Ghost Recon.net Forums

I am a GhostRecon newbie. There I said it. I would like to play online sometime, but I am intimidated. Is there ever an online game that caters to newbies? I think that it would be beneficial to all of us noobs who want to learn how to play online before we jump in with all of you experts out there.

I look forward to seeing you "on the field." :D

Thanks.

Hey BigT4187!

Welcome to the Forums and GhostRecon.net. Enjoy your stay and feel free to grab a cup of Joe. :)

My suggestions would be to hone your skills with the single player missions first...get familiar with the gameplay of GR. Learn how to act and re-act tactically in various situations. I would even recommend enhancing your realism with MODS. MODS are additions or tweaks to the game GhostRecon. Many modifications include an expanded weapon arsenal, complete with silenced rifles, sensors, the works. Others are camo pattern mods, and yet others even tweak the enemy and friendly AI! They will make your experience much more enjoyable IMHO. If you are into realism, right off the bat I would suggest a little patch that totally removes the Threat Indicator from your screen. It's like playing for real...you don't know where the enemy is! :)

Let me know, and I'll post a link for that one. For other mods, checkout the Downloads section of GR.net, Locogamer.com, and ThePlatoon.com.

As far as MultiPlayer goes, many hosts on GR.net do not mind noobs. ;) As zjj mentioned, WhiteKnight77 occationally hosts games catered to you guys who want to test your wits with MP or COOP. Games happen often daily here. Just check out the Games Room for Direct IP. You will need both the 1.3.5 and the 1.4 GR Patch to play though. Let us know if you haven't got it and well help ya out.

Have fun and welcome to the best GR fan club on the 'net! :o=

Edited by Dark Ranger

Hi and welcome to the forum!! :D

You've done the right thing by comming here 1st and asking questions. Yeah it is a bit daunting when you're new to online gaming (i'm assuming here that GR is your 1st online experience?) but the best way to learn is to jump in at the deepend. Follow the guys who do well and see how they play.

For a friendly, none-daunting server why not come to GR.net's own dedicated server. I started playing on Ubi but found it too crap so I started playing on GR's server and have been most nights.

You'll have to manually put in there IP addy in the multiplayer options. The IP addy is

Look forward to seeing you there.

Jex

The advice I generally give is to hop from server to server until you find one that treats you well and you get a good ping to. When you find it, make a note of the name or IP, and keep going back!

The servers listed on our news page are recommended, as is our own server, already detailed above.

Have fun.

Big, everyone starts out as a Noob, so don't feel intimidated or afraid to join servers. The only way you will get better is by playing with those who are better than you. Watch others play, and look for different strategies and tactics they use and try to imitate that. If you want a friendly game with others go to the GR.net dedi server whose IP is listed above. Co-op games are usually played there, where you will play with other gr.net goers against the Computer. These missions can definately be fun and intense, but it is good knowing that there is another human playing with you rather than a computer.

:rocky:

I was checking out this game group that call themselves the Seawolves Tactical Assault Team or STAT for short. To get to the point and make this short, they take Newbies and hone their skills in training and from what a couple of them showed me in several games played against and with them they are pretty good at this. They use ICQ to communicate IP addresses for training, and during game play they use Roger Wilco or Team Speak to communicate to you during training. By the taime your done training your up to spead for Online game play! Check them out! I am joining them today! So I hope to see you out on the field!

Seawolves.org/stat is there home web site!

Edited by Swordfish

Hi bigT and welcome to the world of GR, personally i would never recommend UBI to anyone, alot of the "newbie" servers are full of ppl that want to pray on the new guy. I'm sure anyone who responded here with a server is more than happy to help, myself included. On SOB server we have no problem with someone being new and asking questions to better understand the game, our IP is listed in the server section of forums here, and another good idea may be to download "all seeing eye" a great alternative to finding mp games rather than UBI

big, ubi is chock-full-o-n00bs. however, beware the room titled "BEGINNERS WELCOME" -- thats usually some mean sharpshooters beckoning in lamb for the slaughter. still, try it out and you're bound to come across people worth playing with.

i run HOUSE OF RONIN at ubi and while we always do (99%) elite, no resp no ti, we welcome so-called n00bs all the time and help them out. plus playing at that level gets you better faster and therefore you can become more involved in the game.

Here's my 2 cents as a newer player myself.

Play coop games for a while. Ubi is fine for that. And if ya don't like how some are playing, just leave and go to another game. Don't take it personal. Being a 56K dial up, I sometimes get told to leave. No biggie. I just move on.

In a game, I usually just sort of follow someone with at clan tag, or someone I see who knows what they are doing. Stay behind them, watch what they do to learn, and cover them to be useful at the same time. Listen to directions and stay with your assigned team. I never get alot of kills, but the ones I do usually save someone else or cleans up a leaker.

Also, regardless of how many respawns the games I've been in, I try and avoid dying. Hopefully getting better in those NO respawn situations. I try not to be rambo. But do try out as many weapons as possible.

mrlenjr

I play UBI a couple nights a week and it can get frustrating.

You run it to a lot of guys who like to Team Kill and you end up looking for good games rather then playing them but there are good guys playing on UBI.

You just need to find them and when you do add them to your buddies list!

I have not yet tried "all seeing eye" or any of the I.P.'s found here but I will in the near future. GR.net was a good place to sign up I'm glad I'm here.

Most online gamers are good to ''newbies'' ,but there are alot of people who for some reason dispise them.

Well any ways to not make ''experts'' mad just try not to team kill i know accidents happen alot, everyone tks but when a ''newbie'' tks ,some ''experts'' like to reem the hell out of the.

But tks really shouldnt make such a big problem especially on games with infinte respawn. But some idiots make it out to be a great tradgedy. lol

Happy Hunting :o=:ph34r::blink:

I really hope you have a good online experince,better then mine. LOL

My first time was during the CS-era so you imaging how it was when your not known or not in a clan. LOL

But I noticed a vast majority or Ghost Recon players are alot more helpful then previous games players. (dont know if that made sense,Im not paid to sound clearly-in fact im not paid at all. lol)

Good Luck, Have Fun

:o=:ph34r::blink: