GR vs. SOAF Render Performance

Hoak

(Makes me wonder if that ironsights M16 could be used to replace the regular stock M16's <_< )

All you have to do is find the model in SOAF which you want to replace in GR. Now copy the file and rename it to iw_rifle_m16.qob. Drop that into your GR/Mods/Origmiss/Models folder.

I did the same thing with SOAF M4 SOPMOD, used it to replace the standard GR M4 model. :o=

-edit-

Actually I think the m16 model is already named as above in SOAF so all you'd have to do is copy and paste.

Wanna hook a brother up with the files? :D I'm actually interested in the whole idea but they never made a Mac port for SoAF.

MsKitty, both SWAT 3 and R6 Raven Shield offer options to navigate around the planning features. I like you don't go for all the elaborate mission setup and planning...

R6 Raven Shield probably gives you the wides selection over how you play, there's also an enormous selection of third party missions and mods -- for me this game bridges a lot of gaps in the Clancy games in play, feel -- and letting me play the game the way I want.

SWAT 3 has a lot of features and has a faster feel then SOAF. Even though it's a very slickly produced game -- I don't like the aesthetics as much as GR/SOAF and RS -- but it's a well reviewed and very popular game.

Ultimately if you enjoy these games it's pretty inevitable you'll have them all; just wait for the sales and keep your eye on GoGamer as they put their entire inventory on revolving "48 Hour Madness" sale -- so if there's something you're even remotely untested in you'll eventually see it there at a price you can't resist. GoGamer is also the NewEgg and Amazon combined of game e-tailers with speed and serice to match their prices.

Edited by Hoak

I just tried the Swat 3 demo (close quarters version), and if this is the gameplay to expected I probably will pick it up. It was fairly cheap too. I was reluctant to buy tho, because no matter how cheap, if I end up not playing it, its a shame to waste it. It seems a game I could enjoy tho, although the radio part can become somewhat of a chore. And the guy, somehow that voice reminded me of Raymond, out of 'Everyone loves Raymond.' Ever noticed? I could be horribly wrong, but the voice is quite simular.

I haven't figured out how to play Raven Shield around the planning phase tho. I mean I can of course just use the planning that came with the game, but its almost impossible to use it and have all your men survive. Rogue Spear seemed a bit friendlier. I haven't even started on Athena's Sword. I've been reading up on various sites, but they all kind of expect you to follow the planning methode.

The final verdict on soAF. Its good, but its *short*. I'll be finished by tomorrow in med setting (well med setting, auto aim off, team casualties on). And another thing, it doesn't show blood for some odd reason. If I hit a tango it gives this grayish wisp of 'blood'. Very strange to say the least.

Sorry for hijacking your thread :unsure:

Edited by MsKitty

There is a blood patch for SOAF and IIRC it is on the downloads page. :)

Yub yub, it was :D thanks. I've downloaded it and it works. Its looking much better, but it makes me really wonder about the 15+ on the box lol. Gray blood you need to be 15 years old I guess.

I know its a relative violent game, but without blood and then 15+? Oh well ... So much for rating. my lil niece was 9 when she played quake 2 lol.

imo SoAF plays a lot easier than Ghost Recon. I just finished SoAF in less than 20 hours. I've been playing yesterday until the weeeeeee lil hours, got up early and wrapped up the final two missions this morning. Loved the mansion mission, my favorit by far. Some tricky situations too, very cool.

I did have some strange occurances tho, and that seems to be part of Ghost Recon as well. If I restart I sometimes get a more difficult map than usual. I suddenly will find enemies where I haven't seen them before. Yet the ones I do remember will still be where I normaly encounter them. So its not just a matter of them wandering around. Anyone else had this ever happen?

And yes I'm about to run to the store to pick up Swat 3. It looks sweet in 1280x1024 :rocky:

Besides its pretty cool to scream comply on the top of your lungs. tho, I don't remember swat members being so overly polite. I miss a lot of F words there :rofl:

Edited by MsKitty

I did have some strange occurances tho, and that seems to be part of Ghost Recon as well. If I restart I sometimes get a more difficult map than usual. I suddenly will find enemies where I haven't seen them before. Yet the ones I do remember will still be where I normaly encounter them. So its not just a matter of them wandering around. Anyone else had this ever happen?

