What Book Are You Currently Reading?

deadly_sniper22

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So recently I've been devouring military books like something fierce. In as many weeks I've read five books including (in order):

Masters of Chaos

Bravo Two Zero

The Cell

Generation Kill

Jawbreaker

In an effort to preserve some sense of continuity, I've just cracked open Hunting the Jackal being that Billy Waugh was with Gary Bernsten among the joint CIA/SF forward team in Afghanistan. It's nice how the book in fact opens with Waugh's experience as part of that team. So far it's been a heck of a page turner and I may blow through this one quicker than I'd hoped. It's tough to put it down.

I was very close to buying Not a Good Day to Die as a way of continuing where Jawbreaker left off but Hatchetforce's negative feedback about the book kept me from doing so.

Another book I've got in my sights (pun intended) is Shooter ... a top Marine sniper call-sign Gabriel ... c'mon!! How can you not dig that??!!

Any other suggestions please?

Gates of Fire - Steven Pressfield

Nice dude ... ever since watching a peice on the History channel, Thermopylae has always interested me.

I really thought about buying it too but I don't like the fact that it's a novel. The Spartans at Thermopylae is certainly one of the greatest events from antiquity as far as military matters are concerned. Always loved Leonidas' quote "Eat a good breakfast men for tonight we shall dine in hell."

This book, while a novel is well worth the time, I was initially skeptical, but am well pleased that I picked it up, it cam e highly recomended and I'm sure I'll read it again at some point.

Edited to ad that I've also just finished the first 2 by Oliver North (very clancy-esque) they follow a central character through some hypothetical events based in real world current event settings. They are a quick read and I found them enjoyable.

Just finished Anne Rice's The Witching Hour, dispite one issue, this was one of the best read I have had in a long time, Also just finished River God, a some times slow, but still really great book.

(I have a bad habbit of reading multiple books a one time)

I finished Dan Brown's "Illuminati" some while ago. I read it just out of interest because of the Dan Brown-hype at the moment. I was really disappointed. Brown certainly has an eye for details but the book wasn't as thrilling as I expected.

I need to get a Clancy book again, haven't read one for ages :)

:D

CC

Edited by CommandoCrazy

This book, while a novel is well worth the time, I was initially skeptical, but am well pleased that I picked it up, it cam e highly recomended and I'm sure I'll read it again at some point.

Hmm, I will probably pick it up then down the line. Didn't the author write a similarly styled novel about Alexander The Great?

I finished Hunting the Jackal this weekend ... it really ought to be called anything but Hunting the Jackal. Operations focusing on Carlos was maybe 1/3rd of the book at best. Don't get me wrong - it's a great book.

Just started Shooter and so far I'm digging it.