Infact - 2 words or one?

Rocky

It is in fact. There is no word 'infact' in the English language. It is merely sloppiness by people who are unconcerned about the quality of their linguistics.

In a similar category, how many perfectly normal adults do you know that think 'ur' replaces your and you're when using email or an instant messenger program? Sad, really.

Nothing annoys me more than a txt style written email. I got one the other day from a big client (1 3/4 million quid turnover). Makes you wonder how they got that big when their staff can't write the Queen's.

Not as bad as the one I received last week all in capitals... (which I had to retype before I could use it).

It is in fact.  There is no word 'infact' in the English language.  It is merely sloppiness by people who are unconcerned about the quality of their linguistics.

I wasn't being sloppy when I used "infact" in a report recently, I have always thought "infact" was the correct spelling! Only today it was pointed out to me (by Silentnight) that I was making a mistake.

I was very surpised to check the dictionary and not find an entry for "infact". You live and learn!

Now onto the biggie... correct useage of the comma :blink:

I certainly didn't mean deliberately sloppy. I'm rather guilty of horrible grammar and spelling quite frequently, and I call it sloppiness on my part as I should know better. After all, I'm supposed to be fluent in English, right? :blink:

Some folks are deliberately lazy, others just forget the proper useage. No matter the excuse, it's a poor one. :(

Rocky:

Think I've mentioned this before, but there are two books that are practically essential reading for matters like these. The books being Bill Bryson's Mother Tongue (which includes loads of fascinating information about English and language in general) and Lynn Truss's Eats, Shoots and Leaves.

The second book, in particular, is a nice quick-reference for sticky grammar situations like yours, while the first provides more of a background.

Check them out here and here

By the way, did I get the "/rainbow6aggressi/" part right in those URLs?

Rocky:

Think I've mentioned this before, but there are two books that are practically essential reading for matters like these.  The books being Bill Bryson's Mother Tongue (which includes loads of fascinating information about English and language in general) and Lynn Truss's Eats, Shoots and Leaves.

The second book, in particular, is a nice quick-reference for sticky grammar situations like yours, while the first provides more of a background.

Check them out here and here

By the way, did I get the "/rainbow6aggressi/" part right in those URLs?

Ah yes I do recall those books now.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...inbow6aggressi/

mouse over and look down at your stauts bar to see the correct link - the rainbow6aggressi goes right after the item reference number. It's been a long long time since I got a cheque from amazon anyway, so it's not a big thing, but I appreciate the thought!

"I thought I was buying a bargain, when infact it was a dud."

in fact or infact?

:no:

oh he of little faith ;)

and any lesson that rocky has learnt about commas would be second hand :shifty:

.:Nightmare:.,Jun 28 2004, 09:24 ] Moreover

Whereas

What I don't get is: Church and Chemist....the "CH's" are pronounced differently in those words....it should be Church and Kemist or Kurch and Chemist or Kurch and Kemist :wacko::P

what about pneumonia? :blink: the p is silent, so why not just get rid of it?