PC Gamer Preview

uZeal

And AGAIN!, Ubi seems to be following the same path of stupidity. Crappy games, 8 billion patches and nothing gets fixed.

All this talk about How great GR1 is makes me ask....If you're in the most bitchin boat ever made or sailed...why pull the hulls plug to scuttle the thing? Does Ubisoft have any real business minded people in the business department? If they make GR2 better but based on what we've come to love, they will make the $$$. My guess is...Osama Bin Laden must be in charge at ubisoft, terrorising our beloved game.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that it's hitting the consoles first tells you where UBI is leaning. Dumbed down and at the kiddies. They didn't learn after the 1.3 limp and the sensor debacle, and I doubt they'll learn now. The brilliant marketing execs at UBI (or RSE) should have known that by ignoring the PC gamers that this would happen. Frankly, I believe they turned their backs on us and that all we're gonna get is SOCOM2.

No game lasts 3 years and is as popular as GR if it's not exciting. Now they state that they've made the game exciting? I was gonna give RSE the benefit of the doubt but now they've gotta prove me wrong w/some PC info or screens. The game is being written on the PC platform, but they tell us that there is no PC demo available to film for us? Gimme a break.

Edited by ruggbutt

I have been a long time player and I have always read what yall have put in the forums.. All I can do is hope that RSE/UBi havent left us for dead. We were the ones that made the game a hit. I dont know just a thought.... If the mods keep comeing maybe we wont hafto buy anymore games and we all could contribute to the new GR1?

Just my .02 cents:

Okay, we all sit here and gripe, and complain big time. But does it help? I think Ubi is going to do whatever they want. Apparently, they have decided on their paths already, and nothing is going to change it. If you read Edwards' commnents about the XBox and the PC versions, it sounds as if Ubi originally developed GR2 for the XBox. And will be porting it to the PC. So I think they've gone and turned their backs on us PC gamers who have made GR a great game. So I say supply and demand. If there's no demand, there's no supply.

On the flip side, maybe we shouldn't judge a book by its cover.

Toaster.

P.S. Anyone heard of "Full Spectrum Warrior"? Is it any good?

P.S. Anyone heard of "Full Spectrum Warrior"? Is it any good?

yeah... and definitely on my radar. although it's a tactical squad sim, not a tactical shooter, it looks wicked cool.

check the trailers at www.fullspectrumwarrior.com

Actually there is quite a lot to suggest that GR2 will be strong on the arcade features...  Were you at E3?  Have you seen the videos? Have you paid any attention to the statements RSE reps have made about the game? 

No, look, what we've heard and seen are a number of features which could potentially be implemented in an 'arcade' fashion, but with no confirmation that that will be the case. Weapon retrieval, medic functions, 'over-the-shoulder' view... all of these could be implemented in a number of ways and, to be fair, we currently have no idea which of these ways has been decided (this goes for PC and indeed X-Box).

It goes without saying that the E3 videos mean nothing, seeing as, A) the videos are simply a fast way of exhibiting new features to new fans and, thus, must be eye-catching (remember, this is a game trying to compete with such titles as Doom III, Half Life II and HALO II - GR isn't even in the same league as those games); and B) the demonstration was played through with a number of cheats activated and possibly, for all we know, with increased run speeds.

People seem to be jumping to the conclusion that weapon collection is going to mean picking up additional - rather than replacement - weapons (not realising that picking up friendly and opponent weapons is what Special Forces do); that medic functions mean you or your teammates will never die (not realising that medics do in fact play a vital role on the battlefield); and that the 'OTS' view means we'll get to see around corners (again, not realising that the traditional first person view through a single monitor offers a highly unrealistic tunneled view).

Call me an RSE fanboy... but I have more faith in them than to assume they will mess it up. And until I see some video showing the OTS view being used to look around corners... a character carrying 35 weapons... or someone getting shot dead then fully recovered by a medic... I'm going to maintain that faith.

People seem to be jumping to the conclusion that weapon collection is going to mean picking up additional - rather than replacement - weapons (not realising that picking up friendly and opponent weapons is what Special Forces do

funny, because when gr1 came out and some people complained about their inability to gather weapons, i always read things like "no sf would do that" "highly unrealistic" etc. now, that it's possible to pick up weapons in gr2, it seems, that everything has turned around? i am nor ever was a sf operative, so i cannot really know whether or whether not they do pick up weapons on the battlefield irl (at least from the enemy).

but i assume, that it's quite risky to pick up a weapon, of which you do not know how and if it was properly maintained. picking up a fallen mates weapon (whos as well trained as anybody else on the team) is one thing, but picking up some enemys ak is another.

p.s.: again: i have no first hand knowledge. perhaps someone with that knowledge could say a few words....

