The dawn of a new game...VBS1

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Mike Welcome back and yeah you've been missing out on all the fun..... Javelin missiles, RPG's going astray and Snipers popping out of unexpected locations....

More Screenies from Tonights Episodes...

Exiting out back of J model Herc

Para's..

Snow and Basil on patrol- Delta this time- Note MINI Guns on UH-1Y..

Close Up Shot

Snowfella and his weapon of Choice...

UH-1Y Going Ballistic with Mini Guns

Air support..

Sighting Convoy through Elcan Sight..

Edited by Gordo_Viper

Can someone explain the squad command system. It says you can control up to 11 men in your squad. By menu or command map. Can you give orders to an individual man or just the squad as a whole. Are you restricted to giving orders to this 1 squad. What are the orders you can give?

Can you combine elements of the squad to form teams and order them independently? Can you layer orders? Can you order your squad to "go to" and specify where and the ROE?

What about other Allied squads, what control do you have over them or do you set waypoints in the editor? Once in game, what control do you have over them.

I take it that you play as 1 character like OFP and if you die, the mission is over?

My impression is that the sim is basically an editor and you have to build your missions yourself. What is the accompanying documentation like?

The commans system is pretty extensive in VBS, I'd say it's identical to Op Flashpoint but as I haven't played much flashpoint I can't be sure.

You can pretty much choose if you want to order the whole squad, just order a single soldier or set bunch a couple of soldiers of your choice into a new fireteam. And you have plenty of orders awailable to give them too, best thing I know is to set up an ambush by first telling everyone to hold fire and go prone...then assign different targets to each individual soldier...once that's done just wait untill your targets are in the open and give the fire command. :o=

squads other than your own are generally scripted, either to follow waypoints through triggers...or to be called in as backup through the use of a radio. with alittle scripting you can even call in airsupport and task artillery strikes.

I think I can provide a little more depth for you, Kurtz. :)

There are several ways to select/command your troops.

1 - You can select them via the F1 - F12 keys, and give orders

2 - You can select the entire squad at once, via a key that you define

3 - You can click and drag over your screen, and order any soliers that fell within the range of your mouse drag

4 - You can select the members you want, open up the map, and then click on the map where you want them to go

5 - Once you select the men you want to command, you can organize them into fireteams, and then give those fireteams orders. Once you organize them onto fireteams, you give basic orders, and then the highest ranking soldier on that fireteam dispenses your orders to his team.

VBS1's command system is identical to OFP's command system. It's the stuff that goes on behind the scenes, such as new scripting commands and the AAR/Observer modules that make it shine.

One of my favorite new scripting commands is the SetFriend command. It allows you to redefine a soldier's (or a group) friendliness toward a particular side, based on whatever you want. With this, it's easy to set up a SF-type mission, where you have to go in and befriend indigenous forces. Using the SetFriend command, the mission designer can make the indigenous forces more or less receptive to the player's actions as the designer sees fit. :thumbsup:

---

Orders you can give: If you can think of it, you can probably give the order. For example: Say I've got my squad divided into three fireteams: Red, Blue, and Green, I may give them orders something like this:

Red Team: Move to 226276, stay alert, scan the horizon. Upon arrival, watch 12:00 (North). Hold fire and keep low. (Hold fire means they only fire when fired upon)

Blue Team: Flank left, move 150 meters Northeast, watch 3:00. Fire at will.

Green Team: (opens map and selects location) Move to house, one o-clock. Hold fire. Watch 7:00.

---

You can order your men to engage the enemy at will, or you can have your team hold fire and only engage particular targets at your command. This is obviouly useful for ambushes. Order your AI into and out of vehicles, have them pick up/drop/swap ammo and weaponry, plant demo charges, support other units, ie, sending a medic to help a nearby squad, etc. In general, the AI is very smart, and if you leave them to their own and set their skill to about 50% or higher, they'll start doing suppressive fire/flanking maneuvers. They do this so much better than in Ghost Recon, mostly because they AI in VBS1 really know how to pour it on.

---

If you don't feel like leading, you can play (if the designer has allowed it) as a member of the squad, and then the AI leader will issue you orders. I like to do this alot, because sometimes I just want to grab my M24 or my M4 and do some social work. :)

Are the menus onscreen and cascading or are they all hot keys? Can you order "go to" on the map and/or "go to" a map co-ordinate? Are the order menus separated by task, ie, movement, engagement, action, etc

How do you set up MP? By direct IP?

From Last Nights Game..Dekela and I against Desert Ambush Mission- and finished it... :o Those that have played it realise what we where up against..

Some quick Pics...We were too busy to take Pics during battle...

Aftermath of Sniper Fire..

Counting out the Section we just took out...

An Idea of workload..

@ Gordo:  I'll get the M82 done one day this week, I hope.  The Rangers are done, and I'm only lacking the M82 before I can package up the weapons addon, and send them off.  :)

Cool sounds good..... loking forward to it..

@Mike Teamspeak Server doesn't like me much at all for some reason..probably look dor a dedi server for our groups TS needs..

Edited by Gordo_Viper

I take it that you play as 1 character like OFP and if you die, the mission is over?

My impression is that the sim is basically an editor and you have to build your missions yourself. What is the accompanying documentation like?

