GR vs. SOAF Render Performance

Does anyone else have both of these games and notice that SOAF appears to render the same maps with better performance/frame rates for the same render settings?

I may have missed something or some buried setting but it seems the newer game does perform better -- which is also odd as the games seem to run on identical dlls...

Both games use exactly the same engine so that's impossible.

You probably didn't create the same conditions for each test (which is very important).

Edited by |rsi|â„¢deleyt

Just guessing, :huh: but the performance could lie in the maps themselves. SOAF maps are very small, highly portalised, and and have very few trees (and hence fewer overlapping alpha-textures.

Even within GR itself, different maps have different fps. I'm getting about 20fps for m01_Caves but 100fps for C0? Polling station.

I ran the same maps on each engine, stood in the same places, identical settings... The engines may be the same but they are not feature identical; different config options in each, different HUD features etc..

Never tried to run my GR config file on SOAF to see if I could prone etc,, but I doubt it would work... And as SOAF renders a real-time mini-map at all times you'd think it would be the one to suffer.

There's a little goo-gaw to copy all your GR maps to SOAF and I think there's one that goes the other way as well if ya wanna 'try this at home kids' and see what happens on your PC; I'll dredge up the links if anyone's interested.

Edited by Hoak

It's pretty interseting to see how GR-maps/missions would play on SOAF.

SOAF has been tried on the GR-engine..but vica versa?

Equally strange why SOAF never kicked off...I mean,, tha game isn't bad at all. I rather play SOAF then any of the other fancy CQB-games with loads of graphical improvements.

Yeah it's a shame SOAF did so poor. Everyone just called it a GR rip-off mod.

Me, Pave, and NK use to play it a lot, and had a blast. Some really neat things in the game, like the working flashbangs, and the M4 combos.

I think so. Never tried it yet, but since the engine and it's setup is completly the same, it should simply be a matter of copying it to your SOAF mods-folder and active the mod.

Never tried it though. I think Hoak did.

Yeah it's a shame SOAF did so poor. Everyone just called it a GR rip-off mod.

Yeah, it was a rip-off really. If UBI had their marketing in order they should have seen that consumers are not idiots.

If they called it an expansion-pack and gave it the proper price-tag, people would have bene a lot more willing to accept it's sale.

Edited by |rsi|â„¢deleyt

This may be a stupid question, but ... if SOAF and GR use the same engine, could we not have working flashbangs in GR (at least for SP/coop)?

SOAF uses a slightly modified version of the GR engine. It's not the same exact version.

The modifications allowing things like climbing, flashbangs, the AI working on more the 2 floors, etc...

It's pretty interseting to see how GR-maps/missions would play on SOAF.

SOAF has been tried on the GR-engine..but vica versa?

Equally strange why SOAF never kicked off...I mean,, tha game isn't bad at all. I rather play SOAF then any of the other fancy CQB-games with loads of graphical improvements.

@ Deyleyt, You said that you're an architectural engineer. Would it be a bonus for me to take some architect classes in conjunction with or after my pc game design schooling?

I thought that that knowledge would help in my game level designs

Well, it helps to create a more realistic environment since you understand construction- and buildingprocesses better.

Taking proper architectural classes usually take years to complete though.

It's up to you to decide if it's worth the effort, unless you enjoy architecture regardless of your 3D carreer.

So being an architect takes alot of time like a doctor kind of? Well, the way I figured it, it would yes help me to make more realistic environments, but I can use any CADCAM apps to develop .DXF files to import in say 3dsmax etc and then apply textures etc to make game levels(Noot just GR levels.)

BTW to the one who started this thread, there is NO difference in SOAF VS GR. they are exactly alike minus some small parts. I played SOAF tonight and ran a GR M4 mod for GR in it and it works fine. :rofl:

So being an architect takes alot of time like a doctor kind of? Well, the way I figured it, it would yes help me to make more realistic environments, but I can use any CADCAM apps to develop .DXF files to import in say 3dsmax etc and then apply textures etc to make game levels(Noot just GR levels.)

Yes, becoming an architect is a by law protected profession. I don't think it's worth the money and the time to take up classes for architecture. A workshop might be more suitable and with some common sense you won't need an architectural degree to design gamelevels accurately.

