The dawn of a new game...VBS1

Can those who have it or have played it, expound a little on the gameplay side of things? Does it have a SP mode? Does it have that same mouse look bounding zone thingamyjig that I never did get the hang of in OFP? etc, etc.

Cheers, Jack

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you know anything about the definition of classified material in the military I think this qualifies. When information even as simple as duty rosters and work shift schedules can be considered secret material, I think releasing military tactic simulators/trainers is a bad idea, especially in this day and age. Just something to think about.

got my copy in the mail today and what can i say, totally AWESOME.

anywho, to let you in a bit, yes it has SP mission's, as well as a mission editor to create your own. also has multi player for lan or internet. any one familiar with OFP will have no probs with the operation of VBS. the graphic's are for better than any thing i've seen so far, and the AI aint as dumb as i've grown to expect. map's are huge and i know one person who has a kill at over 1000m with the AW-50, now try that in GR. with regards to the price, as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.............believe me

cheers......

oh and BTW,

this is the software the US army devloped from the OFP engine to put in their nice big simulators to teach tactics ect

the case say's "developed in australia"

well put Dekela, has been meaning to put something like that in myself but I've been feeling alittle off here for the last few hours. :x

To add something though, if you feel like some instant action and mindless shooting its a matter of a few minutes with the missioneditor just tossing some friendlies and opposing forces into a map (make sure to place them pretty close though as the maps are HUGE!) and then playing your newly created minimission.

To add something though, if you feel like some instant action and mindless shooting its a matter of a few minutes with the missioneditor just tossing some friendlies and opposing forces into a map (make sure to place them pretty close though as the maps are HUGE!) and then playing your newly created minimission.

don't forget the safari side too. whack in some camel's and roo's, rabbit's, fox's and the like and go hunting. ask gordo about rabbit's and the AW, or camel's with the javelin :rofl:

cheers......

as far as you guys know, did the game check where you were? ie, did it check what country XP says you are in? or is there any other way that the game can actually check? :rolleyes:

PS, what "packs" do you guys have?

Edited by JTF-2

This is the official word on VBS1 at the moment:

Posted: May 20 2004,12:39 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some important notes you should understand concerning VBS1:

- VBS1 is a low cost simulation system based on Operation Flashpoint engine. So far, it was succesfuly adopted by various US military organization and we extend its usage to other users worldwide. One of the important new customers for VBS1 is now Australian Defence Forces.

- VBS1 is not a game and it has not intention to replace Operation Flashpoint for home entertainment.

- VBS1 uses modified Operation Flashpoint 1 engine.

- using our new online store, it will be now very easy to start using or evaluting VBS1 by various military and other customers around the world which will help VBS1 to be more recognized in the simulation industry

- in North America, VBS1 is still exclusively distributed and supported by our partner Coalescent Technologies.

We're going to release more detailed information about VBS1 new release later today at www.bistudio.com

--------------

Marek Spanel - Operation Flashpoint Project Leader

And the follow up is here http://www.bistudio.com/presspages/vbs1_pr.html

Edited by Earl

Let's post pictures here as links, please. We have many members who are still on 56k and it makes it hard for them to enjoy the forums as much as those who have broadband.

Thanks!

Well you have to figure the ones from the product page were taken from a pretty good computer. The ones from the other site were probably from average computer maybe just hitting the recommended requirements.

This simulation looks awesome. If I had the money and the ability to purchase it I would definately do it in a heartbeat.

I would be more than willing to spend $440 on that. It just doesn't make sense why it would be released internationally to the public (but maybe that wasn't their intent) and not in North America.

I wouldn't even touch another tactical sim every again.

Maybe if the U.S. and Canada guys here would organize a security force or something we could get our hands on this.