True on first point in SP... in Mp you can set up resapwn if you want to or indeed if your playing lone warrior or with another and have AI slots vacant you can transfer to them when killed- but generally most MP and SP are set up to be once your killed game all over.

Core comes with Basic missions SP and MP- there arew quite a few mission about the place... and more on the way. Members with VBS from this site have quite a few missions made and in Para's case add ons made or on the way.

Be aware if you don't have all packs or majority esp ADF Pack and the Terrain Packs you will be limited in amount of user made missions you can use as most missions already made use additional add ons besides the core Pack... and most use multiple add ons...

Accompnaying documentationis on PDF file- no way the manual would fit in the case anyway....About 140+ pages A4... details interface, add ons, units, Mission editor, Scenario making and advanced Scenario making....

And Online support is in a word the most comprehensive avialable- VSB resources site has all devs present and actively paritipating in Bug reporting, Mission design and further advancement for the product....i.e. you don't get ignored. I think evertone that uses VBS here will attest to that point.

Edited by Gordo_Viper

And Online support is in a word the most comprehensive avialable- VSB resources site has all devs present and actively paritipating in Bug reporting, Mission design and further advancement for the product....i.e. you don't get ignored. I think evertone that uses VBS here will attest to that point.

Yep. I speak with Seventh, the lead developer, once a week or so. He even helped me go over the beta of my Rangers addon, to make sure there weren't any glaring bugs. He and the other VBS1 devs are online alot, and they're friendly and helpful.

Next time you talk to him tell them BIA is missing out on a lot of American dollars just because of one stupid company.

Dissapointing but not much BIA can do about that... BIS may be able to, but then there's Lawyers, contracts etc.

Sucks you lads can't get it yet... but in time you will. Apparently this month.....

I'm sure BIA would if they could... but since VBS/ VBS1 is used by US DOD then the contractor has to be a US based company, unless it's under Special Ops Command- they have latitude to buy any system regardless.

Next time you talk to him tell them BIA is missing out on a lot of American dollars just because of one stupid company.

I'm sure he knows. I've been told that Coalescent has already lost their deal once, and they may lose it again. Coalescent makes it look like they developed VBS1. I think that Coalescent probably wants to keep the software in the big-bucks arena; the charge $3500 per person to teach people how to use the in-game editor, and if they open it up to the public, their line of thinking is probably that LE/Mil customers would see the software as somehow cheapened. There's the saying the the LE community: Paint it black and slap "Tactical" on it somewhere, and folks will pay more for it. That's what Coalescent is doing. That, and they're just a snobbish company, I think. If you've ever been to Southwest Orlando, you'll know what I'm talking about. That whole area is famous for high-snobbery.

Edited by Parabellum

a few pics from last night that show gordo playing with HE. not satisfied with the fact that we had nailed these poor suckers with m4's at about 300m, he decides to see how well the satchel charges we were carrying work. as seen in this pic, they do work very well. note the jeep in mid flight to left of pic.

he also turned this camp to this with the same methods.

sorry for the crap pics, but they lost a heap in transit from tga to jpg :(

cheers......

Hoowee!

Some bangs going down there....

Any idea if this is availible in sunny South Africa and how many millions they want for it? Also is it any good SP?

@ Slink- yeah... UAZ Flew about 50M or so when I detonated the satchel charge, Dead OPFOR- went who knows where....

And SP Very good mate- equally capable either way- But MP is where you really have the "fun" mind you AI on bboth sides if set half way know their stuff all the way.. well you'd better be damn switched on...

Onto Purchasing VBS1...

Try this site here.. has all details of add ons and units etc and prices..

http://www.virtualbattlespace.com/store/

Note:- Cost of add ons can be viewed in Euro/ Aus Dollar or US Dollar at site..

Cost will depend on what add ons you want. I'd suggest getting more than the Core as most missions as stated don't just use the core- take Vipers Missions for instance they use a terrain Pack, OPFOR Pack, ADF Pack, Animal sometimes (love those camels... esp the one with Lipstick hey Jack/ Viper?) and sometimes another pack for a special weapon like a SPR SD.

Basic figures here... Realistically Observer 2 isn't necessary unless you want training value and neither is AAR2. Which is not listed here. There have been Bonus add ons for people that have got in early such as 1-2 add ons.. as well as what they ordered.

US Dollars.

VBS1™

$140.00

Observer 2 Module

$50.00

Special Operations Pack 1

$50.00

Marine Pack 1

$50.00

Terrain Pack 2

$100.00

Terrain pack 1

$50.00

OPFOR Pack 1

$50.00

Australian Defence Force Pack 1

$50.00

Animal Pack1

$50.00

Total 590 if you wanted everything.. but most people won't wnat or need that... I'd suggest at least one terrain pack and a unit add on Pack... preference up to you.. Must say ADF pack is very well done- Brits, Germans, Swedes, Finns, Kiwi's all love the ADF Pack for it's detail and units.. Obviously those in the US will want the US packs and there well done....note more add ons you have the more you'll get out of it and more mission you'll be able to make and use...

So a realistic starting figure 300-400 US for Core a map pack and a few unit add ons.

(love those camels... esp the one with Lipstick hey Jack/ Viper?)

:blink: hmmmm, haven't seen that one yet, but next time i lock on to one with the javelin, i'll look for make up. dont want to kill some ones girl.... type.... thingy :wacko:

cheers......