Ghost Recon.net Forums

1.Purchase said colours

2.Go into back yard or ventilated area

3.Shake cans really well

4.Remover working parts

5."Mask" optics

6.Spray base colour

7.Leave to dry for 24 hours

8.Stand back in amazement and admire a new weapon.......or burts into tears coz it looks more like a toy!

9.Chose 2nd colour,and repeat steps 3-7.

I painted my handguards of my M4 desert paint, but after a day, it really didn't wow me as I thought it would. I can't really paint anything else since, well, it's the Government's, not mine :)

Use the various ranges of camo tape. Allows you to easily correct fashion mistakes and stops armourers trying to kill you for screwing up 'their' gun.

The way I always camouflaged my rifles was by spraying a dark base color such black or dark green. Then I held objects up to the rifle such as leaves and sticks or twigs and sprayed over them with lighter colors such as olive drab and light green leaving the objects shape on the gun. This give depth to the camo and give it the illusion of shadows and the such. Whatever you do it to though, first rub the part of the rifle your going to spray with steel wool or heavy sand paper. This creates a rough surface on the gun and removes any gloss finish the gun has. If you don't do this, odds are, the paint will rub off or wash off. Another thing is, I would only suggest doing this if you want the gun to have a permanent camo to it. Don't worry if it looks crappy the first time. You can always paint over it. If you don't want to do that, (like me) I always practiced on something like piece of plywood or any other type of board. Don't ever use camo duct tape. The camo finish on it rubs off when it's wet and leaves a bright tanish color thats underneath. Hope this helps! :rocky: Semper Fi

What about spraying the aimpoint, would I have to cover up the dials? Obviously I would have to cover the lenses....

As long as you leave the caps on it should be fine.

You can go to any prominent hunting store and purchase paint specifically designed for weapons. Is it any better than normal latex spray... :whistle: There are also camo tapes. We just use the spray. Eventually it will wear off. The main thing to watch out for are optics, moving parts, and any parts that while not moving may have something attached to them or inserted. Specifically the last remark refers to the fact that by applying paint you are altering the measurements of a weapon in critical areas such as mounts - as in M4 rails - or areas such as mag wells. Examples of desert camo:

M4_Rail.jpg

M2.jpg

240.jpg

Mk19.jpg

That would be the wire running from the pressure pad strapped onto the foregrip, to the tac light on the side RIS.

So Hatchetforce, would it be a good idea to strip the weapon, do the RIS rails seperately etc so they don't get stuck?

McNamee, I don't know exactly how your airsoft works, but most camo patterned firearms are painted without being stripped so that the pattern matches. Laura(?) Duracoat is a great choice for actual firearms (not internal surfaces due to thickness) and bonds to almost any surface while coming in a multitude of colors and you can mix your own. Your airsoft gun though is probably plastic. In that case (and since you won't have to worry about bore solvents) I would look for a special type of Krylon that bonds to plastics (can't remember the name), but they have a several colors in the line that would allow either a desert or woodland pattern. If you want to see some custom jobs/someone who does them for money, check out http://www.chameleonweaponry.com He's a great guy that does good work and uses Duracoat exclusively. He might even give tips if you email and ask him.

I feel sorry for that M4, it looks like someone drug it behind them instead of actually carrying it.

@SC: looks indeed to be a Leupold Mk 4 CQ/T sight. Probably with some anti-reflection device mounted to the front (front of the normal sight doesn't look exactly like that)

I feel sorry for that M4, it looks like someone drug it behind them instead of actually carrying it.

Well it has been making its way around Iraq for a while, i think asthetics was the least for Hatchet Forces worries!

Ugh... I would never in a million years paint the actual metal sights of the weapon... they need to be left alone or you won't be able to aim well. the rest of the weapon however, is fair game.

That Leupold was purchased by the unit. That M4 may look beat up but it is only that, looks. Paint wears off easily. When it does it disrupts the pattern and actually improves the camo. Don't be fooled guys. That M4 is in superb operating condition. If it wasn't it would be deadlined and traded in.