Best First Person Shooter?

longshankslives

I just wanted to know what my fellow gamers think regarding this question

I have played almost all of the FPS that were ever well known. Far Cry and Max Pane were ok, GTA was ok,Delta Force (it was so so)Never like Unreal now I just have DOOM 3 for those style of games.

The only other FPS games I still own are

Swat3,Ghost Recon,Operation Flashpoint,Raven Shield, Rouge Spear

Swat3 and Raven Sheild hmmm I go with Swat 3 :because Raven Shield is very very unrealistic in the way you get shot during the game. I think Swat 3 is more realistic for CQB shifty:

Operation Flashpoint vs Ghost Recon

they both have things the other does not have, they are good in different ways

but if I could have only one it would be OPF :rocky:

so Swat 3 and OPF

what do you guys think are the best of the games I mentioned? Just curious not trying to start my game is better than your game thread :whistle:

The worst first person shooter in my recent memory (in my opinion) was Soldier of Fortune 2, I hated it

and by FAR the worst game I have bought in five years or maybe ever was traitors gate 2

it is a unplayable nightmare, the guy who programmed that should get into another line of work

what do you guys think are the best of the games I mentioned?

I would have to say it is a draw between Rogue Spear and Ghost Recon, i played both games for years, but that was mainly because of all the mods made for both games.

My all time would be ... GR, mainly becuase of all the people i met playing it, :wub: Team [GRNET]

WHAT? you freak! don't you realise that all these "people" are just pixles!? AAAHRG! you are a crazy PIXEL LOVER!! :nono: now look, I know you may be sobbing (from grief) right now (watch the keyboard mano), but it just another hard cold fact of life... Plus I don't know why I'm telling you this....after all you are just a bunch of pixles....AHELLLPLP!!!!!!! IM IN a matrix! :blink::wacko::unsure:

Duke Nukem, a game way ahead of it's time. Think of the interaction--reflection in the mirror, working toilets, sinks, drinking fountains, great one liners, ladies, and probably the best closing audio of any video game ;) . Tactics wise, Rainbow series even with the somewhat stiff ai back then, it was good training for slicing the pie and being aware of your surroundings.

Duke Nukem, a game way ahead of it's time. Think of the interaction--reflection in the mirror, working toilets, sinks, drinking fountains, great one liners, ladies, and probably the best closing audio of any video game ;) .  Tactics wise, Rainbow series even with the somewhat stiff ai back then, it was good training for slicing the pie and being aware of your surroundings.

I'd have to say for a true FPS, Duke Nukem3d and Doom2. Benchmarks in the genre.

As for CQB, I'd have to say SWAT3, which up until a bit ago, I still played. Awesome game. But I am also a Die Hard Redstorm fan with the R6 and RS series'. That is, unless they dump GR2 in our laps and it sucks. :ph34r:

Squad wise, I hacve to say GR because I haven't had the chance to play OFP.

IMHO, HL stunk at MP. Just another version of Unreal, which is fine if you are into run 'n' gun games.

Edited by PhantmSniper

well i got quite a bit of favorite FPS

Ghost Recon

Mech Warrior 4

Heavy Gear 2

Heavy Gear

Doom2 [although these kind of games suck]

Armored Core Silent Line

Duke Nukem [love this series baby yeah!]

thats what i like so far ill put a updated list soon

Ghost Recon :yes: The GR demo got me hooked on this game which I still play on a regular basis. On the other hand I got the OFP demo thinking I would have another military game to be hooked on but I must say I thought it was terrible. :(

Ghost Recon :yes: The GR demo got me hooked on this game which I still play on a regular basis. On the other hand I got the OFP demo thinking I would have another military game to be hooked on but I must say I thought it was terrible. :(

How much of a chance did you give OFP? It's definitely an acquired taste, something you have to get used to. But next time you're playing GR, ask yourself if you could HALO in to where you are, and then remember that you could in OFP. :)

Of the ones mentioned, Rogue Spear holds the best memories for me - closely followed by Ghost Recon. Third place goes to Raven Shield, dang pity that one never took off with 'the crew' as much as RS and GR did. Sure, single-player is great, but tactical shooters like those always required multiplayer with good friends for them to stay long on my harddrive.

SWAT3 is great too, but I never got into the multiplayer and single-player got old fast enough. Same with Operation Flashpoint, which actually has a pretty "big" single-player campaign, but it was too clunky and slow-paced for my taste. I like to get right into the action and the long, quiet parts of OFP with cutscenes, dialogue and driving/flying into combat zones had me pulling my hair out. Still a landmark game, though :)

Hidden & Dangerous 2 ranks high with me and is the number-one game I install whenever I get the WWII cravings. (And if I've got the patience, I usually go and download the latest Half-Life patch and Day of Defeat version as well, for that multiplayer fix.)

As for the "normal" first person shooters, I thought Soldier of Fortune 2 was pretty good - way above the original. The story was way too predictable, but hey, people play it for the action.

