Bye Bye Stealth

I think the gameplay demonstrated at E3 is only one way that the game -could- be played. Most people walking by a GR display wouldn't be so so interested in seeing a soldier sneaking around, avoiding enemies (though I don't know what Splinter Cell's display looked like when they were rolling that out...). Potential buyers want to see shooting and action, not have to figure out if it's the next installment of the "Thief" franchise.

From watching all the game play footage it looks like it non stop action and no stealth...but hey who gives a damn i dont want to go back to the same gameplay as gr1.. we got a socom here even BETTER

Actually, I always thought SOCOM was a great idea with poor exectution. I think its very easy to stay hidden (stealth) in SOCOM. The problem with SOCOM is the shootouts(run n gun, arcade play) and the graphics absolutly suck (foilage sucks and very limited hiding spots). I always thought that if Ubi, specificly (even before hearing that there was going to be a GR2) , took the SOCOM concept and integrated it with their GR game, that they would surely capitalize on the great idea Zipper had. SOCOM is just a straight arcade game. In SOCOM its better to be running and shooting than it is to sit still and take aim. Just because a game is 3rd person doesnt mean it has to be arcadish. I think RSE knows exactly what their doing and I believe this game will bring a HUGE following. SOCOM has a huge following because it IS a GREAT IDEA, thats it! I wouldnt say SOCOM sucks, more like it doesnt come close to its potential. I think this game will really surprise some of you skeptics and turn alot of heads if done right. I'm an Xbox player so I cant really speak too much for you PC guys. I know there are going to be some of you that just wont like the game, but I'm willing to bet that alot of you skeptics will find this concept (if done right) pretty cool. Remember, there is always the option to only play in 1st person. I know some of you are mad because "its getting ported from the Xbox to PC". While that is a legitimate concern, I think that you're making a bigger deal out of it than it really is. All that matters is that the game is fun. I'm sure Ubi will take care of, at least, most of your concerns. Just give it a chance.

Edited by jammo

Like I said, Im not a PC player. Although I do know that RS3 came out on PC before it came out for consolel. The same cant be said here. I hate the reticle on RS3 for Xbox, so I do see your point in that perspective. Its a learning process, hopefully, Ubi will get it right the second time around for you guys.

Like I said, Im not a PC player. Although I do know that RS3 came out on PC before it came out for consolel. The same cant be said here. I hate the reticle on RS3 for Xbox, so I do see your point in that perspective. Its a learning process, hopefully, Ubi will get it right the second time around for you guys.

you have seen an unfinished part of ONE mission (plus: the player used cheats.) . It's not a good idea to say that all missions will be like this.

It's also not reasonable to think the other missions would be all that different.

What impression would you have had of GR if you based it on only seeing mission 10 where you had to protect the tanks. You would see a player running to stay abreast of the tanks and engaging the enemy. The comments would be: What a crappy run and gun game, no stealth, all scripted, totally linear, forget this game.

I like the comments about GR2 going to be too linear and then they say, I'll wait for HL 2 or Doom 3, now there's some non linear games for ya. :rofl:

To many people jumping to conclusions.

Its just a game!

By the looks of the majority of the replies on this forum, all you people act like you didn't want a damn thing changed for GR2 except for the name. Well you people can continue playin GR1, and deal with it. All this talk about stealth being gone..... someone please show me where there was one example of a stealth mission in GR1 that wasn't a third party modification. There isn't a single stock stealth mission that came with the stealth principle in mind.

Hell, most people didn't even know what a stealth mission was until Alpha Squad started doin their Stealth Recon Tournaments.

I'm sure once the game is released and the SDK is announced, stealth missions will be rolling out one by one.

Some of you are burning bridges before they are made. :thumbsup:

cheese and rice. Patience is a virtue.

To many people jumping to conclusions.

Its just a game!

