What would classic Tank look like............

ruggbutt

The GR engine is a modified Rogue Spear engine, which in turn was modified a third time for GR2. I've seen the screenshots and I'm hoping those are from the console, cuz they don't look good enuf to keep up w/whats being released on the market. I hope GR2 isn't gonna look dated (like Soldner) for it's release.

Edited by ruggbutt

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to be hopeful, but I have little confidence that UBI isn't going to "gamebox" or "xbox" the title. Of course, I'd love to be surprised. Harntrox's mod has been the only oasis in a very long desert of neglect from UBI on this game.

Deleyt, I'd recommend getting a bit more info and maybe mucking around w/the engine before going off half cocked. I'm not going to get into any more details but you really have no clue about FC. Sci-fi game...............roflmfao.

Nice looking conversion.

I guess mutant monkeys with rocket launchers on their arms doesn't qualify as "sci-fi" in your definition. :P

I played the whole SP campaign and it had a very strong "sci-fi" feel to me. I'm not knocking Far Cry or this mod. I think its a great idea and Far Cry was a lot of fun to play.

...One of mine is a Ranger and that doesn't happen IRL. In fact, he told me that everytime he had to shoot someone w/a 5.56 one shot wouldn't take 'em down unless you scored a head shot. He had to hit them numerous times to put 'em down...

Hmmph. What type of 5.56mm round was he using? AP? The NATO Standard 5.56mm tumbles inside someone...that makes a bit of a mess, on the inside especially and the hydrostatic shock does quite a number as well.

Perhaps your 'Ranger' friend missed?

Deleyt, I'd recommend getting a bit more info and maybe mucking around w/the engine before going off half cocked. I'm not going to get into any more details but you really have no clue about FC. Sci-fi game...............roflmfao

I thought Deleyt said pretty much the same thing I was thinking. It looks like someone took a desert map as a base and converted the idea into an alien tropical island. It really doesnt have the look or feel of the Tank map at all. Sure it looks neat but I also don't understand what this has to do with GR2. I thought FC was quite Sci Fi myself, maybe you missed something...............roflmfao.

What type of 5.56mm round was he using?  AP? 

Green tip, I think the designation is SS109. Whatever was standard issue at that place and time . Additionally, there is no true AP for the 5.56 round. The military calls it a "Penetrator" round, it has a tungsten core. My Ranger friend did 2 tours in Afghanistan (6 months apiece) and 2 in Iraq. I'm pretty sure that he didn't just shoot and miss at one person. If he said he hit the guy several times I believe him. Maybe you should do some searching on ballsitics and physical damage from bullets. I shot many years professionally, was a CCW instructor for Arizona, had a Federal Firearms License and loaded my own ammo. I read just about every report that was released by military and civilian sources. 5.56 is not a 1 shot stopper by any means, it never has been and wasn't designed to. It's a fact that if you kill a soldier on the battlefield, that the enemy is only down one man as a combat effective. If you wound one that needs medical attention, you lose 3 or 4 combat effectives as it takes at least two others to get their buddy help. And if you look at the bank robbers in California that used the AK's, they didn't get a bunch of 1 shot kills w/7.62x39.

Oso, I play exclusively m/p and was a beta tester. No monkeys w/rocket launchers there.

Sleeper, how is genetic engineering Sci-Fi? Seems like scientists in England are doing stem cell research and sheep have been cloned. 50 years ago that might have been sci-fi, but now it looks like the near future. Kinda like GR set in 2008-2010.

Soroc made the map and tried to make the rock formations look more "real", unlike the long straight ridgelines in GR. Sorry guys, I was born in the desert and the mountains don't look like that. Look at the mountainous regions in Afghanistan or those in Death Valley. No straight ridgelines whatsover. UBI and RSE are gonna screw the pooch w/GR2, I'm sure we're all seeing the writing on the wall. I plan on having something else to play other than an Xbox-ified GR2.

Edited by ruggbutt

Believe me mate I'm familiar, I am an Advanced Small Arms Instructor. I agree with the one-shot-one-kill nonsense, but getting shot by a 5.56mm standard round will more than likely knock you out of the fight...and quite likely lead to death.

