeah VBS runs on just about everything for some reason and MP wise the net code is well done... I've had two 56K'ers log onto my own net coonection and play VBS no worries, even managed 10 a one time, but with some issues as well.

well that is it then :D I am going to order it this week.

If I am can play it on my 2.4 gig machine a gig of ddr ram and a average 128 mg video card with a 56k connection then there is no reason to wait any longer. :rolleyes:

I will spend a some hours getting familiar with it and then I will post and let you all know when I am ready to join a server. :o= If anyone here wants just send me a email when you are playing and the neccesary information I need to know to join a game (mission whatever) and If I am not working or sleeping I will play with others on this forum :rocky:

I just hope it BLOWS AWAY operation flashpoint because I play it all the time and I am very ready for the NEXT LEVEL IN TACTICAL WAR GAMES!!!!!

Do you all play against the computer and do you each command squads like in opf?

or do you each command AI squads and play each other?

I have only played Rouge Spear and Ghost Recon on Gamespy and I am not familiar with playing OPF on multiplayer or how it is done. I am use to four man teams playing AI or other four man teams

If I am can play it on my 2.4 gig machine a gig of ddr ram and a average 128 mg video card with a 56k connection then there is no reason to wait any longer. :rolleyes:

I will spend a some hours getting familiar with it and then I will post and let you all know when I am ready to join a server. :o= If anyone here wants just send me a email when you are playing and the neccesary information I need to know to join a game (mission whatever) and If I am not working or sleeping I will play with others on this forum :rocky:

I just hope it BLOWS AWAY operation flashpoint because I play it all the time and I am very ready for the NEXT LEVEL IN TACTICAL WAR GAMES!!!!!

Do you all play against the computer and do you each command squads like in opf?

I have only played Rouge Spear and Ghost Recon on Gamespy and I am not familiar with playing OPF on multiplayer or how it is done. I am use to four man teams playing AI or other four man teams

Yeah mate, VBS1 will fly on your computer. :D

And there are a few people with VBS1 now on this site, if you want agame just PM one of the lads here and they'll sort you out. PM myself or indeed anyone here that has VBS fo details... with your 56K might be bit slow fom the USA, but there are a few people with VBS in the USA now and Canada.

Indeed it isa great experience playing VBS1 and playing MP VBS1 is awesome...

Usually we play CO-Op against computer, sometimes juts Humans playing BLUFOR, sometimes with AI for ammo etc and sometimes we play on both sides and duke it out to see who can shoot/ hide/ move etc the best... lots of flanking going on there... :devil:

@ Long Shanks which add ons you getting?

;) I am going to buy the AF,Terrain 1&2, SF,

amd maybe OPFS, do you have the oppsing forces addon?

Wow $450.00 bones for a realistic battle simulation. I tell yall one thing If I had not heard nothing but great reviews, I would never ever contemplate spending this kind of money for a game (I know it is not a game) :rolleyes:

It is a good thing I am not married, I could not imagine the grief I would get trying to explain this purchase to a woman :wacko:

What I am looking forward to is downloading other missions from fellow users this may end up being the only game I want to play for years to come. :D

I have a friend who has never played GR, OPF,SWAT3, or anything, he has battlefield vietnam and thinks it is cool :rofl: his jaw will drop when he sees this :rofl:

Has anyone here talked to anyone from Convelesant (whatever their name is )

and asked them WHY those of us in N America can't get USMC or the Replay??

Gordo Viper

lots of flanking going on there... 

And flanking of the flankers. I was so excited that night, I thought we'd have you for sure.

if its the night im thinkin of then yeah, i thought ao too. right up until the hot lead in the back of me skone

cheers......

BTW, longshanks, definately get the opfor add on

@ Longshanks: I'd recommend both terrain packs, the OPFOR pack, and either the SF pack or the ADF pack. I really don't use many of the friendly units that much, but I make good use of the OPFOR and the terrains. Terrain 1 is the islands from OFP, but with various improvements. Terrain 2 has 3 distinct islands. Desert is my favorite. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Since quite a few modders and players from GR are moving over, I'm wondering if there will be any mods of the GR quality; ie with new skins etc. With such mods wouldn't the need for the add-on packs be lessened to a certain degree?

150 for the core simulation seems steep just there, and if one needs two-three extra packs to go online to meet people it certainly begins to looks steep...

Since quite a few modders and players from GR are moving over, I'm wondering if there will be any mods of the GR quality; ie with new skins etc. With such mods wouldn't the need for the add-on packs be lessened to a certain degree?

150 for the core simulation seems steep just there, and if one needs two-three extra packs to go online to meet people it certainly begins to looks steep...

So far, my Rangers addon is the only 'big' addon out. Other folks are working on some, which will provide more variety, I'm sure. I've also got SEALs, Special Forces, 1990's Delta/Rangers, OPFOR, and AFSOC addons in the works.