FPWV or Original FPV, what do you prefer?

Cull

FPWV or Original FPV, what do you prefer?  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been a little creative today with PaintShopPro 7 and messed about with the original GR1 view to try and show people, who are sceptical about a FPWV being added to GR2. Take a look at these examples and tell me which one you'd prefer after seeing them...

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4db0...0b5770000001610

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4db0...9344e0000001610

...Which do you find most immersive, I myself would much prefer the FPWV but everyone to their own I know. For some reason I can't start a Poll like I was going to (what gives staff?).

After looking at my finished result in PSP7, I thought to myself it doesn't at all detract from the GR playing experience...to me it adds to it. :thumbsup:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The weapon is still shown held at an angle and in a manner that would put the round way off target. You also block part of your screen (which is restrictive enough). If at a cliff edge (or building on the roof), you would hide the character (human or AI) that was shooting at you. I prefer to see all I can in such a restrictive view.

As to starting a poll, only staff, admin consultants and supporters (fringe benefit) can start them. If you wish to have a poll, ask any staff member if they would post it and provide the exact answers you wish to have for your specific question (or you may get some really weird answers that I have been known to put up ;) ).

Excellent picture. I wish GR had that. I personally like FPWV and it doesnt bother me at all. I play RvS with FPWV on and it doesnt effect my game and it gives a good feeling with very accurate weapon models. I dont see what is the problem adding FPW in GR2, if someone doesnt like it he can turn it off. OTSv doesnt bother me either and I propably will play singleplayer with it just for the feelings.

Online most servers will propably force it to turn off if it gives advantages over first person view users.

LOL...okay Whiteknight77, thanks for the heads up but I can't see whats so offensive about FPWV, when a lot of people apart from myself prefer to see FPWV. If there's a want for it and if it's that '...much easier to do it in the PC version' (quote from Edwards interview) then make FPWV an option and keep everybody happy. :D

I'm in the same playing field as you Hostile Person and a lot of other players besides. :thumbsup:

Edited by Cull

I will give you an example of the FPWV option. RvS has it and it is an option, yet when someone wants to play MP, they are forced to use is because the server has it set to force view. That does not give someone the "option" to use or not use the view. While I know I could spend all day searching for a non-forced server, why should I if it is an option? I should be able to determine if I use it or not, when forced, I can't.

Having it even as an option would not make everyone happy.

The same goes for people who want FPWV, it's the same argument. I for one don't have any problems, along with Hostile person, when the FPWV comes to obscuring the view. I'm not saying it doesn't obscure a little but I don't find it effects my view all that much or effects my ability to play at a reasonable standard. ;)

Please read the threads about becoming a clone just because all of the other games have it. I will say it again. GR is in a class by itself. By adding things found in hundreds of other games, GR will lose it's uniqueness when adding stuff like drivable vehicles, FPWV and the like. Do you really want to play a clone of those other games? What is so unique about a FPWV that to not include it in GR2 would be detrimental to gameplay? Remember now that I have been firing weapons for 30 years and had to qualify with the M16A1 when I was in the Marines. I know what is actually seen when shooting.

I also point to my last post about having it as an option and why it would not be a good idea.

Okay Whiteknight77 I accept everything you are saying but the buck doesn't stop here, it's a big money basket out there and to get more bucks they have to come up with the goods. Times are a changing and everybody can see where FPS are going and IMHO it isn't the old and tired GR1 floating reticule view which isn't at all realistic but an ironsight would be a very welcome addition without the partial zoom feature, unless you have scope.

Edited by Cull

If games go the route of FPWV, then make it iron sights full time and not some cheesy rambo view.

BTW I haven't tired of the "floating recitule" from the R6 days. It is one reason why I have liked these games more than any other game I have either played or tried with the demo.

Okay...well thats fine for you Whiteknight77 and the many thousands that still enjoy the original FPV, I'm not saying to abolish it but make FPV, FPWV, OTS view an option so the fans of the game can choose, whats wrong with a little choice in the world? ;) but there are a lot of other people, including myself, that just play the game for the atmosphere, not for the floating unrealistic reticule view (IMO). :blink:

BTW Whiteknight77...could you turn this into a poll? it would be much appreciated.

Edited by Cull

Yeah, I can't put my finger on it exactly, but there's something about the old floating reticle that makes me feel more at home.

If this was a poll, I'd vote "original FPV". Sorry I can't really elaborate on my reasons... like you say, it's just personal preference.

Good mock-up though.

Thanks Pyro_Monty...my friend is in the same opinion as yourself and Whiteknight77 but even he didn't like the new OTS view but it has to be left in if some people want it...I'm all for choice...lol. :thumbsup:

Edited by Cull

I dont think the reticule made GR special. I would've prefered weapon view just for the atmosphere. Gun or not it doesnt change GR in my eyes. Options are always good. And for servers forcing FPWV wont be a problem since the majority wants to get kills and the gun "distracts" them so they dont want to play with it. Since I propably wont ever be able to shoot foreign weapons why wouldnt u want to give me the chance to get the "feeling" trough a game?

Edited by Hostile Person

Please read the threads about becoming a clone just because all of the other games have it. I will say it again. GR is in a class by itself. By adding things found in hundreds of other games, GR will lose it's uniqueness when adding stuff like drivable vehicles, FPWV and the like. Do you really want to play a clone of those other games? What is so unique about a FPWV that to not include it in GR2 would be detrimental to gameplay? Remember now that I have been firing weapons for 30 years and had to qualify with the M16A1 when I was in the Marines. I know what is actually seen when shooting.

I also point to my last post about having it as an option and why it would not be a good idea.

Well said WhiteKnight77. I agree FPWV games are a dime a dozen and GR doesn't need to fall into that clone barrel. :shifty:

Theres plenty of arguments about whats life like and whats not but for me it comes down to the fact that I'd rather not have a big clunky resource hogging weapon in my extremely limited field of computer screen video game view. Trying to play "real-life" within a box is bad enough, adding extra garbage to clutter it up is even worse.