Anywhoo we are really argueing a similar point and there is no need to cross swords again... I get annoyed is all when people refer to their "friends" who are in the military and act on that as gospel...

And I've seen Rangers Miss.

Edited by MarauderMike

...One of mine is a Ranger and that doesn't happen IRL.  In fact, he told me that everytime he had to shoot someone w/a 5.56 one shot wouldn't take 'em down unless you scored a head shot.  He had to hit them numerous times to put 'em down...

Hmmph. What type of 5.56mm round was he using? AP? The NATO Standard 5.56mm tumbles inside someone...that makes a bit of a mess, on the inside especially and the hydrostatic shock does quite a number as well.

There is a lot of misinformation out there, and I am not disagreeing with either of you, but there really is no AP - it is just M 855 green tip - heaviest in grains with tighter barrel twist in the new m-4. One shot to the torso stopping an enemy depends on a LOT, is he wearing body armor, fat guy, center of mass or off to one side, etc. Rounds don't "tumble" all the time - but the 855 fired from a 1/12 twist will destabilize after a couple of hundred meters then it is much less likely to remain on trajectory. Just because a friend of a friend says a ranger says it don't make it so.

science fiction

n.

A literary or cinematic genre in which fantasy, typically based on speculative scientific discoveries or developments, environmental changes, space travel, or life on other planets, forms part of the plot or background.

Theres nothing to do with with scientific developments, environmental, space travel, etc, in GR being set in 2008-2010. GR is Political and/or Military Fiction not Science.

**edit** I changed most of my post due to lack of interest, who cares. :wacko:

Edited by sleeper

"Same as FC and all other titles, all uses third party physics simulation, so it HAS physics, never said that valve coded it themselves."

just thought i add a correction, it seems there is often some confusion about this.

the CryTek engine uses its own physics engine the only thing that was "outside" is the Lua language.

tank is a lot of fun, and other than more realistic terrain and more greenery than the original, its tank. the graphics may vary a little, due to the textures used and a new spin ( really do we want the exact same map, i know it may sound nice but...)

this map does have some changes, and why not. CryEngine is more powerfull.

ive played this map a bit and its a lot of fun.

and yes ok so far cry has a scifi "twist" its still mostly merc's and jungle.

and its a lot less scifi than the original incarnation of dino's and aliens.

oh and rugg, in case you havent found it yet, Cry Tek already tossed in an unused limp animation, it can be "recoded" in just like the roll. no need for SDK on that one.

One shot to the torso stopping an enemy depends on a LOT, is he wearing body armor, fat guy, center of mass or off to one side, etc.  Rounds don't "tumble" all the time - but the 855 fired from a 1/12 twist will destabilize after a couple of hundred meters then it is much less likely to remain on trajectory.  Just because a friend of a friend says a ranger says it don't make it so.

Read my post again, he's a Ranger in my gaming clan. I speak w/him every night (except for deployments). He's been to my home several times and if he's on layover in Phoenix I drop what I'm doing to visit w/him for a few precious hours. I sent him a "care package" everytime he was deployed, different APO every time. I have no reason to believe he's full of it, and as a shooter myself I can say that he knows his shiznit.

As a hardcore "gun ######" I have prodded and poked and asked him everything I could think of regarding weapon systems, combat gear, anything you can think of. In fact last nite we talked about Camel Spiders and how they can gnaw on your leg while you sleep and you don't know it. He's a real operator but we all laughed when he said that spiders scare the crap out of him...........rofl.

1/12 twist hasn't existed since the A1 (Triangle handguards) version of the M-16, that point is actually moot. 1/9 and 1/7 are what you typically see on the '16 series of weapons. In fact 1/7 twist barrels will actually cause an older 55 grain FMJ (62 grain is current weight) to shed it's jacket in flight, I've done so w/my M4 (it was a real one, tho I no longer own it). Current issue 5.56 tends to overpenetrate, thus not causing as much damage nor dumping the bullet energy into the body. A one shot stop doesn't necessarily mean a kill either. Shocking the body by dumping muzzle energy into it will stop the fight, even if it doesn't kill the bad guy.

