The dawn of a new game...VBS1

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aus_Vipers Latest mission for VBS1 has been uploaded, this mission is in SP/Mp and involves some Blackhawks, Delta Force and some local Militia's :ph34r: ...... now waiting on mission No 5... ;) , which INT reports as being in production..... Damn he works quickly. Good work to Dekela and Viper- getting a lot of downloads for their missions. :clapping:

God forbid if Dek's and Vipes co-ordinate a mission together no one will finish it... :wall:

It's amazing what reading a thread will teach you. :lol: ? Maybe I'll find some way to make the money before [OFP: DR] comes out...

Why is it the US can't use the marine pack, but any other country can?

Edited by sup

It's amazing what reading a thread will teach you. :lol: ? Maybe I'll find some way to make the money before [OFP: DR] comes out...

Why is it the US can't use the marine pack, but any other country can?

Because CTCorp says so. No offense to any CTCorp reps present, but said company really does have too much wind in its sales.

Just me or everytime I go looking for this thread it's moved? :blink:

@ Sup... Yeah weird one, the area where they'd get most sales from Public for the USMC Pack and they decline to offer it. But hypothetically say they did release the BIA Marine pack, and it was hypothetically cheaper than the pack that Coalescent make for the USMC with much the same capabilties or more, wouldn't the USMC want a slice of that version. Just thinking to myself out loud :rolleyes:

Just trying to get a little more feedback here: What do my fellow VBS1 players think about being able to carry 14 items, rather than 10? Nyles and I have been having a very good (and thought provoking) conversation on the VBS forums today. What does everyone else think about the idea?

Just trying to get a little more feedback here: What do my fellow VBS1 players think about being able to carry 14 items, rather than 10? Nyles and I have been having a very good (and thought provoking) conversation on the VBS forums today. What does everyone else think about the idea?

Yeah saw that mate, well for realism sake it would be good....i.e. instead of 4 mags standard you can max it up to 6-12 mags and still carry 8 mags or so 40MM Nades. Which is quite normal, Reg inf carry less generally- again dependent on mission, but have noted that the current allotment is not enough in terms of realism in some area's again dependent on type of mission, terrain etc....

In short yes it would be a good idea, but again have to strike a balance, the new sytem would be good for AT guys as most of the BLUFOR AT takes up 4 Wep slots and leaves only 4 slots for ammo- mags/ nades... your system would alleviate that problem.

Yeah I was reading that discussion too. I think it could probably be increased slightly without upsetting the balance too much. I wouldn't like to see it taken too far though as some missions get a lot of their depth by forcing the player to use a little lateral thinking when, for example, there is more enemy armour than available AT weaponry (Desert Ambush anyone). I guess the scripter will still have ultimate control over what is available to players anyway.

Jack :rocky:

Just finished Vipers new mission 'Permission Granted' in SP. That was really awesome mate - my pulse is still racing :o= ....and we survived without a reload :rocky:

Can't wait to try this one again in MP :yes:

@ Jack: With 14 slots available rather than 10, I don't see too much room to take an unfair advantage. :) It is rather nice to have 13 mags and a grenade handy though. :) As I see it, having those few extra mags would give grenadiers the opportunity to carry 7 mags, 5 grenades, and a couple of smoke grenades. That's a good mix of ammo, rather than being stuck with very little to go on. I know that if I were going out with just a few of my mates, I'd sure as heck want more than 3 mags a few grenades. I'd be the guy toting 15 mags, 5 grenades, thermite, flashbang, and two pistols.

so this is where you guys have all been ....

i have read a lot about this sim

i got a question !

one thing i havent seen about the engine:

are the environments destructable (as in everything), deformable(damage is based on kinetic energy), and granular(polys break somewhat random)?

imo, i think VBS1 is effectively a beta for [OFP: DR]. thanks to Ubi/RSE's love of 12 yr olds with xboxes i think [OFP: DR] mite be what I am really looking forward to nowadays. just the idea that the guts of VBS are going into it and its going to be more even more polished is insanely encouraging.

yes enviro, buildings, vcl's etc are destructable, on varying levels.