They call them options cuz they're "optional", ya don't have to use any of them. You can play in FPV, not heal anyone, not use OTS, not pick up any weapons, if you want, that's your choice. As far as picking up weapons, I read where GI's in Iraq were picking up AK47s cuz they wanted some extra firepower.

they pic up wepons on battlefield so they arnt picked up buy other enemy soldiers to be used again and so children dont pick them up and become targets ;)

I dont think there is anything you's nor RSE,UBI,or any other person can say to make the true "Ghost Recon" fans want to have or use that 3rd person view... stop calling it over the shoulder.. i myself could care less about seeing my soldiers uniform or gun wile im playing if i want to see them ill turn and look at my team mates, also the fact that they call it ghost recon is to funny ,i didnt see any stealth, what i did see is run and gun.

GR1 was one of a kind, and its a shame to see the makers of that thing called GR2 are going to make it just like every other game on the market such as.... medics, and picking up wepons.... seen it, its called americas army, the year it takes place in hmm 2014 with so called " future guns " not science fiction, well if there not developed yet dont that make them science fiction?? ..

seems to me that RSE knows they have some unhappy gamers and are trying real hard to push this game by twisting up some of the features like calling 3rd person view over the shoulder, or like the guns that they call future guns and not to forget they said it was a whole new grafix engine when its not, its the same gr1 engine with some upgrades,all that might work on the kiddies that play xbox but im not falling for it.

i am sure it will be a fun game for thoughs few who have gotten bord of gr1 with the coutless mods out i dont see how you could, anywho i will not be dishing out $50 for GR2, in my peronal oppinion RSE could of made more money on making another exspansion pac for GR1..

And until I see some video showing the OTS view being used to look around corners... a character carrying 35 weapons... or someone getting shot dead then fully recovered by a medic... I'm going to maintain that faith.

You should watch the videos again, there are clearly moments where the character is hidden behind a wall but can see things that you wouldn't be able to see in FPV. I think also someone posted such a screenshot capture from the video somewhere in the official forums.

About the weapons is true...

Have you seen the medic feature in the demo video? The dude got shot in the leg and was recovered after a few second by the medic.... a bit stupid no?

These are just some things i thought off while reading your post... not trying to be hostile or anything.... I also don't want to jump to negative conclusions after seeing all these things and reading interviews and such. I honestly want to wait for that till the retail is here but there are reasons to be upset and 'scared' if you can call it that... imo.

EDIT

and i just hope that in a while we can all enjoy GR2 with as much joy as GR1 :thumbsup:

Edited by Zoog

:wacko: I have to agree. All the reasons that had me put off playing console games appear to be in GR2. I don't mind new or innovative interfaces to interact with weapons or maps, but this looks more like a BF:1942 or MOH:frontline on the Xbox. Great games, fun games, but it isn't GR!

if its nothing like GR1,with some kool new realistic features,like the ride in vehicles,two teams driving their humvees their self. to,or out of their operation area,operation of the mini guns on the blackhawks,jumping into a bradley that has come to the rescue with its guns ablaze.more of this.not change the game completely.as far as i'm concernded if its not like the concept of GR1 with more realistic enhancements,and upgrades to make the original game better,i'm not going to buy it.ubi has left us on the battle field to die,no support!anybody with common sense could see that they could make alot money,if they would do more stuff like they did with IT,DS,new maps,and campaigns,enhanced grafics,ect,ect.if you ask me GR2 is for kids,silly rabbit!(ubi,rse) <_<

Edited by gulf01

That pc zone interview realy has put me off badly.

the way that off the shoulder view seemd to be fixed?? I thought it was an option .. christ I realy do hope so on pc :

"Is that something you'll change for the PC version?

Edwards: Well, potentially. Right now there's no real plan to do it, but then it's much easier to do it in the PC version."

No real plan to do it .... sort it out mate! :angry: - easier on the pc .. good - run along and sort it then, theres a good developer chap :huh:

"like with a first-person weapon view you have to remodel the weapon and create a totally new set of animations, and we have some limitations with the Xbox" - so make it for pc fist then scale down! :o

"Ghost Recon was pretty much all AI. This time we're doing a lot more scripted stuff. This is allowing us to be far more emotion into this game than in the original. Whereas I might call Ghost Recon more of a sandbox type of game where players were left to figure everything out, the sequel is more fine-tuned for the player experience. There are bottlenecks in place to ensure that the players see the things we want them to see."

