Can't Capture Russian Officer

Ok, here's the thing. In the swamp mission the alternative objective is to capture the Russian officer in the two story house, but he's never there. He's at the main camp and willing to shoot anything that moves (of course that's what they pay him for :rolleyes: ).

But he wont give up even after all the other tangos on the map are dead. Have tried to catch him in recruit and vet modes always with the same result. I followed the walkthrough positioning mi lone sniper non the northeaster exit from the house, cleared the house of tangos and never find that sneaky fellow anywhere but in the eastern island.

What am I doing wrong? :wall:

Aye NYR_32 that's the walkthrough I was reffering to but the officer was not in the house or its surroundings and yes Loke I killed the guards first just like I did with Papashlivi. In fact I killed everyone in the map but the crickets. Yet the guy didn't give up his weapon. He killed my sniper when he approached him even though there were no tangos left but him. :blink:

Hey lancerbadge --

Had the same problem yesterday afternoon. Ran the mission a bunch of times with similar results. Even tried creepsy-sneaking up on him once everyone else was dead, thinking "Oh, I get it -- I've gotta 'stealth' capture him..." He turned around and emptied his AK right in my face!

What I found finally worked (and I have no idea why), is that I took out the patrol to the West first, then went straight to the Eastern Island and whacked everyone there. Moved on to the other islands and mopped them up, then returned to East Island to find the Officer, cowed and unarmed, sitting on the shoreline, moping for his lost comrades. Walked right up and 'bumped' him, and he came away easily enough.

FWIW, I think I could have captured him as soon as I had finished mopping up East Island...

BTW, there were just the two guys gulping cokes in the house in the middle of the swamp -- no heavy resistance like what I've seen listed on most walk-thrus. Wonder if that's just on Elite setting (I was playing Veteran)...

HTH!

Cheers!

~Markux :blink:

I had problems with this one as well. I had to retry it a couple of times, are you sure that you have killed all his buddies? I don't think he will give up his weapon until this has been done.

Soz if this has already been said, but the best that I can suggest.

Here is what I have found with him, if on the island a real pain, the first time I ever played that one he was by the shoreline as stated above waiting for me to capture him, but on Elite he is most often found by me walking towards me as I appraoch the house, it comes down to positioning a team where they can get the drop on him, then I sneak up using the nearby objects and have even gone around the house but he has surrendered as often as not, its a crap shoot though, I 've killed the drunks only to have him pop up outside and do in my ghost. I may look at the script and see what RSE set up there, that should provide answers to how to approach him.

mig :ph34r:

Remember, you have to kill the guards in the house before he changes his posture to "hostage".

Yes, the cookie munching guards were dead along with the whole garrison, yet he was very well armed and not the least frightened.

I´ll follow Markux advise and report how it goes. Thanks for the pointers guys. :)

Yey!! I captured the officer!!

I did as Markux told me. Cleaned up eastern island followed by the western one. Right after that a yellow marker appeared, so I sent my A squad (only one man left by then in that squad) and there he was, scared and defenseless.

Think I killed his guards in one of the islands because the cabin was empty.

Thanks again Markux!!

Had that happen to me as well a few times with him and capturing another general on the another map, I found you have to kill the guards first near them, or just to be safe, kill everything that moves but the general on the map. :rocky:

• 3 months later...
Hey lancerbadge --

Had the same problem yesterday afternoon.  Ran the mission a bunch of times with similar results.  Even tried creepsy-sneaking up on him once everyone else was dead, thinking "Oh, I get it -- I've gotta 'stealth' capture him..."  He turned around and emptied his AK right in my face!

What I found finally worked (and I have no idea why), is that I took out the patrol to the West first, then went straight to the Eastern Island and whacked everyone there.  Moved on to the other islands and mopped them up, then returned to East Island to find the Officer, cowed and unarmed, sitting on the shoreline, moping for his lost comrades. Walked right up and 'bumped' him, and he came away easily enough.

FWIW, I think I could have captured him as soon as I had finished mopping up East Island... 

BTW, there were just the two guys gulping cokes in the house in the middle of the swamp -- no heavy resistance like what I've seen listed on most walk-thrus.  Wonder if that's just on Elite setting (I was playing Veteran)...

HTH!

Cheers!

~Markux :blink:

Those two idiots in the house NEVER pick up a weapon.... even on elite mode. Trust me on this. I've walked my entire squad onto that floor and they just stand there like a couple of high school girls gossiping at their locker. Guess they're too drunk to shoot back. Too bad, not my prob... they get a double-tap anyway

• 4 weeks later...

you dont need to kill those unarmed guys in the house! But the Russian officer still armed sometimes do happen. I was able to finish this mission not killing the unarmed enemies... don't forget the rules of engagement do not fire unless fired upon. In real life you'll be news if you did kill unarmed enemies. Play with honor dude

• 3 weeks later...
  • 14 years later...

My new favourite sport:

On landing, set the whole team to 'kill everything' and heard them into the North side of the hut nearby.
Take the sniper carefully up to the nearest dugout on the East island and shoot one of the guards before running East (out of the line of fire) and then South back to the hut.
On reaching the edge of the island, turn around and shoot one of the following guards so they start chasing you right back to the hut, then get into the hut.
Switch to your favourite assault rifle equipped team member and just listen to the deafening hail of ordinance hitting the hut whilst your team members return fire.
Defending the hut from the following full frontal onslaught is one of the more fun pastimes in GR01.

Back to the original point, right after the Eastern island guards have completed their suicide mission, I tried to capture the General but he shot me.
I kill the good time guards in the house and the General is as good as gold.