Ghost Recon.net Forums

Well, since I reformatted my HDD since my hacker attack, I thought about reloading 3D Mark 2001SE for kicks.

For those of you that don't know, I had tried it about 2 months ago and I couldn't get past the installation of the Texture Conversions. But I was able to run it np with the reinstalled Dx 8.1 and it's pretty cool. My score was a bit lower than I had hoped for...but since I don't overclock at all or tweak much, I guess it was expected.

8025 3D marks

...but maybe with my new GF FX card (hoping :P ), it'll be better. Anyway, the score doesn't matter much to me as long as my games and GR run and look good...and who wants to turn off AA for higher frame rates when I bought a GF4...I mean, come on, so you got 300 fps or whatever, but it looks like crap. Ok, I'm ranting but I am excited cause I can play the cool demo! :D

Edited by Dark Ranger

I had a score of 9865 stock, then I doubled my aperature in bios from 128 to 256 and it actually went down 20. I've left that but I oc'ed the memory on my vidy card from 450 to 500 and my results jumped to 10188.

System specs:

Windows XPpro Service Pack 1

P4 2.4b

Intel D845PESV 533 fsb

512 Megs DDR @ 333 mHz

Chaintech G4 4200ti 128DDR core @ 250, mem @ 450

2 7200rpm Maxtor drives

To understand overclocking, you need to realize that there is a single clock which controls all operations made by the computer. The various operations (for example graphics) are slaved to the clock. The clock measures time in what is typically called a tick, or cycle, or the clock refresh rate and reflects a discrete measure of time.

The cycle is also commonly converted to an operational frequency, (1.0/tick). For example, a clock cycle of 7.5 nanoseconds converts to a 133 MHz clock speed. (The clock cycle is a sinusoidal wave for those familiar with such representations. The cycle is thus made of a positive half and a negative half.)

To understand overclocking, you need to realize that there is a single clock which controls all operations made by the computer. The various operations (for example graphics) are slaved to the clock. The clock measures time in what is typically called a tick, or cycle, or the clock refresh rate and reflects a discrete measure of time.

The cycle is also commonly converted to an operational frequency, (1.0/tick). For example, a clock cycle of 7.5 nanoseconds converts to a 133 MHz clock speed. (The clock cycle is a sinusoidal wave for those familiar with such representations. The cycle is thus made of a positive half and a negative half.)

HUH????

Care to use laymen's terms!i!i!i!i!i! :blink:

Nightcrawler, could have just said that 'overclocking' means to make your components go faster. For example, my gfx card is overclocked from 275mhz to 300mhz and my cpu is overclocked almost 200mhz over it's original speed, thus raising the clock cycle (had to tie into his post some way :lol:).

:blink::( Hmm my score came out to 5395... :unsure::wacko:

Specs:

-Win XP Home

-AMD Athlon 2000+

-512 MB DDR

-Geforce 4 Ti 4400 (core: 285 mhz/ mem: 564mhz)

EDIT:

Ok turned the resolution down and got a score of 9007 ;)

Edited by Meth

running the 29.42 driver and nothing o/c i get 11875 madonion 2000

9636 2001 se build333.

its amazing how far weve come with graphic cards and chips when i first got GR i was benching 1800 on mad onion 2000 amd k6 500 asus mobo and an old leadtek gf256 pro never even thought of upgrading as all the games i played online till that time looked amazing to me , but after getting the gr demo i realised that no amount of tweaking on my part would get the results i wanted from this game, the funny thing is games like UT and elite force always looked good and havent seemed to get any better with a newer system a few more fps thats all, just goes to show how the newer games are getting cpu and gpu intensive, even onboard sound seems to cause more hassle than it used to i never bothered with pci audio cards till GR, maybe this is a conpiricy (sp)

Edited by snakebite1967

Hey Meth, your score with res up is what I ussually average. I need some help too, I can reduce my resolution but my score doesn't change I am running 3DMark2001 SE, do I need to do it somewhere other than in the properties box on the desktop? Thanks in advan ;)

Firewire, yes. That's how most overclocking jobs that go bad happen, the cpu or another component fries from the heat. How it works, is each component is rated for a certain speed, and then down rated to what the customer gets (good quality ram, cpus, etc) for reliability. Thus, you can push it to its actual limits, temp and stability willing.

Stinger, that probably means the pci slot for your card is bottle necking it. Look in bios for something to increase pci memory or pci bandwidth. Then max it out, if it exist.

Edited by RooK