Container Yard Crane

StereoG

Hi guys you remember i posted that horrible structure? lmao. Well ive done some other cranes. There is 4 of them one at each corner. Here are some screenshots of the crane. The map is almost complete and it should be out in a few days depending if everything goes smoothly.

Any feedback is always welcome.

Thankyou.

Edited by StereoG

So much better! Very good decision to get rid of that previous crane. This one looks much better. My only suggestion is that you don't make the wide spot on the crane arm quite so wide. The angles look a little exaggerated.

Actually, I think it'd look best if it didn't expand and then contract. It should start with a wide base and have a consistent taper to the edge.

I still don't think I've seen any pics with lighting. Are you going to use the lighting tool for this map?

Anyway, looks 10x better, and the massive structure in the distance (first and last shots) looks very ominous. Great mood-setter.

oh yeah..that crane is the cherry on the icecake.

The structure looks a lot more convincing. Good choice in discarding the old one and making a more realistic one. Nice job!

The textures on the operating cabin could be a little more convincing and also put some windows in..the operator needs to see where he's putting his cargo ;)

When you see the cranes..you immediatly know you're in a docking/shipping-area. :thumbsup:

Oh..and the bushes could be stacked a little more staggered, rather then in a straight line. It will make your scene less "artificial"

Edited by |rsi|â„¢deleyt

The company work for now actually sends me off to various container ports/ loading docks, container yards etc so I hope you don't mind if I make a few observations.

First, the yard looks quite authentic! A yard I was working in a few months ago looked just like it! :thumbsup:

Also, I've seen many cranes as big as the one you got there, that can stack containers 8-12 high. But all these different types of crane can move, usually on about 2 dozen railway-type steel wheels. The tracks of the wheels are about 30 feet apart. This way, a few cranes can cover every inch of the yard.

Somethinglike this.

container3.jpg

If you want, you can even make the crane a dynamic map objectand make it move around :D

Edited by The Worm

Ok guys ive made a few adjustments althought its not totaly perfect but its close enough for me who has been buggering around with this thing for hours on end.

You cant fall from it but you can snipe from it and the top section has drainage holes so you can snipe small areas of the map through those, You can grab some screens of the earlier version of the map with the dark mapping applied Here

Deleyt i hear what your saying about the detail element but its getting to the stage i need to start thinking about polys and they are high and showing on the fps in gr when loaded with 100 tangos and 2 vehicles. Remember this is a multiplayer map although it is shaping up to be a mission map aswell lol. The trees and bushes i assume where planted by a landscape gardener so i imagine it would be uniform.

Thanks for the info Worm.

Edited by StereoG

Ok guys the map is almost in your mits. It supports everything, ctf, siege,lms,ff and ive included a custom multiplayer game type called "sg assualt 100" which basically gives you invincibility for 15 secs on spawn and 100 enemies.

The mod will include night and day versions of the map. There is two spawn versions available, Container Yard CQB Night & Day and Container Yard Large Night & Day. The team spawns for the cqb version are within the offices and the team spawns for the large version are at the opposite corners for all 4 teams.

Hopefully this will be good enough to get featured on gr.net's front page. :D

Heres some screens for you detail junkies out there.... Mr windows to see lol. 20 inall. 640x480

ScreenShot28.jpg

ScreenShot31.jpg

ScreenShot36.jpg

ScreenShot39.jpg

ScreenShot44.jpg

ScreenShot45.jpg

ScreenShot46.jpg

ScreenShot47.jpg

ScreenShot48.jpg

ScreenShot50.jpg

ScreenShot51.jpg

ScreenShot52.jpg

ScreenShot53.jpg

ScreenShot54.jpg

ScreenShot55.jpg

ScreenShot56.jpg

ScreenShot57.jpg

ScreenShot58.jpg

ScreenShot60.jpg

ScreenShot62.jpg

Edited by StereoG

I think you're nailing a winner of a map here. :D One of the things you might be considering is to add some light fixtures to the inside of the office building and some furniture or boxes to hide behind inside the building. Light fixtures could be your standard florescent lighting fixtures found in all offices (really a simple model).