If you just study some buildings under construction or finished ones, it should be possible to notice enough to implement them into your gamelevels.

Exporting in .DXF is one solution but not the best one since it breaks all the indiviual objects into pieces resulting in losing it's attributes.

3D Studio Max and AutoCad are perfectly interchangable and both support .DWG and .3DS.

Using a more accurate program like AutoCad is very suitable to layout your gamelevels, especially if it's something urban.

I layed out White-Skull Valley using AutoCad, then exporting it to 3D Studio Max to elevate and texture it.

SOAF is short for Sum Of All Fears.

It's a game released by UBI and developed by Red Strom Entertainment and is in a sense a daughter of Ghost Recon.

Ghost Recon is focusing on rural environments with outdoor battles, while SOAF is focusing on urban environments with indoor battles.

It's interesting what appears to have received more carefully crafted treatment on SOAF then GR, and what's sort of sloppy by comparison... I wonder if that was down to time and budget constraints... or something else...

I thought that was very interesting myself. Many of the details in many of the maps go way beyond the detail seen in GR but then at times things that look good in GR look lousy in SOAF. Some of the enemy skins look like someone just threw them together in a couple minutes even.

@MsKitty, if your lucky enough to search the clearance bins in your local PC SOFTWARE shops, last time I saw SOAF was $9.99.

btw, nice to see women getting into GR. Maybe one day there would be more women clan in GR than in Quake and UT. Sorry off tracked.

Search this site, and sister site AGR-S, there are active ppl there discussing the very same possibilities.

(Makes me wonder if that ironsights M16 could be used to replace the regular stock M16's <_< )

All you have to do is find the model in SOAF which you want to replace in GR. Now copy the file and rename it to iw_rifle_m16.qob. Drop that into your GR/Mods/Origmiss/Models folder.

I did the same thing with SOAF M4 SOPMOD, used it to replace the standard GR M4 model. :o=

-edit-

Actually I think the m16 model is already named as above in SOAF so all you'd have to do is copy and paste.

Edited by Suicide Commando

SOAF is short for Sum Of All Fears.

It's a game released by UBI and developed by Red Strom Entertainment and is in a sense a daughter of Ghost Recon.

Goodness, how on earth could I have missed that. The book the movie AND the game?

*hangs head in shame*

I've been a bit of a fan of Tom Clancy's work after the Hunt for the Red October. Read the book and seen the movie. Makes it all the more shameful to have missed this. I've been slowly trying to buy some of his other books as well.

Guess I'll have to do a bit of more shopping this afternoon . :lol:

Hoak: thanks for the link. I'm reading it now.

Ledanek: Actually, I am from the quake scene :lol:, but I grew bored of the whole frag 'n roll kind of theme. Even played some fair amount of CS back the. I've been trying to get my friends interested, and even family so who knows ;) the future is bright!

edit: I miss-edited the edit. go figure.

Edited by MsKitty

Hoak thanks for starting this thread as it got me curious about SoAF.

Ledanek: thanks for the heads up that it might be on sale still. I got my hands on a copy for €14,95. Can't wait to play it.

After playing a lot of Ghost Recon, I have retried to play Rogue Spear, but I just don't get it lol. Not to mention it won't save my progress (I had to start over on the campagne 4 times now, and still no campagne saved even after finishing mission one). Raven Shield seems even more trickier. I guess the no saving is what bothers me most.

Anyway, I'm off to play the sum of all fears. Laters ;)

Update: Wow brilliant game haha. Ok, I am really liking this after finishing just one mission. Its obvious that it has a GR heritage, but it is different enough to feel new. Love the extra Spec Op options (i won't use no save, but the casualty is almost a must, imo).

Don't like that you only get a small team of 3 and cannot switch teams, but I think the gameplay is brilliant.

It feels like playing Ghost Recon in a rainbow six jacket. Somehow I wish I could play Rogue Spear this way :rofl: Thanks again for the suggestion, I'm very happy with this buy. :thumbsup:

naturaly, the next question is, if I like this type of games, what other titles would I likely enjoy as well? I still feel rainbow six is too complex, because I don't really like the whole planning phase. I've almost bought the SWAT collection, but I was afraid it might be too much like rainbow six and much less like ghost recon (planning wise).

Edited by MsKitty