RAM best suited for my system

McNamee

No expert on the Intel side of things but my 0.02c...

Looks fine - though not much objective info on it.

looks like you should be getting pc3200 DDR Ram or pc2700 at very worst.

Basically just make sure u get 2 equal sized sticks and that they are reuptable brand like Crucial, etc.

As I say go for pc3200 if u can afford - so you can clock up to 400Mhz and more if you want to tweak. This is where your speed and quality of RAM is important.

I'm sure someone else can give more info on this board.

I have 512 DDR-SDRAM already, I wish to upgrade to 1 Gig and I was wondering what would be the best type of RAM to go for.

Here is my mobo, Intel D845PESV

Your motherboard uses the Intel 845PE Chipset, so it only supports single-channel DDR333 (PC2700) and DDR266 MHz (PC2100) RAM. Note this is NOT a dual-channel RAM setup like the i865/i875P chipsets.

You need to check what kind of RAM you have in there now. If you have DDR266, then if you buy DDR333, your whole system will still run at 266MHz FSB, as the system always runs at the speed of the slowest RAM.

If for some reason your system came with DDR266, I would actually take it out and replace it with 1GB of DDR333. If you already have DDR333, then you can just buy another stick of 512MB PC2700.

It's not necessary to spend more money buying DDR400 (PC3200) RAM for your system, as it will still run at the speed of DDR333 maximum.

Now if you want to go deeper into the nitty gritty of choosing RAM, there's also the issue of getting low-latency RAM, but that depends if your motherboard's BIOS allows you to set your RAM settings (e.g. "CL2" or "2-3-2-6") etc.

How do I find out what type of RAM i have in SiSoft Sandra?

Yup, SiSoft Sandra is great to find out everything about your system. I think you can look under "Mainboard Information" and let us know what it says about what RAM you have and its timings.

The other way to know is to open your case and look at the sticker on your RAM.

If you plan on overclocking to very high levels of speed, faster memory can and will make all the differance in the world... same with the mobo.

Very true Crimson. Main prob here is Mac has an Intel mobo which is notorious for not allowing much tweaking, let alone overclocking. (Actually the new i875 "Bonanza" mobos by Intel are the first ones to let you o/c a whopping 4%)

The good news is you already have DDR333 RAM:

Bank 0 : 256MB DDR-SDRAM 2.5-3-3-7CL 1CMD

Bank 1 : 256MB DDR-SDRAM 2.5-3-3-7CL 1CMD

Speed : 2x 166MHz (332MHz data rate)

According to this link:

http://developer.intel.com/design/motherbd/sv/index.htm

You only have 2 DIMM slots and only one DIMM slot is filled up.

DIMM0 - J6G1 : Manufacturer1 PartNum1 SerNum1 AssetTagNum1 DIMM Synchronous DDR-SDRAM 512MB/64 @ 333Mt/s

DIMM1 - J6G2 : Empty

So you just have to pop in another matching 512 MB CL2.5 DDR333 PC2700 SDRAM DIMM

Just curious why you need to upgrade RAM? 512MB for most games these days is adequate (unless you play Evercrack ... er ... quest). Increasing RAM would be good for video editing, or if you are often doing a lot of multitasking.

Perhaps the extra money could go towards a better video card ...

Perhaps the extra money could go towards a better video card ...

Also a great idea. I found a gig of Kingston PC32000 (2x 512) for only $187.

With such cheap RAM, you should look at higher end video cards, or motherboards.

A SCSI drive wouldnt be bad either. ;)

Thanks guys,

My main consern is my graphics card, so if anything is upgraded on my computer then it'll be that first. I would like slightly more RAM (would be nice), but I am not upgrading that for definate yet.

You've been a great help, cheers :thumbsup: