6800GT/Ultra or x800xt pe?

ghostie

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My LeadTek 6800GT came in the mail today... :rambo:

This thing is an absolute BEAST. Well over 10k in 3DMark03. Americas Army at 1028 x 768 x 32 with Ultra High settings, 4x AA and 16 AF is awesome, especially while achieving 70FPS. I need to figure out how to make the auto-detect work for overclocking. I'll see how NASCAR performs, then Ghost Recon. Still contemplating a reformat, although I dont know where my DS and IT discs went, so it may be out of the question. :(

3dmark03.jpg

Edited by Crimson

very cool. :rocky: Nice score. what are your system specs? I'm still waiting on chumbo like the rest of the idiots on their waiting list. If an asus card pops up for under $500 in the meantime i'll jump on that though.

update: nvm, the asus gamers edition is just a regular 6800 oc'd to gt levels. no thanks.

Edited by ghostie

My system is crap compared to my new video card:

ASUS A7N8X mobo

AMD Barton 2500+ OC'ed to 3200+ @ 2.2Ghz

3x 256MB PC2100 DDR RAM (768 total)

WD HDD 80GB 8MB Cache

Wanting to upgrade to:

AMD A64 3000+ or 3200+

Some sort of nForce 250Gb motherboard.

1Gig of PC3200 RAM

• 2 weeks later...

I kept meaning to tell you that. Did you get the blue PCB? (You should of.) People have been posting that the new cooler doesnt cool quite as well as the referance design... probably still cools better than mine. If you click on auto-detect, what speeds come up?

Ah, the world of GT owners keep growing...

My autodetect only comes up with 381/1.01 and even at that I get artifacts on the turtle in 3dmark. When I first put it in I set it at 400/1.10 and made it through 3dmark with a 12k+ score but that turtle always artifacts when I set it with anything above stock. I think you're right about that cooler not being as good as reference. I ran rthdribl when I had it at 400/1.10 and the temps never went beyond 80c so maybe I got a card that doesn't overclock as well. I may get a better cooler in the future but for now I'll leave it at stock.

Your 381/1.01 beats my 415/1.12. :wacko: The good thing though is that at stock timings it's still a fantastic card.

I'm thinking the OC limit is a combination of heat and power. My heat is good, while I only have 18A on my 12V line. Those OCZ PSUs are awesome... with over 30A on the 12V line.

I only get 15a on my 12v line. Maybe that's why i can't oc well. It's weird, everything in 3dmark looks fine when I oc but as soon as that turtle pops up, his shell has artifacts. Also, does it make a difference if you set the agp voltage in the bios to more than 1.5. mine goes up to 1.65v.

I dont touch AGP voltages in the BIOS because it gives a warning about damage. I know there's a utility out there that allows you to edit the BIOS's voltages and timings. I've been thinking of bumping mine up to 1.4... but I dont want to take the chance of having a really cool $470 paper weight.

• 5 months later...

This thing is an absolute BEAST.  Well over 10k in 3DMark03.  Americas Army at 1028 x 768 x 32 with Ultra High settings, 4x AA and 16 AF is awesome, especially while achieving 70FPS.  I need to figure out how to make the auto-detect work for overclocking.  I'll see how NASCAR performs, then Ghost Recon.  Still contemplating a reformat, although I dont know where my DS and IT discs went, so it may be out of the question.

Did you ever get around to seeing how NASCAR and GR performs with the 6800GT?

Yes, but I haven't played either in ages. 

Both were excellent.  It plays HL2 @ highest detail with AA and AF, FYI.

Well if it's been that long I don't suppose you would remember your average FPS while playing GR. I was curious if there was a big difference between the 5950U and the 6800GT with GR and NASCAR since those are my 2 most played games.

If that's the case, I would suggest staying with your 5950U.

@CR6 - I'm under the impression that the majority of Phantom Editions were swept up by companies like Dell.

I wish I would've known that the X80 Pro VIVO was moddable to the PE version at the time of my purchase.