6800GT/Ultra or x800xt pe?

ghostie

I've been looking around to buy either one of these cards. I know that the x800xt's are out of stock almost everywhere. I ordered one through pcconnection and was told that the ship date was aug.5th. Not sure if that's going to happen because i hear different dates from different places. the 6800gt's are available now. haven't heard anything on the ultras.

I know that the 6800's support ps 3.0 and that they are based on new tech.

I hear the x800's are just souped up 9800's. I'm still partial to the x800's but the ps3.0 does sound more future-proof. Was wondering if there is much of a difference between ps 2.0 and 3.0? If it doesn't make a difference now and later then I'm probably going to lean toward the x800. Any thoughts and comments?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the system. These next generation cards are so fast that depending on your CPU, you can actually slow these cards down.

My advice in this round of graphics cards is to go with nVidia. Unless you have something faster than a P4/AMD 3.4Ghz, you really cant take advantage of the 6800 Ultra or 6800 Ultra Exteme Edition. I would go with GT model, which a ton of people are having great results in overclocking them to Ultra speeds. The regular 6800 is only $300, but only has 12 pipelines. I wouldnt suggest that card to anyone except those on a tight budget.

As you said, the X800 cards are built off the 9800 series. (Actually I think it's the 9800XT to be more specific.) Older technology than nVidia's new stuff.

I would wait another month to get a new card. When Microsoft releases SP2, it will include DX 9.0C, which helps take advantage of the newer cards. Also, nVidia wont officially release any updated drivers that support the 6800 cards until SP2 is out. (Sometime in August.)

Ooops, almost forgot to mention the most important part. The 6800 Ultra and 6800 Ultra EE both require two, unused dongles from your power supply. If you have anything less than a 420-430W power supply, you will need to upgrade that.

Edited by Crimson

i ordered a bunch of stuff from zipzoomfly in the past. I like them better than newegg.

I just found what I was looking for, the BFG 6800GT OC. I hear a lot of good things about BFG with their cards. You can find it on chumbo for 399.00 plus free shipping. Of course it's on backorder so I'll probably have to wait a while. Looks like i'm going to have to make do a while longer with my ati rage pro 32mb pci card. :wall:

Half of me was saying don't buy it, you need to buy the more expensive 6800 ultra or the x800xt pe. But reasoning took over and for what I have right now in my comp, I think I made a good buy by sticking to the gt card over everything else.

Another reason to go the GT route over the X800 Pro route: the GT has 16 pipelines, while the Pro only has 12. Not to mention, the GT can overclock much better, and you can generally find it for a cheaper price.

On a side note, the eVGA GT comes with a free copy of Far Cry. :D

Plus it seems it can be overclocked to match the 6800U levels. It also isn't that far off from the x800xt.

Farcry sounds like a stellar bundle with that evga. If it was doom3 that was included then I would have been all over that one.

Post your thoughts about the card after you get it. I got a reply from chumbo on the BFG 6800GT that i ordered and they have no idea when they are going to get more in. :(

Yeah, I was going to buy it this morning but then I saw the price and I almost started to cry. :lol:

Still in the hunt for a BFG or eVGA GT. I wont buy from the eVGA site because they use UPS shipping, and I've had much better luck with FedEx. :wub:

I just got home from the computer shop. While I was there the owner was testing a new rig for a customer. It had a Geforce 6800 Ultra in it! Only 4 have been delivered to Melbourne, Australia so far and 1 ended up in the computer shop I go to!! :D

This thing is amazing!! Without a word of a lie and without being overclocked in any way, this cards benchmark score with 3DMark 2003 was 14360!! That's 14360 folk's!! And frame rates from hell! 4295 FPS was the fastest I saw :o with an average of 500+ FPS for the entire Wings of Fury benchmark, an average of 120+ FPS for the Battle of Proxycon benchmark, 50+ FPS average for Troll's Lair and an outstanding 40+ FPS average for Mother Nature. The pixel shader 2.0 benchmark ran at a smooth 125 FSP and looked just awesome.

So, after picking my jaw up off the ground at the sight of what this card can do I decide to have a looksy inside the rig to see the card itself, then proceed to pick up my jaw for a second time! This card is big, really big. The heatsink/fan is the size of the entire card, and would be about two inch's thick. It completely covers the first PCI slot and comes very close to the second slot. I couldn't see any part of the card at all, only the HSF.

Finally I enquire about the price of this card. $865 (not including GST) at wholesale! I didn't ask what it retailed for, as any thoughts I had of owning one in the near future promptly vanished into a figment of my imagination. :'(

I'm fed up with this waiting game bull. I just went to GameVE and preordered a PNY 6800GT for ~$440 shipped and taxed. IF I'M LUCKY IT WILL SHIP ON THE 30TH... that's a week from now, then another couple of days to get to my house. Luckily it's FedEx, and GameVE is in the same state as me, so the shipping might be ahead of schedule. Then again, may be a moot point because if enough people preordered the PNY version, mine may not to ship until the SECOND restocking of the card.

*tweaks*

Interesting opinions expressed here. Can anyone direct me to a review where the nVidia actually beats the ATI? All the reviews I've seen have shown the X800Pro at least match or beat the 6800Ultra. Let's not even get on to the -XT. :P Anyway, the price differential is enough to seal the deal, in my view.

As for the "old technology" argument, as far as I know that's simply not true, so some sources would be nice.

Albatron and ASUS Ultra cards.

LeadTek 6800 and eVGA 6800 UEE cards.

BFG 6800 GT OC. Good comparison.

Not to mention theres is the lack of proper 6800 drivers, and complete domination in the Doom3 benchmarks, where the 6800GT beats out the XT.

2090.png

1090364971VEVx7HppJJ_3_2.gif

This one just makes me laugh:

1090364971VEVx7HppJJ_4_1.gif

Edited by Crimson