The most deppressing forum

Calgar99

Granted, GR might not have the largest online gaming community out there, but most of them are pretty steadfast players. I am not sure how GR is played/sold on any other platform, but it seems a shame to design a sequal of popular pc game to another platform.

Am I prejudging GR2? Yes, I have seen the screenshots, I have seen the video, I have seen 'The Screaming Man.' Most of what I have seen totally disgusts me. Instead of putting grids on the mini-map, upgrading the graphics a bit, seeing to it that there are no 'Glitching' areas, they make (what appears to be)a SOCOM clone. I don't want a SOCOM clone, I love the style of GR, a combination of combat and stealth, where everything you do matters. I had gotten a new comp and not had GR installed at one point, so I had played a few other games online, Battlefield 42, COD and I found something 'missing'. It was then that I installed GR and found what I was missing.

Yes, there are things that irritate me to no end when I play GR, like cheaters, people who cry glitcher, and not being able walk over small objects like a log or something, but overall, I still like the best. Other games, I just don't see any reason to spend my time online, like in BF42, with all the lives you get, why bother using stealth? you get shot, what difference does it make? unless it is a headshot, you need to shoot someone 2-3 times to drop them, and there is no combat difference between a wounded soldier and a soldier with full health. Most of the rooms I went into for COD were all infinite respawn, so it was the issue. With those kinds of game, when i win, it is just like 'uh', but there nothing like playing a good ole game of siege in GR where you are the only one left with time ticking, on your last life and you manage to sneak past the defenders to take the base with less than 15 seconds left.

Will GR2 have the same feel? The Screaming Man makes it hard to believe. Odds are, I MIGHT pick it up in the $20.00 and under bin after a while, but who knows...

I've been one of the most vocal critics of Ubi and RSE as GR2 has developed, and I'll tell you why. I've criticized, slammed, and insulted Ubi/RSE constantly because they are missing the forest for the trees. Rainbow Six, Rogue Spear, and Ghost Recon sold well because they were not mass-accessible games. They were, in effect, hard-core FPS games for hard-core gamers. The R6, RS, and GR series were different, and that's what made them sell. Judging by all information thus far, Ubi and RSE have abandoned the different approach, and are developing a game that is simply another run and gun shooter. Am I wrong? I could be. But the evidence thus far says that I am not.

There is a second reason I have criticized Ubi as of late, and that is their decision to develop GR2 for consoles. Due to the limitations of consoles (even the over-rated XBox) no game made for consoles will be able to take full advantage of the PC's power. In effect, games ported to the PC are watered down, and, in my experience, very shallow. I have yet to play a console-port that was truly on par with games made for the PC. I have to be honest - I hate consoles. All of them. I hate games ported from consoles. I hate the fact that, although I've spent hundreds of dollars on the R6/RS/GR series, I'm effectively being told by RSE that I'm not important, because I don't play on a console. Look down on me if you want, but I take that personally. I believe in customer loyalty, and it works both ways.

Lastly, I present evidence for my case. Look at Raven-Shield. If ever there was a game that should have been marvelous, Raven-Shield was that game. Yet, in their ignorance, Ubi decided to make a game that was accessible to the masses. The result? Bugs, glitches, and problems galore. Masses of unsatisfied people who were faithful in purchasing previous titles, feeling cheated because RvSh didn't live up to their expecations. In attempting to cater to the masses, Ubi robbed RvSh of any individuality that it may have had, and that is what the game needed the most. Now here it is, a year later, and Raven-Shield is in the bargain bin. The community is in shambles, and Ubi has supposedly stopped making new patches. Why? Because Raven-Shield was a bomb. It was a half-finished, uninspiring, unoriginal jumble of coded mess that, in an attempt to satisfy everyone, satisfied virtually no one. Ubi should have learned a lesson from Raven Shield: Listen to your established fan base, and give them what they want. PC gamers want a Ghost Recon 2 that is similar to, but better than, Ghost Recon. PC gamers don't want a console port. PC Gamers do not want a run-of-the-mill shooter that will leave them feeling cheated and disenchanted. Unfortunately, it looks like PC Gamers are not going to get what they want.