- GR more sandbox type of game - yes it was left to work out .. good, - fune-tuned for the players experience ... ummm that says to me - dumbed down for kids who are "2 fik 2 werk it owt wiv finkin." :unsure:

For Christ sake is the world just getting more thick? I guess UBI wallets are ... hmmm .... I try so hard to hold back but this ###### me off ..... :angry:

Although I still hold out for PC details :D

Edited by calius

I read the PC gamer article(US PC gamer) and I'm not happy. Dan Morris is a GR player and voted GR for game of the year, and if he said that GR2 is not as good as GR1, I'll belive him. The only thing that keep my hopes up is that the multiplayer part have not been tested(or develop I think) and I hope UBI do the rigth thing and tweek the PC multiplayer part. Who want to play a FPS multiplayer on 3rd person view?????. Another thing is that most of the reviews out there are from the XBox version and all say that is a fairly good game, the problem I got with that is that many times when a game have been ported from XBox to PC the controls suck, big time. But also there are 2 games that were done for XBox first and later on PC and many magazines said that the PC version was better than the XBox version, Splinter Cell and Halo. I hope UBI learn from that (Splinter Cell is from UBI but a different developer than GR2) So I will keep my fingers cross

Edited by [30+]Retlaw

ACk well we got one good game out of umm what more can we want. I have learnt to accept second time roung not much good, Deus Ex, Matrix 2 and 3, my cats second life etc....etc....

The sad part is that with all the processor power available to gamers and the new video cards that will be on the market before the game. Ubi could have made GR2 for pc an awesome game, but no, they decided to cater the console people. I got an e-mail from UBI the other day telling all the games they got for sale an a link to their store, I send a reply to them saying" After the masacre you guys are doing to GR2 I wont buy anything Ubi ever again!!!!!!!!!!!. ", LOL

Dan Morris is a GR player and voted GR for game of the year, and if he said that GR2 is not as good as GR1, I'll belive him.

What about our very own hardcore GR fans who have seen exactly what Dan Morris saw - an imcomplete X-Box demonstration version at E3? Anubis is a GR player and I'm pretty sure he would vote GR as GoTY, but hey, he said he liked the look of what he saw of GR2.

Dan Morris lost a lot of his credibility by claiming to have played a PC demo version of the game - a claim which has been proven untrue by Ubi.

Personally, I believe [RS]Blaze, JT_Snowman, WOLFAnubis, Dick Splash, and all the other fans who saw just the same thing as Mr. Morris, but who at least told it like it was, instead of misusing credentials to add weight to a personal bias.

So...forget GR2.

I have a better game.

..like guessing how many Gb of forum thread data do you think we can generate by having a pointless circular debate about a game that isnt even going to see the light of day for another 6 months?

I think that is a great game in the making.

My guess is 1 gazillion gig of raw data.

All of it repetitive and utterly pointless.

:whistle:

So...forget GR2.

I have a better game.

..like guessing how many Gb of forum thread data do you think we can generate by having a pointless circular debate about a game that isnt even going to see the light of day for another 6 months?

I think that is a great game in the making.

My guess is 1 gazillion gig of raw data.

All of it repetitive and utterly pointless.

:whistle:

Well said. :thumbsup: The circular discussions going on in these threads is good only for its amusing content.

Yes it will have OTS - but it's not 3rd person (we have invented a new name for 3rd person - so that those ill-mannered PC users play it) - it will indeed be out on XBox and Sony corporate station first, with C64 and Vic20 ports to follow.

Once the dev team have had time to write the extra code required to maximise it's potential on those platforms.

There are unconfirmed reports of a possible release on PC, though only for the Windows 3.1 market...squeezing everything out of that 640k extended memory...those luck people.

By the time that version comes out however, the game will be over as we will have announced the answer to the guess.

RRP £129.99

or available on Kazaa for hee-haw of course.

(but you won't get your FREE sew on "Guessthefilesize" badge, and strategy guide (containing the answer to the question)...so pay up!)

No where in the article did Dan Morris state that he played the PC version actually. Please Find the quote because I didnt see it the few times I read it. He didnt lose credibility he gained it. Bullet Tooth to me, posted a horrible reply claiming that he trashed gr2 when in fact he said the game would be fun just not to the calibur of the sequel to the GOTY.

Edited by uZeal

He never said he Play the PC version, Thats a rumor one of the UBI designers started and later apologized for it(go to the UBI official site and see for your self). All he said was that GR2, is not the same game as GR1. He also said that the game look fun, but is not the sequel we all been waiting for. The game has been consolarized to the point that you can only control 1 guy thru the hole single player missions. No more jumping from squad to squad to position your soldiers, heck is only going to be 1 squad. The 3rd person view is in, so I don't know how they are going to implement that on multiplayer. I really don't care about single player part of the game, cus I have never finish any of the games(GR,DSand IT) I only play Multiplayer with my clan on TCZ. I really hope they bring the great Multiplayer experience we have back. I been playing this game since it came out and don't play anything else regularily, like I play GR(every single day, you can ask my wife,LOL)

The conversations here are not pointless, trust me. Many UBI/RSE peps go around reading, they want to know what we are thinking. They even ask in forums what people want to see. Maybe they don't take in consideration what we think, but they know what we think.