I really can't wait to see a lighting solution on this map. It willl add a ton of ambience. ;)

Your right i really should do more to the inside of the offices not furniture but as you say boxes and light fittings etc...

Oh and could you help me plz?

How do i get spot lights like the ones they use in the pow camp map?

I tried spot light in the lighting tool but it didnt work, maybe exported wrong or wrong settings?

If i know me those lights and boxes will be done within a few hours. :D

Thanks.

Good Luck with the spotlights. I ran several tests over a year ago and was never able to get them to work. The pdf states that they are extremely tricky to get to work and advises against using them. They only made an appearance on the POW map which further demonstrates that they aren't worth the effort since RSE never used them again.

The spot light in the lighting tool does work but I would once again advise on using point lights. The spotlights take longer to process in the lighting tool and the same effect can be achieved with two well positioned point lights. You'll have to use the +/- keys to adjust the attenuation for the light to get it to cover more or less area. Also on a spotlight increasing the angle to 90 degrees lights more area than the 45 degrees and becomes more noticeable.

I dont think i will bother lol.

Can i maybe put a white dot on the darkmaps where the lights are?

Yea ive read the pdf and cant understand half the stuff because i havent really put it into practice. I will say this that pdf stinks its not accurate on some things and leaves out important information. I think they could have made a better job of it even if its not official.

The lighting tool stinks also the ui is crap, also they could have done a better job. You know these tools work and do thier job so i cant complain really.

I thank the guys @ rse for such a great game and modding capability to go with it. Although it expands the games lifespan it also gives us enjoyment creating these mods and also GhostRecon.net, afterall it wouldnt be here if it werent for gr.

Ill keep yall posted.

Thanks.

I dont think i will bother lol.

Can i maybe put a white dot on the darkmaps where the lights are?

Yea ive read the pdf and cant understand half the stuff because i havent really put it into practice. I will say this that pdf stinks its not accurate on some things and leaves out important information. I think they could have made a better job of it even if its not official.

The lighting tool stinks also the ui is crap, also they could have done a better job. You know these tools work and do thier job so i cant complain really.

I thank the guys @ rse for such a great game and modding capability to go with it. Although it expands the games lifespan it also gives us enjoyment creating these mods and also GhostRecon.net, afterall it wouldnt be here if it werent for gr.

Ill keep yall posted.

Thanks.

The whole purpose of the lighting tool is to add light and shadows. It does not create the geometry for the lights. You have to do that in 3ds Max.

The pdf was probably written by a programmer or level designer which is why it is all out of order and some things aren't correct or unclear. Basically, some guy that wasn't an English major in college. It takes a lot of practice and re-reading to figure out what they were trying to document here. You are quite correct in that a better job could have been done on it, but software documentation is always last on the list of things to do.

The lighting tool is really, really simple to use once you get the hang of it. All of the keyboard shortcuts ARE documented and this is actually one of the better parts of the level building pdf. Unfortunately you can't resize the window other than 640x480. I would recommend not putting a white dot on the darkmap but using a point light just above the ground where the light would naturally hit and another one just below the light fixture geometry. This should illuminate both the ground and the fixture to achieve the best results.

You can open up an already lit map to check out how RSE accomplished different ligthing schemes if you're having trouble understanding the concept of the different lights and where to use them.

I will need to find out more. Thx m8 you have put me on the right tracks.

The strip lights for the offices are done and have glass in them. I also changed some wallpaper/textures and added some some storage boxes and edited the for sale sign saying "Furniture In Storage" lmao.

Edited by StereoG

Hey guys ive made some adjustments to the inside of the office but i dont know if this is final yet because when i detached the inner walls to retexture them they started to glitch again so i may have to go back to the old design im going to attach them again and see if that sorts it. Heres pics of some changes etc...

bh01.jpg

bh02.jpg

mainmenu.jpg

office01.jpg

office02.jpg

office03.jpg

office04.jpg

Edited by StereoG