And I don't care what anyone says, Half-Life is a great game - and that's coming for a guy that never even finished it! :D

To throw in a few more titles here...

-Any Dark Forces/Jedi Knight game, especially Jedi Outcast. Arguably the best Star Wars FPS ever, if not tied with the original Dark Forces.

-Unreal II. The reviewers (except me) all called it short and same-old, same-old; but I really enjoyed it. Great graphics, varied levels and I actually liked the story and characters.

-FarCry, one of the best shooters this year. Which brings me to...

-Doom 3. Man, they call this a partial remake of the original Doom, but old Doom never had me this scared. Some of the best graphics of all time and good ol' shooter action.

Then there are the 'hybrid' games, like the Thief, Deus Ex and System Shock series. I've got lots of great memories from Deus Ex and System Shock 2, and Thief: Deadly Shadows is lots of fun. (Never played Thief and Thief 2, so I have no idea if Deadly Shadows is better or worse than those.)

Rogue Spear probably robbed me of the most time. OFP more recently, but Rogue Spear stands out more because I was in school and had a lot more time to play.

Also was the first game that I made a mod for:

pk_ss.jpg

pb_ss.jpg

ak104_ss.jpg

In fact, I want to find it again and reinstall. RvS just doesn't do it for me.

Edited by Earl

Hidden & Dangerous 2 ranks high with me and is the number-one game I install whenever I get the WWII cravings. (And if I've got the patience, I usually go and download the latest Half-Life patch and Day of Defeat version as well, for that multiplayer fix.)

As for the "normal" first person shooters, I thought Soldier of Fortune 2 was pretty good - way above the original. The story was way too predictable, but hey, people play it for the action.

And I don't care what anyone says, Half-Life is a great game - and that's coming for a guy that never even finished it! :D

To throw in a few more titles here...

-Unreal II. The reviewers (except me) all called it short and same-old, same-old; but I really enjoyed it. Great graphics, varied levels and I actually liked the story and characters.

-FarCry, one of the best shooters this year. Which brings me to...

-Doom 3. Man, they call this a partial remake of the original Doom, but old Doom never had me this scared. Some of the best graphics of all time and good ol' shooter action.

Nuff said. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Every one is saying that Doom3 is scary....Nothing scares me!!

Edited by [Wx] .:Nightmare:.

I would have to say that this thread is a very bad idea. <_< By nature such a question is subjective and based on personal likes, dislikes, and preferences. Asking a generalized question such as 'what is best' inevitably invites the dreaded spectre of comparisons which leads to versus threads. A question such as "What title best portrays..." can avoid the inevitable arguments. All I can say is IBTL.

Well, if the GR series is to be included as an FPS, then I must say it gets my vote. I've stuck with it the longest and it is the game I liked enough to learn how to edit it. Right now I'm all wrapped up in Far Cry - the more times I play a level the more I find! Before that, I've been stuck on military shooters with the one exception of AVP2/Primal Hunt. I love AVP2 and yes even Primal Hunt(where else can you get torched by your own flamethrower guy?) Those two are three different campaigns in one game and each one requires a different approach, not to mention that as an alien you go through three different phases with much different ability(but then, thats not a shooter is it, more of a FP Ripper!) I tried Rogue Spear and SOAF after GR and just did not like them. I enjoyed BHD more than that even if the AI is less than a tactical shooter should be. I may have to try DOOM 3 since I've enjoyed FC so much, but I've read that it can be dissapointing. If you've played Far Cry once through or even twice, you've only begun to scratch the surface my freind. The cheap tricks and dirty stunts just keep on and on... I'll say this for CoD - crossing the Volga was a hoot! You just knew when you got across they would only give you some bullets too. Looking forward to Kursk.

mig :ph34r:

Hmm... Best FPS... I'd have to go with SWAT3 and VBS1. SWAT3 owns CQB. Period.

Amen... SWAT3 is also the most tactically challanging game I've played.

But, I'm still going strong with AA:SF... I love this game so much, and I don't know why.

I would have to say that this thread is a very bad idea. By nature such a question is subjective and based on personal likes, dislikes, and preferences. Asking a generalized question such as 'what is best' inevitably invites the dreaded spectre of comparisons which leads to versus threads. A question such as "What title best portrays..." can avoid the inevitable arguments. All I can say is IBTL. quote by Hatchetforce

Maybe I should have been politically correct and said "what is your favorite FPS"

Of course this is subjective. I mean I read one guy who said that loved "soldier of fortune 2" on this post. I hated the game though I enjoyed the first one. It does not mean he is wrong or I am right (of course I am :rocky: )

Parrabellum seems to have the same appreciation of games as me so I say that he must be right ( :D )

I just really wanted to find out some new titles that I had not yet played. I am interested in checking out "hidden and dangerous" it sounds interesting but I am tired of the unreal engines. I want to play new engines with smart AI.

My next big purchase will be VBS1