As you can see, I've made up my mind about GR2. Am I wrong? Possibly. But RSE has done nothing to prove that I am wrong. By all accounts, GR2 is going to be another console-trash, bargain bin shooter. I can't help but wonder if some of RSE's old time developers like John Sonedecker left because they saw this trend coming.

Edited by Parabellum

The disappointment and unhappy discussion about GR2 is only a very small part of these forums... Anyone that is 'sick and tired of all the whineing' is digging for dirt and not looking at the bigger picture.

And most of the criticism I see here is not 'whining' but carefully thought over game design discussion based on RSE/Ubi marketing, and honest and carefully placed hopes... What do you expect? This is after all a Ghost Recon fan site/forum...

:o

I agree completely! :thumbsup:

You may notice from my posts on this forum, and others, that I must be a member of the anti-GR2-come-Xbox-game. But it's not that I'm angry as such, but there are things that us GR'ers feel UBI must take into account before GR2 is released.

Although since this thread was created, I think you will find that opinions have changed a lot and that many more PC users are now looking forward to the release of GR2. Well, I know I am anyway!

So long as they have taken the PC user into account, and we will not just be playing an Xbox rip off then everyone should be happy!!

The fact that the PC game has been delayed and that the dev has made a point that the content will be distinct from the X Box is a good sign and may be partly in response to the reaction to early builds of the game.

I think that expectations are not going to be met with respect to the final product in that it will not contain all the featues wanted by PC gamers. Some of the game structure will be different in that it appears that nearly all the new tactical games like BIA, CC fTF , The Regiment are not going to feature character switching or command map order systems. They all use a central character and utilize similar forms of the point and click squad interface. It does not seem likely that GR 2 will reverse that trend.

I am not sure what some people really want for GR 2, but, whatever, some accomodation is going to be have to be made.

The key to the game for me is the gameplay and that is dependent on the map and mission design, so hopefully most missions will feature more open ended and sand box style gameplay as in GR. Given the proper support in a good mission editor and plug ins, the maps should allow a lot of creativity in mission design.

I am still very optimistic that a very good game will come out of this, despite the marketing policies of the developer. We will have to wait until next year to find out.

Edited by Kurtz

Look at RVS for Xbox and RVS For PC ..... very difrent games.

hopefully thats what they will do. GR2 for xbox looks more arcade shoot em up dumbed down. Hopefully PC will be better.

corrct me if im wrong but isnt Splintercell3 beeing made for pc.... isnt that why its beeing praised?

What xbox gamers dont realise is that most of xbox players are technically challanged. It is easier to plug an xbox into your tv then seting up a pc for games.

Everything the xbox or ps2 has the pc has had for ages there is no way it can be possibly better. Game Pads, Steering wheels, Flight sticks, etc...

While PC gamers like to spend lots and lots of money for the best machine to play the best newest games. Xbox has stolen a lot of developers and there for the software coming out is less impressive and makes them feel like developers forgot about them.

As for me I dont care if u play xbox but i wish that more people realised PC is a much better gameing platform.

i rarely judge on anything but the demo...in fact if it didn't have a mutliplayer demo release i usually won't even look twice at it....with games averaging around $50ea. nowadays i want a free test run before i buy it...granted u can't always tell by the demos because some developers have been known to pull 'ol bait and switch...but in my opinion it's the closest thing your gunna get to buying it and is a big deciding factor in my purchases...the second one is usually if it includes Co-Op...oh what a waste Halo for PC was without Co-Op... <_<

Just my $.02.

:ph34r: Nk :ph34r:

This post a touch of hypcocriticism?

I hear ya but GR2 is pretty much a joke.  Along with the whole of Ubi and RSE for the last 3 or 4 years.

They just dont have any more good ideas or talents.

get ready to eat your words :whistle:

(having played the X-box version :devil: )