A question for Modders

Buzz

:rocky:

Just a quick question. I was playing with the idea of doing some map building until I saw the amount of money it would take to buy the 3dsm product. I was a bit surprised that it is a couple of thousand dollars? So I got to wondering, WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE who make the wonderful mods and maps that we all love to play?

So modders, if you have time, could you answer a couple of quick questions for me?

Is your modding in any way related to your full-time job?

What is your full time job?

If you work in something completely different than graphic design, software engineering, etc, how do you find the time and the money to do GR modding?

What kind of education or study did you do to understand the intricacies of writing and making mods?

Thanks in advance to any who reply.

Buzz

PS, I think that mapping will be too cost-prohibitive for me to do as a hobby. Wish they had a shareware version- hahaha. :shifty:

We modders are a extremist secret society..... :ph34r: .....i could tell you all about it, but off course, you may never turn on any eletric device at home or start the you car engine. :devil: and YES, we'll be watching you closely, althou you wont see us.

*LOOOL* :lol::lol::lol::lol:

1. Is your modding in any way related to your full-time job?

2. What is your full time job?

3. If you work in something completely different than graphic design, software engineering, etc, how do you find the time and the money to do GR modding?

4. What kind of education or study did you do to understand the intricacies of writing and making mods?

OK, here som answers for the Newbies:

1. No

2. Currently i served a Online Newspaper

3. I need for may Job 5-6 Hours at Day. So i find enough Time in my Office and by Night, app. 2-4 Hours.

4. Never studied anything or similar. I am a Autodidakt :lol:

If you work in something completely different than graphic design, software engineering, etc, how do you find the time and the money to do GR modding?

What kind of education or study did you do to understand the intricacies of writing and making mods?

1. No

2. Student

3. Time is always a big concern, you just have to make time to mod, but like Sixpence i mostly mod at night ( who needs 8 hours of sleep :blink: ) and before i have to go to school or work during the day.

4. I took the gr.net school of modding, downloaded the videotuts by Pain and just started trying to make stuff with the help of more experienced modders on these forums, but any modder will tell you the learning never stops.

Edited by swartsz

Buzz

PS, I think that mapping will be too cost-prohibitive for me to do as a hobby. Wish they had a shareware version- hahaha. :shifty:

1: I wish!

2: Woolworths Storeperson. Pick and pack boxes all day long in a distributions centre :wall: Oh well...pays the bills I guess.

3: Time's pretty tight for modding, especially working morning shift 4 to 5 days a week and having a family, I try to fit it in during any free moment I can scrounge up. Wife's even threatened with grabbing a photo of me and tape to the back of my head as all she sees is the back of my head gazing at the computer monitor for hours on end! :unsure:

4: Originally a computer science student at uni but flunked/skipped out after one year. Came across this site and after seeing all the great work being done started wondering if I could possibly do something similar. Checked all the tutorials I could get my hands on and stared modeling....the rest is history.

And Swartsz is spot on...you never stop learning!

Well, I don't qualify as one of "THESE PEOPLE who make the wonderful mods and maps that we all love to play", but my answer is

no

currently employed by an institution of higher education

no family + no life = plenty of time for modding

job = educational discount software :)

None. Started modding Rogue Spear so I've had plenty of time learning how to screw up

Just a quick question. I was playing with the idea of doing some map building until I saw the amount of money it would take to buy the 3dsm product. I was a bit surprised that it is a couple of thousand dollars?

LOL, try over $3000 for most. The dirty little secret of modding is that almost nobody actually pays for these big, expensive, applications...shhhhhhh

Ever see "Office Space"? LOL, nah I'm a tech dept manager now, finally working steady again after 5 months thanks to our wonderful economy.

how do you find the time and the money to do GR modding?

Money is not an issue because modding is free except for the actual games, which I always buy. If you're making small mods, it doesn't take that long once you learn the process. Big mods require a good time commitment, so a lot of us are up till 4 in the moning and working a lot of the weekend for a while. NED took us almost a year.

It's all self education. Depending on the type of mods you are making, you can hunt for tutorials, or download a mod of that type and open it up and look at what somebody else did, to learn that way. In the Rogue Spear days that's what I did. GR came along, but was essentially the same to mod as Rogue Spear, just simplified some.

I think that mapping will be too cost-prohibitive for me to do as a hobby. Wish they had a shareware version-

You ever download music from a place like Kazaa? Use your imagination.... :shifty:

Edited by Cocobolo DTD

I got my Copy of 3dsm off another forum member here :D Nowt illegal about that.

I am also a student, and may one day do this proffesionally Ive been told many times to do it and have had a few words from people on the inside saying the same.

I have no education in all the forms of computing and programs I have come across simply self taught. I think you will find that if you talk to the top modders, specially people like Jack57 and El oso that they are very very sharp minded people with very very quick minds and thats how they have got so good, I think a lot of patience and drive is needed but thats all.

For someone like me, this line of hobbie opens the door to so many ways of making money in the future it takes the pressure of by knowing I could go do something computer based like this for a living which is a big big motivator. Always have plan B.

1. - No

2. - Law Enforcement

3. - I ignore my wife, and i get paid well.

4. - Self Taught

1. No

2. I was a Mac operator at a large printing facility before they decided to close the shop in December last year. Since I was laid off, modding has been my full time job.

3. While making Frostbite, I averaged 4 to 5 hours sleep a night. On my days off I worked up to 18 hours a day on it.

4. Self- taught. I've purchased a huge number of books from Amazon and I frequented 3dbuzz.com where they have free training videos. Oh and 3ds max comes with a huge online help database. It took about 6 months of using it to get comfortable with the software and how it integrates with Ghost Recon.

-No

-I go to school :blink:

-ha, I don't have much time to do modding, 1 or 2 hours on weekdays and maybe 6 hours on weekends

-I mostly taught things myself.

Thanks to all the people who have responded. I know there's a lot of talented people out there. I guess when I have a few spare months, I'll sit down and try to do some mapping. Gotta get the software first though.

Thanks again!

Buzz

Not modding per definition, but modeling, yes.

I have my own business in producing architectural drawings and 3D presentations of architectural designs (I'm not an architect, I'm an architectural engineer).

I just make time because I enjoy it (sometimes ;) ).

Reading the enclosured manuals, forums (like GR.NET), discussing problems/ideas with friends in the GR-community and just experimenting a lot myself.

1 - Is your modding in any way related to your full-time job?

2 - What is your full time job?

3 - If you work in something completely different than graphic design, software engineering, etc, how do you find the time and the money to do GR modding?

4 - What kind of education or study did you do to understand the intricacies of writing and making mods?

1 - Yes and no.

2 - Making a good impression on my sergeant.

3 - Finding time: I mod when I can. I used to mod full time. Finding money: My wife's a teacher. We get software cheap.

4 - None. You learn by finding out what doesn't work, and trying something different. As far as learning the intricacies of the various software, reading the manual and tutorials helps immensely.

1 - Is your modding in any way related to your full-time job?

2 - What is your full time job?

3 - If you work in something completely different than graphic design, software engineering, etc, how do you find the time and the money to do GR modding?

4 - What kind of education or study did you do to understand the intricacies of writing and making mods?

1 - Kind of sort of maybe one day...

2 - Couch potatoe - Weekend job perhaps... working at gunshows.

3 - Take a break from beeing couch potatoe

4 - I read/am reading this really big book i dont want to. But it helps a lot.

I'll just say this, I have no experience with computers at all and dont work with them in any sense. I worked on satellite communications equipment in the Army, years ago, thats about it. It takes absolutely no formal training to mod this game. This to me, is like any other hobby i've had, I do it when I have the time.