there is definately kinetic energy involved, just ask some of the peeps who snipe with the 7.62 rounds. you can hit at distance but it will cause a wound instead of a kill, unless it's the .50, and bullet drop etc is built in.

and i may be corrected, but vbs IS NOT a beta for [OFP: DR]. different engine, graphics blah blah blah. vbs is a stand alone prog, loosely based on OFP. and as stated earlier, it's a military trainning device, before it's a game. OFP is a game before it's a military trainning aid. many people may hate it cause it's too hard or whatever, but hey, IT'S NOT A GAME. although many user's are creating add-ons and missions to improve the GAMING experience

cheers......

so this is where you guys have all been ....

i have read a lot about this sim

i got a question !

one thing i havent seen about the engine:

are the environments destructable (as in everything), deformable(damage is based on kinetic energy), and granular(polys break somewhat random)?

imo, i think VBS1 is effectively a beta for [OFP: DR]. thanks to Ubi/RSE's love of 12 yr olds with xboxes i think [OFP: DR] mite be what I am really looking forward to nowadays. just the idea that the guts of VBS are going into it and its going to be more even more polished is insanely encouraging.

Destructable environments: Almost everything can be destroyed in some fashion.

Deformable: If it's broke, it's broke

Granular: Depending on the destruction type, the object may 'deform', or it may collapse and fall over.

---

In general, I think that destruction of objects in VBS1 is adequate, especially for vehicles. Wheeled vehicles will become very hard to control with one or more flat tires, and, depending on where the flat tire is, the vehicle may not turn a particular direction, or may even only go in circles. :) As with every game, there are things I'd like to see changed, but, overall, I think it's the best game for the type of gameplay I like.

Just me or everytime I go looking for this thread it's moved? :blink:

It has....

I know that if I were going out with just a few of my mates, I'd sure as heck want more than 3 mags a few grenades. I'd be the guy toting 15 mags, 5 grenades, thermite, flashbang, and two pistols.

And flat on the floor when you topple over from the weight....

Principle's fine though....

and i may be corrected, but vbs IS NOT a beta for [OFP: DR]

i said 'effectively', that is, in the same way that OFP was a precursor for VBS

a vast number of the engine features (good and bad) are defintely a carry over from OFP, so, since the developers are across the hallway in the same building and on the same payroll at Bohemia Interactive Studios, I would assume theres gonna be some code shared. and assets too - hopefully a DVD's worth :)

I think its only really a matter of how much, how soon. And how could they lose if they market it as containing a part of the guts of a real miltary sim? Seems like a win-win situation for the studio and us fans of tac-sims.

here's some pics from saturday night's game's.

here is a shot of me looking for a group of spetsnaz. gordo is of to my right out of view nailing a sniper.

this is gordo with an SVD that was kindly donated by the OPFOR sniper he just shot.

here is the aftermath of our first contact for the mission, many dead badies.

gordo seen here giving these spetsnaz the "dont argue" treatment. poor ######'s never knew what hit them.

our poor LRPV driver after being WIA seen here

from an earlier mission we have a shot here of an RPG hit to a T72, and the ceramonial blowing up of the UAZ here

cheers......

Didn't happen to get a screenie of me capping you when I was playin' as a skinny did ya? :whistle:

Guess you died before you got a chance :lol:

Somehow I think I might regret being so cheeky, sometime soon..... :unsure:

Didn't happen to get a screenie of me capping you when I was playin' as a skinny did ya? :whistle:

Guess you died before you got a chance :lol:

Somehow I think I might regret being so cheeky, sometime soon..... :unsure:

nah, didn't get any from that mission, i kept dying too quick :(

did get one of you just before gordo plastered me noodle with the dragunov though

cheers......

Had a fun time with Gordo on the Black Market this morning. We didn't get to finish the mission, but had great fun along the way. :) Took out some baddies, blew up a tank, and then, acting as sniper/spotter, we took out two mechanized patrols at ranges from 200 to 500 m. I got a couple nice shots of Gordo in action, as well as a bit of our handy work after the fact. Screenshots to follow this afternoon when I return from my exam, which is about 5 hours hence. Wish me luck. :)