What's wrong with Ubi?

Kurtz

What is wrong with this company? What is the purpose of this news blackout on new games? GR 2 is alledged to be released in Nov and it is almost August. look at all the preview for other PC games? look at all the screens and movies for Halflife 2, BIA, Doom 3, Sims 2, Tribes Vengeance and on and on, previews, screens, movies, details , etc...

GR 2 PC - nothing...nada..zip

What is up with you? Is it sheer contempt for the people who buy your games? Arrogance? What?

Look at what all these other game developers give out to their fans to whet their appetite. They believe it builds interest in their product and expands their base. What do you believe?

How do you expect people to get excited about GR 2?

Good, admit you made a mistake and back to the drawing board. Go back to the original PC game and take a look - 3 squads, character switching, no "hero" character, squad orders for your own squad like you did for SOAF, beef up the team AI, add the graphics, big maps, open ended gameplay, proximity triggered script events, destructible buildings, web based MP lobby, more guns and SD guns, more robust Igor editor.

You have a true winner to build on, just go from there.

Probably because it's still full of problems that they haven't sorted yet.

Publishing a half product can be bad, as it will disappoint some people and make them lose interest.

But giving out too LITTLE information can be as bad aswell and probably has the same effect.

They probably are gonna to delay GR2 at the last minute-well a few weeks from release date anyways.

Reason I say that is because game companies usually show off their products a few months ahead of release, and those that dont usually delay.

Maybe they've listened to the complaints and are going to surprise the PC community with a completely reworked game.

:P Wishful thinking. Maybe you could bribe them with a few millon dollars to get that mess they call GR2 back on the right track. :lol:

The fact that no information has been released may be an indication that they have been set back by the negative reception to the E3 demo and are rethinking some aspects of the game. I hope that is the case.

I have to admit, i also find the lack of news about GR2 very strange.

the only possible reasons i can think of is either there is something wrong with the game and they are trying to fix it before showing more of it, or they are gearing up for a "Shock and Awe" marketing campaign for GR2.

Like i said before i still have faith in the designers at RSE, but find this media blackout very odd.

Edited by swartsz

I too find the lack of information on GR2 disturbing. If you look at other games Ubi will be publishing, there is a plethora of information. Look at the iL2 franchise and the addon/stand alone Pacific Fighters, there is news every week. SHIII also seems to get some sort of news published every week. Why not GR2?

Of course we all rant, rave, and question Ubi, but the real question is do any of our comments actually reach Ubi's ears? Do they have any staff members periodically checking player forums? Do any of the forum ranters and questioners actually send mail (snail or e) to Ubi with their concerns? Like Silentnight said, are they actually receiving our comments?

What's the point of complaining, if you're only complaining to people with the same opinion?

Although no info on PC, CRTchunk72 pointed me to a very good interview with Christian Allen at http://www.xboxaddict.com/

Parts I liked:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For example, in one mission, you will move in behind enemy lines and laser designate a vital target for an precision air strike from a mountain cliff, and then make your way to an active helo extraction through an area crawling with enemies. You can choose how to move through it: slow and stealthy or fast and lethal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is nothing I necessarily wanted, but should impress some people! (when talking about Live3 updates...)

quote:

One cool new thing we’ve added is the ability for players to pick from a selection of skins/uniforms offered by each server.

Some good news that I welcome (if it's also for PC...)

quote:

We plan to (release older maps ranging from the first two games). We have a lot of fan feedback on what the favorite maps are. We plan to choose some maps that will give the GR fans a chance to experience them all over again.

quote:

The levels are expansive and outdoors, which give the players a lot of tactical options when completing missions.

I sure hope so...

FINALLY!!!! Info on the ordering system!!!

quote:

For example, if you have a group of enemies holed up behind cover, you can layer your team orders to have your team hold their fire and flank the enemy. Then, when they are in position, you give a suppress order, and your team lays down suppressive fire while you move up to pick off the distracted enemies. Dynamic orders are also available that allow your team to do almost any action you can do, from placing demo charges to manning fixed machine guns. It is awesome to lay cover fire for your team while they plant charges on a target, or to order your team to hit a tank and watch them move to a position and take it out.

Hmm...

quote:

Our improved new night vision mode is based on how an actual night vision system works. The brightness and contrast are enhanced on the screen in a way which closely mimics night vision. The image detail is increased, as opposed to the old system, which often decreased visible details.