One last thing, I have a personal friend in Texas (incarcerated now) that was shot in the leg w/an AR15. It caused such damage that half of the calf muscle had to be removed. I asked him if it dropped him and he said he had time to beat the heck (he used a different word) out of the guy who shot him. Contrary to popular belief the body will continue to function until it dies or until it shuts down either from blood loss or shock. Look at the guys who have taken 13 or so hits from a 9mm handgun while being arrested (they lived).

Regardless what Hollywood would like us to believe, there is no magic bullet.

... He's been to my home several times and if he's on layover in Phoenix I drop what I'm doing to visit w/him for a few precious hours. I sent him a "care package" everytime he was deployed, different APO every time...I

:thumbsup: That's good to hear Mate. You sound like a true friend. Now lets get this bad-boy back on topic...

I personally like the re-vamped map... would be good to see in a SF mod like Starship Troopers or Aliens as well in regular gameplay.

Far cry isnt all that far out sci-fi . 21st century people!!! we can geneticly modify any animal we want. we could prob make a dog have two heads ! or 8 legs !.

get with the times . the only reason we dont go to extremems is because its not right to do it

about this tank map... Do i have to register on the site to download it?

is it single player or just multi?

Edited by whoa182

Soroc has done a lot of changes to the map. He learned a few things w/the editor such as the sky filter color, it was too blue before. Now it's gold and the new Tank looks more like the old one. He pulled a bunch of green plants and put in dying grass and yellow elephant grass. More dead trees and more desert type trees. It's a comprehensive list so we'll keep ya'll updated. Also, in some of these shots shadows aren't drawn yet, these are just quick and dirty ones so you can see what's going on.

These are preliminary screens so you can see the changes........

From this

newriver.jpg

To this

newriver.jpg

From this

fc_right_road.jpg

To this

newroad.jpg

From this

green_spawn.jpg

To this

newgreen.jpg

Edited by ruggbutt

I'd like to be hopeful, but I have little confidence that UBI isn't going to "gamebox" or "xbox" the title. Of course, I'd love to be surprised. Harntrox's mod has been the only oasis in a very long desert of neglect from UBI on this game.

certainly not the only...

been enjoying the heck out of the 'no easy day' mod by dtd team and cocobolo, the can ops mod from baja is pretty fun, too... there's too many to list.

those screens are looking great. very nice improvements over the first shots. are there plans to mod the far cry weapon models -- particularly the stupid angle at which they're held? it would be nice if the FPWV was removed all together, to tell the truth. other than that, and some accurately detailed player models and animation (nothing beats GR's mocap/animations if ya ask me) this could turn out to be a great mod. it would take quite a lot of work though. new maps does not a mod make.

What amazes me about these shots is not just how great the FarCry maps look (obviously they would), but how well good 'ol Ghost Recon holds up by comparison.

Really would love it if RSE were to release source for the GR1 engine when GR2 hits the pan, it would be enormous fun to take it to really mod in a TC way.

My hats are off to the BSR gang and RugButt, nice work guys -- and if you'd like a professional Sound Designer/Engineer to throw in with you I'd be willing. If the mod should take a serious turn I'd could even manage all original live sample captures of virtually an weapon you model and craft for the mod.

Edited by Hoak

Soroc has done a lot of changes to the map.  He learned a few things w/the editor such as the sky filter color, it was too blue before.  Now it's gold and the new Tank looks more like the old one.  He pulled a bunch of green plants and put in dying grass and yellow elephant grass.  More dead trees and more desert type trees.

This is a really beautiful map. I only hope I can talk the guys at LAN next week into giving it a run ;)

Sounds like those improvements are a going to be great - just a little overbright in the version I downloaded. All kudos to everyone invloved in this :thumbsup:

Really there isn't an outdoor map in GR that wouldn't make the transition to Far Cry.

Great times for gamin' :yes:

yeah jack youll like it soroc continues to tweek it till its just right. And its also nice to see rugg drop mention of the mod over all. And where this whole thing is going, i will be a lot of fun.