Some scripts use random positioning of their enemies to keep the element of surprise in the mission.

Besides its pretty cool to scream comply on the top of your lungs. tho, I don't remember swat members being so overly polite. I miss a lot of F words there :rofl:

And here I thought that the F words where supposed to come from the players lips! :blink: Atleast that's what happends when I play. <_<

And model to for that matter...been sitting for the last hour and a half trying to get the feed lips to look right on a high poly model I'm working on. :wall:

(Makes me wonder if that ironsights M16 could be used to replace the regular stock M16's <_< )

All you have to do is find the model in SOAF which you want to replace in GR. Now copy the file and rename it to iw_rifle_m16.qob. Drop that into your GR/Mods/Origmiss/Models folder.

I did the same thing with SOAF M4 SOPMOD, used it to replace the standard GR M4 model. :o=

-edit-

Actually I think the m16 model is already named as above in SOAF so all you'd have to do is copy and paste.

it a little bit more complicated than that. soaf weapons have different lenft hand placment points so when you put them in GR you will notice left hands don't even come close to holding the rifle. since the max files are not available to replace the left hand helper points you need to switch out the soaf .qobs hexametric code for left hand placment with some GR code using a hex editor. i have done it succsesfully a bunch of times, i have corrected the sopmod, masterkey, and the mp5k's.

Besides its pretty cool to scream comply on the top of your lungs. tho, I don't remember swat members being so overly polite. I miss a lot of F words there  :rofl:

And here I thought that the F words where supposed to come from the players lips! :blink: Atleast that's what happends when I play. <_<

Well since I am not English speaking my foul language is usually in Dutch ;) So I only rarely will use the F word.

Tho best is just to take a deeeeeep breathe, count to ten, and if you still feel the urge to scream and shout maybe its time for a break :rofl:

Hey Ms. Kitty, don't consider your post a 'hijack' at all -- I rather hoped in fact this would be a rather free-wheeling thread about the relationship between these different games, and at the mod level their differences.

I'll be very interested in how much you like SWAT 3, it's been quite a while since I played it, perhaps you'll get me intrigued to install it and give it another go. I do seem to remember it having an inordinate number of awkward and unusual binds but not sure.

Back to SOAF and and GR; does anyone suppose there's a snowballs chance in a hot place that Ubi/Red Storm would ever in some manner Open Source these games the way id Software did with the Quake I and II games/engines?

I've never had much first hand with Ubi/Red Storm but they do seem rather the anal-retentive sorts that would never seriously consider such an possibility.

Played around with the models a bit... No luck in getting the M16 from SoAF to [GR]...

Would you need both the models and the textures to get it to work?

m16.jpg

This is what I'm trying to get as a final product.

i am certain now that the soaf web site is inaccurate. when i corrected the m16 .qob and put it in GR, it looked as though it didn't work because it was exactly the same as before, so i started up soaf and saw that the m16 is not an iron site at all but an exact copy of the aim point m16 from gr.

Edited by DOG-ZEBRA

i am certain now that the soaf web site is inaccurate. when i corrected the m16 .qob and put it in GR, it looked as though it didn't work because it was exactly the same as before, so i started up soaf and saw that the m16 is not an iron site at all but an exact copy of the aim point m16 from gr.

There's also a model called "rifle_m16.qob" in the model folder. I can't open the file in Mike Schell's skinner though and I never screwed around with the model to test it in game but it might be it. :unsure:

i am certain now that the soaf web site is inaccurate.  when i corrected the m16 .qob and put it in GR, it looked as though it didn't work because it was exactly the same as before, so i started up soaf and saw that the m16 is not an iron site at all but an exact copy of the aim point m16 from gr.

There's also a model called "rifle_m16.qob" in the model folder. I can't open the file in Mike Schell's skinner though and I never screwed around with the model to test it in game but it might be it. :unsure:

"rifle_m16.qob" is the old m16 from GR and DS that gets patched when you install island thunder. If you want to see it just rename it to the new m16 "iw_rifle_m16" and you will see it, although probably with out texture. its not unlikly that there were weapons planned to for soaf that never made it into the game, it happened to IT, there is like 4 or 5 weapons that never made it.