It’s also worth nothing that when night vision is used on daytime maps, the system blinds the player, in a way similar to real night vision, and prevents its use from being a balancing issue.

thx for the info kurtz! :thumbsup:

that sounds not too bad after all! especially some new mission-types like laser-designating targets sounds fun.

picking uniforms? *sigh* whats the use of that? when your in the woods you use woodland, in desert-regions you use desert-camo. i hope it's not like in soeldner, where i can choose some lether-jackets, sun-glases and that kind of crap. :rolleyes:

choosing from skins (facial) is a good thing. no more "clone-wars" in mp, where everyone looked the same....

Don't be happy yet, lets see how m/p plays. Also, I give the game 2 weeks before someone figures out a hack to allow the OTS view in m/p on a FPS view server. You won't need to glitch/wall peek then.

Lets not ever forget that this is the same engine that was used for GR.

Edited by ruggbutt

Suddenly everybody is happy again. Those E3 videos really got everybody jumpy.

i guess. at the beginning i was a little sceptical myself. but after all i am keeping the faith that gr2 will finally kick ass. what i'm still dissapointed about: the graphics. man, this is x-box-level. no need to say, that this is far from what a good pc is capable of. at least we can rise the resolution, so were not as fecked as the xboxers. ;)

btw: when the ots-view was presented, the producer mentioned, that it'll be cool to see the handsignals and be more into the game..bla. how it can be made demonstrated BIA in its latest trailer. fpwv with handsignals. that's what i want to see in gr2 as well not some crappy console-ots-view... :angry:

Christian Allen has certainly calmed a lot of my anxiety and whetted my appetite for more, especially PC news. I like what I read in the interview and it shed a lot of light on the games features.

Christian Allen has certainly calmed a lot of my anxiety and whetted my appetite for more, especially PC news. I like what I read in the interview and it shed a lot of light on the games features.

IMHO they are on track using Christian aka Serellan to release details regarding this game, having come from the modding community, he garners my respect, and even though he works for the "man" , I can still find credibility in what he has to say.

I'm not holding my breath, but these comments do give me hope.

Enough from me -

I wonder if they are looking at 2 squads for the PC game, which would be preferable to 1. The problem with multiple squads and controlling them with a menu is that the order system gets too complicated, like H & D 2

I like the BIA squad order system where you place squads with the cursor. In the interview, Christian Allen said that you could order the squad to move without firing into position and then order them to suppress. The question I have is where do you indicate them to move to and how do you do it. If you have an order to "move there", usually you indicate the position with the cursor on the map. If you can do this with 1 squad, you can do it with 2

It's not as good as a command map, but it is the way newer squad games are doing it. Some squad control is still better than none.

It will be very interesting to see what this manifests in the PC version.

What is wrong with this company? What is the purpose of this news blackout on new games? GR 2 is alledged to be released in Nov and it is almost August. look at all the preview for other PC games? look at all the screens and movies for Halflife 2, BIA, Doom 3, Sims 2, Tribes Vengeance and on and on, previews, screens, movies, details , etc...

Looks like your request has been somewhat answered in the past week :) I know you want news on the PC version, but I'm guessing that most likely what we're seeing on the Xbox will be what we see on the PC.

With new GR2 screenshots, videos, and previews up at XboxAddict, 1Up, GameSpot, and IGN all within a few days, it seems to me that when it rains, it pours :P

From following the development of other games, many other publishers do release info in spurts rather than gradually. Why?

1) With RSE hard at work on the game, they don't have time to do regular updates unless they have a dedicated PR person like say the Halo 2 team.

2) Maybe they figure there's not enough changed since the last round of previews (after E3) until now.

3) For most casual fans following the development of a game, new info every 1-2 months is likely adequate. Unfortunately for the more hardcore fans in this forum who check for news daily, every 1-2 months is like forever!

No doubt Ubi has room for improvement with PR. I think Ubi could do the following to increase interest and goodwill with fans:

- Start up a "Developer's Diary" section at the official site. We had one for GR1 and Raven Shield, so why not for GR2?

- Encourage more contact between the devs and fans in the forums. Before Ubi took over Red Storm, we used to get small tidbits of updates to chew on from the devs in the fan forums. That kept us excited and interested.

- Get the PR guys to send fan sites new screenshots on a regular basis (like once a month). During the heyday of Rogue Spear, Red Storm PR used to regularly distribute 1-2 "exclusive" screenshots to the major fan sites :thumbsup: