The Mosque

OSO

I have some preliminary in game shots of a project I enlisted into. The name of the map is "The Mosque". I plan to have multiple lighting schemes for this map to include a dusk, day, and night version. I've got the basic framework set up so the only thing left is to add detail, work out any bugs, and optimize it.

The name of the mod is "That Others May Live" being produced by simplesuperman. We're looking for a capable mission scripter to assist in this project. If you're interested send a PM to simplesuperman and he'll fill you in on the details involved.

A big thanks to Chems for the wrecked UH-60 model for this project.

toml01.jpg

toml02.jpg

toml03.jpg

toml04.jpg

toml05.jpg

toml06.jpg

toml07.jpg

toml08.jpg

toml09.jpg

toml10.jpg

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks great! can she be available for seperate download so that we can use her with other mods?

I personally don't have a problem with that but I did agree to make this for a specific mod. Something like this needs to be cleared through the man in charge and if he's ok with it, then so am I.

If he's ok with it, I wouldn't release it for general consumption until after TOML is out for download.

Oh I'm crushed. I thought you had Chems make that crashed blackhawk for a certain rendition of a map classic Oso. Ah well, I'll keep hoping...

At any rate the ss's look great, big surprise. :D The actual Mosque itself looks impeccably well rendered acording to actual nroms of construction. Looks like this is gonna be a great mod.

Oh I'm crushed. I thought you had Chems make that crashed blackhawk for a certain rendition of a map classic Oso. Ah well, I'll keep hoping...

At any rate the ss's look great, big surprise. :D The actual Mosque itself looks impeccably well rendered acording to actual nroms of construction. Looks like this is gonna be a great mod.

Actually I had planned to use it for both. The other map is going to take a tremendous amount of work to complete. This is a desert map and they are much easier to make than an urban environment in a state of ruins. Honestly, it takes a lot of motivation to get myself geared for a remake project since I feel creatively restricted while doing it. That's why I keep putting it off for tomorrow. ;)

I did a few hours of research on mosques and some basic middle eastern architecture before starting on this. Thanks for the comments on it.

I'd like to say I would like to get some pictures of mosques here, but it's more of an issue than some people will think. But if I can get photos of the outside, plus some inscribing, words or not, I'll see what I can do, but I can't promise much.

But I would love to have that map sometime, cool stuff.

Awesome work so far buddy, you going to add a little foliage (tumbleweeds/palmtrees) maybe? just seems a little too barren. Also any more small houses/huts in the surrounding area? surely they wouldn't build a mosque on its own in the middle of the desert.Maybe a road/dirt track out front.

Maybe even a dead cow or 2 for extra realism :P just kiddin!!

Keep it up, looking good tho. :thumbsup:

Edited by BornToKill_TAW

As for the vegetation issue, don't worry about that. They're already preconstructed and its just the last thing I place on a map. ;) I find it much easier to work without all the extra clutter and overhead in max. The gentleman that requested the map sent me several images of what he wanted to see and it was pretty desolate so vegetation will be kept to a minimum.

There are 10 buildings surrounding the mosque and that should be plenty for this map. I've always had trouble making realistic looking roads/dirt tracks that don't run in a straight line so I've opted to not include one here. I've built a nice path for a helicopter insert off to one side which isn't shown in the images. I'll post more images when there is more to look at.

Actually I had planned to use it for both. The other map is going to take a tremendous amount of work to complete. This is a desert map and they are much easier to make than an urban environment in a state of ruins. Honestly, it takes a lot of motivation to get myself geared for a remake project since I feel creatively restricted while doing it. That's why I keep putting it off for tomorrow. ;)

Yeah, I see your point. If you're lacking "motivation" I could send you a dozen or so emails daily begging to complete that map. Prolly not the type of mtivation you're looking for though. :D

I've always had trouble making realistic looking roads/dirt tracks that don't run in a straight line so I've opted to not include one here.

Shouldn't be too hard to put a road in really.

What I usually do is simply go to the top-view, select the line-tool (set it to corner) and draw your road. Close the polyline.

Then extrude it without closing the top and bottom and extrude it too such an extend that the entire shape is intersecting your terrain.

Then go to boolean and select your map as operant A, use the extruded polyline as your operand B and set the method to CUT OUT.

Result will be your road cut into to terrain. Then simple detach the road-faces from the terrain and put a texture on using UNWRAP UVW.

The UVW needs tweaking to align on the texture.

If need be you can extrude the entire road to elevate or sink creating sides.

It takes a bit of time but the effort is worth it.

The UVW needs tweaking to align on the texture.

That's the part that drove me nuts. I had a nice long winding road on one of the WOI Afrika maps and ended up deleting it because I got extremely tired of redoing it over and over. It may look okay in Max, but once I got in game, it looked like dog crap. After a few days of fighting it, I had enough.

I make almost everything with splines now as opposed to primitives. I made this road a little different than you described, but it was a spline. several of the corners were bezier which was probably most of my problem. I was using the tire tracks from DS and its nearly impossible to tweak the uv's to twist and turn at the angles I was demanding.

I've also learned to really dislike the boolean operation and try to avoid using it at all costs. The extra faces and vertices that have to be cleaned up can be very counter productive. It also gets worse the more you apply it to the same mesh. If I'm going to boolean, it will be on a spline followed by an extrude modifier. It's much cleaner and less hassle in the long run.

The only thing different that I would use as opposed to the boolean is use the extruded spline as a tracing tool and cut the mesh by hand with the cut tool with vertex snaps turned on.

Yeah, I see your point. If you're lacking "motivation" I could send you a dozen or so emails daily begging to complete that map. Prolly not the type of mtivation you're looking for though. :D

You could always play Rogue Spear to satisfy your craving. :P

hmm have you tried makin a straight road with an applied texture on it then using the edit mesh modifiy on top of the stack to bend it to the required shape?

Thats the way I do it, it's very limiting in some aspects though.

Here are some progress shots. Hopefully, you will see that it isn't quite so naked now. And for those of you that demanded a road, there is one now, but it isn't in a picture.

toml11.jpg

toml12.jpg

toml13.jpg

toml14.jpg

Its time for me to start banging out the interior areas.