By the looks of the majority of the replies on this forum, all you people act like you didn't want a damn thing changed for GR2 except for the name. Well you people can continue playin GR1, and deal with it. All this talk about stealth being gone..... someone please show me where there was one example of a stealth mission in GR1 that wasn't a third party modification. There isn't a single stock stealth mission that came with the stealth principle in mind.

Hell, most people didn't even know what a stealth mission was until Alpha Squad started doin their Stealth Recon Tournaments.

I'm sure once the game is released and the SDK is announced, stealth missions will be rolling out one by one.

Some of you are burning bridges before they are made. :thumbsup:

cheese and rice. Patience is a virtue.

i agree that people are jumping ahead but i never played alpha squad mission and there seemed to be stealth when i played the default mission..it might just be cause i sneak around alot and use alot of sd guns.I also dont think they will use a SDK..more like igor2

• 2 weeks later...

:nono: Maybe you should before you comment on those who do....wouldn't you think...hawk

The stock missions: you didn't need to play them in a stealth fashion. Most players don't like it.

How many of you have gone the stealth route on the last missions for Postcards?

It's almost always easier to blow the hell out of the tangoes than to sneak around the them....

I rarely played the SP missions in a run-n-gun fashion. Too many casualties that way. I much prefer to set up the rest of the squad in a cover formation, and take out the enemy with a sniper at range.

What worries me is the 3rd person view...not for the MP disadvantages, but because I personally can't stand it. Soldner uses it, and I thought that demo was atrocious. Fortunately, that appears to be an "Optional" feature (One that I will opt NOT to use).

When I see Devs and Publishers talking about getting closer to the console versions do I worry? Absolutely. When I hear catch phrases like, "Broader market appeal", what do I think? "Dumbed Down". Unfortunately, history tends to support my assumption.

On the other hand, RSE has yet to put out a crap game. The same cannot be said of UBI. Since GR2 is a RSE project, I have higher hopes for the end product than I would if UBI was staying "In House" on it.

Can there be action and stealth? Absolutely!! Can RSE pull it off? Absolutely!!

Will they?

We'll see, won't we.

Caine

What impression would you have had of GR if you based it on only seeing mission 10 where you had to protect the tanks. You would see a player running to stay abreast of the tanks and engaging the enemy. The comments would be: What a crappy run and gun game, no stealth, all scripted, totally linear, forget this game.

I like the comments about GR2 going to be too linear and then they say, I'll wait for HL 2 or Doom 3, now there's some non linear games for ya. :rofl:

The E3 video showed very linear.

First take out the AAMG's, then destroy the incoming chopper... then wait for the useless SAS. One their member gets killed so u are ordered to take out the sniper. Then u are ordered to attack the HQ and notified of the incoming infantry truck. Then u are ordered to destroy the aircraft. Is that linear? Go figure.

I agree, that is linear and it would be acceptable for 1 mission, but, you're right, it's not GR. GR is doing whatever you want, however you want, as long as the job gets done. Scripted events can be incorporated, but they should not consume the game or it becomes COD.

What is the replayability of games like MOH, COD, etc as opposed to GR. We have to keep making this point until the PC game goes gold, if we do, then at least we have done all that we could to make it what we wanted.

Maybe that's myopic, but, it's all I can offer.

Ill be honest..I am a little worried...but as was stated..what has been shown so far..is basically a commercial..to show off the game...its hard to show off...crawling for 20 minutes to get into position.

The beauty of GR1 for me and my lan buddies was always the long periods of gut wrenching..."were are they" interupted by intense firefights.

There is nothing better than being shot at..and living to tell about it.

HACK

Ill be honest..I am a little worried...but as was stated..what has been shown so far..is basically a commercial..to show off the game...its hard to show off...crawling for 20 minutes to get into position.

The beauty of GR1 for me and my lan buddies was always the long periods of gut wrenching..."were are they" interupted by intense firefights.

There is nothing better than being shot at..and living to tell about it.

HACK

I guess hardcore GR fans would've preferd a slowpaced crawling video over that :D