GR2: Skybox dynamic.

deleyt

Wouldn't it be great to have a dynamic skybox to simulate day to night and back?

In GR1 the engine was limited to static textures on the skybox and I believe GR2 is using the same system: non-animated, non-scrolling textures (not sure though).

I'm no programmer, but I don't think it would be such a big deal to make the textures for the skybox scroll (prefferably) or animate just like the textures do in the game, as the code is already there.

Making a dynamic skybox would be real easy in that case as you could work with 2 layers where the front layer uses alpha-textured clouds (colour-burned) and the second layer would use a texture as a gadient going from light to dark.

If you scroll the texture on the second layer downwards, it will give the illusion that the time of day is changing.

I am not sure I get this. This is not a persistent environment, but missions that take place presumably in real time, with a time frame dependent on the player of between 30 minutes and 1 and 1/2 hours. Or are you talking about a time frame of dusk that transitions to night or vice versa?

Granted I didnt play JO, but man, that game just reeks of shoddiness. A real hokey, half-assed game in terms of graphics and animation.

They couldnt have very advanced graphics because of the number of people in 1 server. it would kill your PC, 1 time we had 250 people in 1 server. Ping was green but frame rate was about 3 ! ;)

Also I bought joint Operations and i play with a team of about 6 and we Fight on servers in co-ordination with another team in Team speak. It feels more tactical than GR ever did, ALthough GR was a different style of game.

I am not sure I get this. This is not a persistent environment, but missions that take place presumably in real time, with a time frame dependent on the player of between 30 minutes and 1 and 1/2 hours. Or are you talking about a time frame of dusk that transitions to night or vice versa?

Yes. I'm not talking about making a 24-hour switch in 1 hour, that would be very unrealistic.

But 1 hour would be enough to make it go from night to dusk for instance, so you cram 3-6 hours into 1 hour.

But since GR2 is highly probable to have a pre-rendered environment like GR1 had, the idea becomes pretty much useless.

It's sad though...I really like the time-of-day system used in JO and other new games.

On the other hand, I really love GR's shadows (precalc) and it's atmosphere it creates.

So if I had to choose between a awesome lighting-solution (GR) or a cool time-of-day rotation-system (JO, FC) , I definitly go for the lighting-solution.

I'll have to hand it out to them, RSE did a marvelous job on that.

Edited by |rsi|â„¢deleyt