Hey Ms. Kitty, don't consider your post a 'hijack' at all -- I rather hoped in fact this would be a rather free-wheeling thread about the relationship between these different games, and at the mod level their differences.

Its rather surprising that I got myself going in this kind of play at all. As I've said before, I have never been a great fan of tactical shooters. Or rather, I never had the patience to actually give them a try ;)

However, now that I rediscovered this genre there is indeed a lot of games I never played which I suddenly pick up and give a go. I think Ghost Recon was the perfect path to take for a first experience. I'm still playing this game, and working on the expansions now (desert siege atm). I'm also tryng to get friends interested :D

I'll be very interested in how much you like SWAT 3, it's been quite a while since I played it, perhaps you'll get me intrigued to install it and give it another go.  I do seem to remember it having an inordinate number of awkward and unusual binds but not sure.

I'm really enjoying myself with Swat 3. They do have some strange default keyboard setups but that's easy enough to fix. You can load the aswd setup, but you have to change it still because its not entirely set as it should be.

I love how the game makes me think. I have been redoing missions to see if another tactic would work, see if I could improve my leader score etc. etc. I just love how my behavior in game affects my career as commanding officer. If I really screw up (I tried just for laughs) you have to retire and start over.

The reporting of suspects and hostages turns into a bit micromanagement at times, and you'll have to follow correct procedures or the suspect will be there and if you finish the mission you fail.

At the start I didn't realy know how it all worked and I kept failing the mission. Later on I realized I forgot to remove the rifle from the scene o.O. Or a suspect isn't being removed because he still has a weapon in his holster, or yuo didn't call in correctly.

Its a bit more difficult also because even if you are in dynamic mode (assault), you cannot just blow out the door and start shooting down everyone. Even if a bad guy is running around, but he's not firing at you, you cannot simply take 'm out. So I start screaming compliance repeatedly, toss in a bang, then he points the gun at me and I take 'm out. I try to aim for legs, body, in the hope that i don't get a one hit kill.

I don't always follow the right procedures and I even got one of the guys wounded. Which means my leadership score gets a big hit. Im tempted in starting over, to get it right.

Once you get the hang of it, it plays pretty fluid. I'd say its a bit more difficult than say GR or SoAF due to the ROE. Its also more difficult because the career you make is a dynamic one. I wouldn't mind seeing more dynamic there tho. Like, if you're wasteful with ammo, you might get a warning. after ignoring warning you might get low on ammo. You don't have ammo counters so you need to count the shots yourself and predict when you need to reload. You also have to play to save life not to take it. I had a few times that I would shoot a suspect and after one shot he would comply. If i would kill him after that, it would again badly affect my record.

So yeah, Im really liking it. It realy makes me feel being part of a team. The AI is also pretty sharp. It screws up every now and then, specially on stairs leading to a closed door (glad it was only a bang, not a nade lol) but in overal they really do their job well. Its fairly easy to give team commands as well.

If Ghost Recon 2 would play any where near this, concerning team play and its communication structure, they sure will have a winner on their hands.

I like the game so much I bought 3 copies. One for myself, and the other two for my niece and nephew ;) Of course at €5.99 you can't go wrong with this one haha.

I like the game so much I bought 3 copies.

SWAT3 is very fun multiplayer too, I think you want to really patch to latest though if playing MP as some added features.

And what made you think I didn't? :P

Tho it was kinda tricky to figure out since my version ended up being a 1.4 elite, not 1.6. nor was it a CQB 1.2 version. I decided to upgrate do the 1.6 update and topping it off with the swat 3 2.1.

Tho i am kinda puzzled why the uk and us version differs in size so much.

I'm also not sure if these mods and levels you can download are really worth it, some are I think updates from existing maps, others are additions. Hmm, guess i'll have to find a decent swat 3 forum :lol:

swat 3 ios great i spent like 3 months watching for it then i gave up and i was alken around wallmart and i saw it for 9.99 i was like score and i loved it

really great it was a lil easy but i didnt pay attention to the leader score thing i really shoud go bak and play agian and i dont care what u say soaf looks and play smother then ghost recon i played the embasy map on bot and there was no comparison first i played it in soaf with graphics all mased out on ghost recon i tried that it was so choppy and crap i could not do it then i set them both all the same like medium and soaf was way better