The dawn of a new game...VBS1

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently only available in US thru one distributor. Don't know if they distribute to civilians or private owners.

Anyone else can buy it thru the online store.

No off the shelf versions. I sure wish they'd release it as an off-the-shelf game at a reasonable price. The TacSim world would swallow it up. There'd be no more need for action-themed military shooters; they'd all be relegated to console gamers.

Apparently only available in US thru one distributor. Don't know if they distribute to civilians or private owners.

Anyone else can buy it thru the online store.

No off the shelf versions. I sure wish they'd release it as an off-the-shelf game at a reasonable price. The TacSim world would swallow it up. There'd be no more need for action-themed military shooters; they'd all be relegated to console gamers.

Coalescent technologies have distribution responsibility for North America. BIA has responsiblity for rest of the world (based in Australia). As such it would be breaking legal contracts for BIA to send copies to the USA or Canada.

Coalescent at present do not sell to the public sector. As to timeframe as to when they may sell to public who knows??

As to pricing etc and distribution. Think you'll find they won't mass market it due to it competing with OPF 2 and it's lack of appeal to the non hard core gamer. Each copy of VBS ordered is hand made- copied and tested. Each USB key is then programmed by the DEV team, there is no mass production involved.

About 30-40 US Dollars for each copy of VBS is in fact the USB key itself. Which allows the encryption of each VBS copy and add on. Pricing is also due to limited distribution compared to a Civvie FPS/ tpye Mil shooter and the extra features VBS has over OFP and the add ons such as AAR and Observer.

I've been interested in purchasing VBS1 since this thread began.  One question I have though is, will I need to purchase the core program and all expansions in order to play mods that you guys make (like GR with DS and IT for most mods), or will the core pack and an expansion (say ADF) or two suffice?

You definitely want to get the ADF addon...and likely the map/terrain ones as well...armed with those you'd likely be good to go... lads?

Thanks for the reply Mike.

Looks as though I'm gonna need to purchase the lot... :wall:

* Looks in wallet to see moths fly out. * :unsure:

Oh well, maybe in a few months then... :(

I've been interested in purchasing VBS1 since this thread began.  One question I have though is, will I need to purchase the core program and all expansions in order to play mods that you guys make (like GR with DS and IT for most mods), or will the core pack and an expansion (say ADF) or two suffice?

You definitely want to get the ADF addon...and likely the map/terrain ones as well...armed with those you'd likely be good to go... lads?

Thanks for the reply Mike.

Looks as though I'm gonna need to purchase the lot... :wall:

* Looks in wallet to see moths fly out. * :unsure:

Oh well, maybe in a few months then... :(

Apart from Core VBS which you need. Depends on your level of interest in ADF, US forces etc... and any add ons down the track for more units etc. A map pack is a good diea to give you more types of area's to fight in- desert, Snow, Tropical, Temperate forest etc...

Right now i't mainly Aussies that have it, so ADF pack is very popular. But US SF pack and USMAC pack are well made as well.

It's a personal prefernce thing, as well as cost.

Does it have neat features like voices for the actors and stuff the war GR does? The impression I have is of a deep, immersive, but rather dry simulation.

I will play it and enjoy it as a game, so I'd like to see some game-like features.

VBS1 acctually shipps totally without voices as the defence contracts its was awarded specified that, they would instead of ingame voices for the actors use their own TS setup (maybe even real com gear). If you have Op Flashpoint you can pretty easily copy in the voices from there into VBS1 though.

I have a couple questions:

1 - Do planes have turreted weapons in VBS-1? An example would be an AC-130 gunship.

2 - Does VBS-1 support a proper number of gunners per aircraft? In OFP, Blackhawks could only have one door gunner and a pilot. In real life, the bird would have a pilot, crew chief, and two gunners.

I have a couple questions:

1 - Do planes have turreted weapons in VBS-1? An example would be an AC-130 gunship.

2 - Does VBS-1 support a proper number of gunners per aircraft? In OFP, Blackhawks could only have one door gunner and a pilot. In real life, the bird would have a pilot, crew chief, and two gunners.

AC-130 isn't released yet. Even though in Demo Vid- will be released at a later date with another add on. But ti will have Turreted weapons I hear.

And still limited to one gunner position per vechile as well. I know sucks but hey can't have everything. Ok for AH-6 and Ah-1 etc, but not having two door gunners on a Blackhawk is a limiting factor.

Arrgghh! I just (finally) downloaded and watched the VBS-1 trailer. I'm just floored...

How do u think i feel?

I watched the trailer, and now i have the game sitting 30cms away from me, AND IT DONT WORK!!! :angry: :'(

Para, if you must have voices, the voice pbo from OFP can be copied into VBS1 NP.

The Sim is built for MP with headsets so no requirement for voices.

Interesting. So, you can just copy the voices.pbo, and it works, with no extra scripting?

Yeah I'd say that might be possible. There are a few add on packs in development for Units etc.. The current add ons are just the beginning.

Any idea on which units? :)

Avey... some quite interesting and cool features on the way.... Can't say anymore as I value my life... and VBS.

It's public within VBS community what some BIA add ons are on the way. Suffice to say they will add to the VBS experience and add to the Mission builders dreams.

AC-130 isn't released yet. Even though in Demo Vid- will be released at a later date with another add on. But ti will have Turreted weapons I hear.

I'm not sure on the details, but I think it will be scripted simulation of AC-130 weaponry, hooked on to the actual flying AC-130 model as seen in the trailer. For the player on the ground calling in fire support, it should seem quite realistic.

Here's a big question: Do hand grenades explode on impact, like they do in OFP? I've been hoping that they've changed that to make it realistic. Also, what about tracers? Are they still either all on or all off?

Edited by Parabellum