PC Gamer (US) September 2004

Dick Splash

Three letters from GR fans make the letters page this month, inc. a new screenshot. All air our concerns about GR2!

The fourth and final letter stresses that it's about time all PC games were published on DVD's rather than CD's. Something else Ubi needs to look at for GR2, as [although a different game graphically] Far Cry I understand is on six CD's !!!

DS

The fourth and final letter stresses that it's about time all PC games were published on DVD's rather than CD's.

no dont do that!!

Cos that means SilentNight has to buy a DVD drive, and SilentNight cant afford a DVD drive :(

Im not all excited about Ghost Recon 2. I played GR1 for 3 years of my life. I played on every competitive ladder their was. I have dozens and dozens of friends I still talk to thanks to Ghost Recon. GR2 to me looks like a dissapointment. What was fun about GR1 was commanding your team, making scripted missions, and multiplayer.

GR2 looks to take away the 3 team insertions we are used to in GR1. What are they putting back in to replace that? Nothing as far as I can tell except some nicer more cpu intensive graphics. Nothing looks new in the engine or game mechanics except the absence of some stuff that made gr1 good. Maybe I am missing something?

Why arent there huge maps(Operation Flashpoint style). Why arent there driveable vehicles. Why arent there mortars and laser guided short range rockets. Why is there no focus on realistic ballistics? Will there even be an OICW with grenade launcher? Are there palns to support more players in multiplayer? Will we have more game types for multiplayer and coop?

Will we have smoke grenades and mines?

Placeable machine guns?

I hope the same level of detail in terrain and effective camoflauge and cover we had in gr1. No more peak glitches where I can shoot everyone through walls. Better cheat detection so UBI isnt a cheat fest.

I see none of this promised but I havent actually read the GR2 forums it seems like spam fest from people I never even heard of before or who probably bought the game off the bargain bin after 3 years of it being released. I see nothing new except something about better AI? Thats good but I expect all of the above as well. Its been 4 years since GR came out, what have they been doing? I could of made a mod for gr1 in that time myself that offers more then gr2.

Of course im GR fan forever and I will definatly check out gr2. But GR was redstorms most succesfull game. Now that they made their money they forget about us and start to develop on Xbox and forgetting about PC that made them so popular. PFF.

Doesnt look good for me and GR2.

Peace

-Ritual-

Im not all excited about Ghost Recon 2.  I played GR1 for 3 years of my life.  I played on every competitive ladder their was. 

Sounds to me that you are mainly into GR for its multiplayer.

I can see why fans of single player GR1 have reasons to be disappointed with some of the gameplay changes in GR2, but I honestly don't see why GR2 multiplayer can't be just as good or better than GR1.

GR2 looks to take away the 3 team insertions we are used to in GR1.  What are they putting back in to replace that?

As far as I know, there has been NO information released about GR2 multiplayer yet, so I'm not sure where you saw that info.

RSE are the originators of one-shot, one-kill multiplayer action on the PC, and some of the vets back to the Rainbow Six days are working on GR2. Many RSE staff are PC gamers and I'm sure they have no interest in making GR2 a lame multiplayer experience on the PC.

Of course im GR fan forever and I will definatly check out gr2. But GR was redstorms most succesfull game. Now that they made their money they forget about us and start to develop on Xbox and forgetting about PC that made them so popular. PFF.

RSE was purchased by Ubisoft about the time GR was about to be released. They have to bow to their new masters now.

Also, the Xbox version of GR sold many times more copies than the PC version.

It all makes pure fiscal sense once you understand that it's a BUSINESS to create game. Doesn't make it feel better, but it is the facts as they exist.

You play to your most lucrative market. You'd be a fool not to. The only reason PC GR existed before the Xbox GR was problems at Microsoft's end. If they had produced their console on time, the PC gamer would likely not have seen the dominance we did for as long as we did.

Heh thatll be tough to do. I know for me I dont find myself playing GR much anymore. It just ran out of mojo. I played it for years for 6-10+ hours a day every day. Laddered everyday etc.

Maybe my standards are high on what GR2 should be. I just dont really like Ubisoft. I would rather to see Redstorm produce their own games independantly. I just think it looks like a slightly prettier ghost recon 1.

Hardly what I expect or am looking for. Honestly I think I have evolved out of Ghost Recon. I want Operation Flashpoint maps. I want realism. More realism. Missiles. Vehicles. Tanks. Mines. Big machine guns. Rigging up 15 claymores. Destructable terrain. Building that you can go in. Infrared.

GR advertised itself as a realistic first person shooter. We soon found out it was just an arcade game. It was more realistic then most but far from perfect. Now we are seeing an even dumbed down arcade game with nice graphics and not much difference funcitonality wise from GR1.

Which is why I will use VBS1. I will play Operation Flashpoint. And I will wait for [OFP: DR]. I never played Operation Flashpoint before I was loyal to GR. I think I have seen the light. Wont buy another game from Ubisoft or Redstorm unless they offer something better.

Im spoiled I guess.

Edited by R|tual

What were the major complaints expressed by the GR fans?

The complaints were about not including the things that made GR so great in GR2. You would think RSE would be aware of the negative statements being made about GR2 and rally the troops to keep the GR franchise true to it's roots but it sure looks like it's going to be the arcade way or no way. :angry:

Im not unemployed. I am self employed. Big difference. And I laugh at Money or even having to work every day. You are confirming to an imperfect society. Your feeding the chaaotic universe that knows no different from right or wrong unless you tell it.

###### we should do what we have to do (raising food) and the rest should be fun.