Ghost Recon.net Forums

Hi peeps..

Quick pop quiz:

I just acquired a new CPU and heatsink/fan (Athlon 3000 - but not sure which core variant) and set about replacing my creaking 1900+

However...problem is it is only being recognised as a 2100+ and running at 1.73Ghz....which is hardly a boost on my previous 1.6Ghz!!

I'm sure it is an Athlon 3000 (it came from a friend at a computer retailer, and does have "3000" inscribed in the numbering on the chip).

So...what's up?

To start the answer...I have a pretty old mobo - Asus A7N-266 v/m (microAtx variant)

This doesnt let me change the FSB settings any higher that 133:133 (by the looks of it) which isnt good...even though I have 512Mb of PC2700 RAM onboard. I noticed that you can mod this mobo by shorting a point near the jumpers with some solder...and cutting another wire - but this is beyond my skill...and only lets you manually increase FSB up to 184.

In short -

DO I need a new mobo??

If so - I have the chance of acquiring an A7N8X Deluxe....would this be an option?

Sorry for rambling....

i'd say that your cpu is being rated lower because the low fsb is strangling it so to run it at full performance you will need a new mobo, the a7n8x delux is a good mobo i think WK has one

Yes, yes and yes.

Your motherboard is limited to an FSB of 133/266, while the XP 3000+ is a native 166/333 FSB chip.

The A7N8X (all flavours) is a fabulous board, but be careful to politely avoid the A7V8X.

It's funny. WK and I built virtually identical computers (same CPU, slightly different versions of the A7N8X, etc) at basically the exact same time, and had exactly the same minor issues due to jumpers on the (different sizes, same manufacturer) hard drives. :wacko:

That computer I built was for the significant other's parents, and from the time the PSU hit the motherboard until now, months later, not a single issue of any kind. It's rock solid, fast and feature packed.

If you can afford it, pick up the Deluxe version. It's got dual channel DDR support, dual ethernet controllers (if I recall) and is SATA ready. I used the A7N8X-X version, the 'lite' version. Same solid board, just less of the fancy extras (which weren't needed for someone who's most challenging applications will be Office 2003 or MSIE).

Yeah I did have a minor issue with an A7N8X-X board about 2 months ago, make that a HD issue not being seen properly due to a jumper setting and not necessarily a mobo setting. I had no such problems when originally building my rig last year.

Taking the jumper for Master/Slave settings out completely allowed for installation of the OS if using a single HD.

QUOTE: Dannik:

If you can afford it, pick up the Deluxe version.

Ye - I think it is a deluxe..not sure....and who said anything about "buying"... :D I have a friend in a computet parts store who owes me a favour or two...they get spare peices with every order....so can syphen stuff off.... :ph34r:

QUOTE: WhiteKnight77

Taking the jumper for Master/Slave settings out completely allowed for installation of the OS if using a single HD.

Yeah, I usually leave the jumper on the "Drive Select" jumper (or whatever it's called again) you know the one that works with ULTRA ATA-133 to just designate master or slave depending on whether u connect the Grey or the Black connector...

Are you saying that it is wise to remove jumper completely in event of problem?

You may want to try to install hard drives the same way on your current mobo. The jumpers may only come in affect do to controller. I usually take my current setup and place hard drives in new case the exact same way. The jumpers may not to change but if so try select jumper setting for both hard drives. http://www.waterwheel.com/Guides/how_to/ma...etic_drives.htm

http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardwarecen...tutorials/31/1/

http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/howto/st...3322450,00.html

Tech Tv is a great show. Good Luck

w00t!

I just acquired that mobo - it is an A7N8X-E Deluxe - with all the wifi trimmings.

Since I have that XP3000 sitting behaving like a 2100+ on my old mobo - it's like I have a new rig!!

One more n00b-esque question as I seem to remember having to do this the last time I changed mobos:

Will I need to reinstall Windows when I move everything over to this new mobo - or is it just a 'switch off, dismantle and rebuild with new mobo' case...

???

EDIT>>> did I mention the 1Gb of extra ram I got in 2 x 512Mb 333 sticks...?

Giving me 1.5Gb - Woooooooot.

I'm speedin'. :yes:

I didnt have to reinstall my windows Xp when i upgraded my Mobo, but i know that sometimes it is necessary, play it by ear and see what happens after you plug the new mobo in... :thumbsup:

yes i would reinstall windows for this kind up upgrade and no you didn't mention the ram, sounds like a sweet system what graphics card you running?

ach krapp.

Hmmm...I was hoping to avoid as went thru the pains of a total reinstall about 2 weeks ago.

Can't I just do a "repair" to the OS instead?

It takes me 3 days to fully install and conigure my system the way I like it....I'd rather not!

*See Above*.. :rolleyes:

I completely removed my old mobo and replaced it with a new one and my comp fired up as good as gold without reinstalling windows, as i said, just check once your new board is in, you might be pleasantly surprised.. :whistle:

looking at your old and new mobos you will be switching from an nforce to a VIA chipset so i would reinstall win but you could try and see what happens, but make sure you back up everything that's important just incase

looking at your old and new mobos you will be switching from an nforce to a VIA chipset

huh?? :huh:

The new one is nForce2...Supa!!

(it's the flagship nForce2 at that!)

So I'm going from nForce to nForce2 - and bothe built by ASUS - so should be cool - will give it a bash anyway...hopefully it be cools as u say Zebb.

Cheers to both of ya :punk:

*looks again at the asus site*

*sees i was looking at the board below the one your getting*

*feels daft*

*goes to get a beer*

:stupid:

:lol::D:rocky:

enjoy the beer Supa - I do that all the time!

Cheers again.

:thumbsup:

EDIT>>>>

meant to answer : my GPU is pretty guff - a geForce 5200 FX/128Mb

But have been tempted with a Radeon 9800 of some variant....I just need to find some more music products to swap...(the benefit of being marketing manager for a music gear retailer, and having a mate who is a musician but works in a computer shop...it is a working 2-way relationship that benefits us both!) :ph34r: