GR2 @E3: A Fan's View

JT_Snowman

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about Battleborne ? Didn't they start out doing mods for games like GR and others ? Anything is possible all you need is cash and more cash.

Actually, I believe they were a game production company before starting GR modding.

BattleBorne has always been a company, never just a group of modders. Just so happens BattleBorne hired John Sonedecker (Lead Level Builder for GR1) soon after he finished Ghost Recon.

I think they released the Ossetian Woodlands mod for a few reasons:

1) As a "proof of concept" project - a map with intro/ending cinematics

2) To make their name known

3) John has always been very generous with his time to the RSE fanbase, so the map was a real gift/treat from him. Of course, that's assuming it was done by him - no credit was given/taken in the mod notes. But who else there could have done such an awesome map so soon after the tools were released?

Read Rocky's interview with John for more details:

http://www.ghostrecon.net/html/js-interview-01.htm

:P It really sounds like they are going to forget the PC version for now....and slam the xbox titles out..... .....since a major portion of xbox players are the younger generation it looks like they are after the xbox money first... :blink: ....if you all remember the PC version of ghost was out well before the others and this is a indication that we maybe waiting another year or so for the PC version.... This hurts the entire community since we have been loyal ghost recon junkies since the beginning the fact that they treat us this way is libel to cause a decline in the ghost recon community..... They REALLY NEED TO STOP AND SMELL THE STUFF THEY ARE TRING TO PUSH....... :wall: .....but i really doubt that they care about the ghost recon community at all and want that all mighty buck more......granted they are in the business to make money. The fact that they refuse to answer question or are so secretive about it...granted there should be some but not like they are doing...... :blink: ...heck i talked to much ...but i will tell you this we are going to wait a while for this ghost recon 2 for the PC... :wacko: ...possibly x-mas of 2005 if we are lucky...... only time will tell.......Hawkeye_TAW

I know I ranted and raved on about how distressed i was :wall: , the way UBI/RSE were taking this game but my mind is beginning to ease a little. I've had time to sit and read other articles pertaining to GR2 and weighed up the pro's and cons like many others have, having time to sit and digest the bigger picture, knowing that the PC version is far from completed and that there's plenty of time between now and hols 2004 to get the PC version upto scratch to please the PC GR2 community. Wasting my time on rumours, true or otherwise is not doing my health any good...lol. :x

I just can't see UBI/RSE being that callous towards the PC fans of the game, just to throw us aside like this, would be commercial suicide but they are keeping info about the PC variant, very close to their chests it seems. I'm just going to hold off from fire-branding them, until I see the PC version with my own eyes. ;) (They just better put FPWV into the finished article...lol...but the graphics, I must admit, looked pretty good)

(They just better put FPWV into the finished article...lol...but the graphics, I must admit, looked pretty good)

I know a lot of gamers want the first-person weps view, but to me, if that's in, it won't really "feel" like a RSE game.

RSE is one of the few studios still holding out not putting in the FPWV. Ubisoft Montreal eventually put FPWV in RvS because of demand.

In the end, if FPWV is put in, it definitely won't be the end of the world ;) As with 3rd preson etc, hopefully it will be toggle-able.

In the end, if FPWV is put in, it definitely won't be the end of the world  ;) As with 3rd preson etc, hopefully it will be toggle-able.

Yep CR6, I agree with you on that one but an even balance has to be reached to please every fan of the genre. Myself and likeminded people who play the original do find it a bit strange not having an iron sight or a weapon view but it's something we've all had to get used to but it doesn't look all that great really...lets all be honest here, a floating reticule does not cut the mustard, in this day and age. :whistle:

Edited by Cull

I'm so on the fence right now, the analytical side of me says they're hammering us w/the Xbox stuff so they can sell tons of cartridges to the kiddies. The emotional side of me says that the bastids are abandoning us and I gotta get Tony Montana over there to straighten them out. I suppose time will tell but as it stands GR2 is looking bleak for us PC'ers.

Not to hijack the thread but one of mine is 3rd BN Rangers, I asked him about picking up weapons on the battlefield. To paraphrase BsR™ Reaper:

We have thousands of hours of trigger time w/our M4's. It would be stupid to pick up a weapon we've only fired casually and use it to protect ourselves. Now, if my M4 was damaged somehow and it wouldn't fire, or something was broke and couldn't be fixed in the field then an AK47 would be my next choice. It's either that or being unarmed.

There ya have it from a bonafide Ranger fireteam leader!

Edited by ruggbutt

We have thousands of hours of trigger time w/our M4's. It would be stupid to pick up a weapon we've only fired casually and use it to protect ourselves. Now, if my M4 was damaged somehow and it wouldn't fire, or something was broke and couldn't be fixed in the field then an AK47 would be my next choice. It's either that or being unarmed.

thank you! thats all i wanted to hear..... :thumbsup:

I know I ranted and raved on about how distressed i was :wall: , the way UBI/RSE were taking this game but my mind is beginning to ease a little.  I've had time to sit and read other articles pertaining to GR2 and weighed up the pro's and cons like many others have, having time to sit and digest the bigger picture, knowing that the PC version is far from completed and that there's plenty of time between now and hols 2004 to get the PC version upto scratch to please the PC GR2 community.  Wasting my time on rumours, true or otherwise is not doing my health any good...lol. :x

I just can't see UBI/RSE being that callous towards the PC fans of the game, just to throw us aside like this, would be commercial suicide but they are keeping info about the PC variant, very close to their chests it seems.  I'm just going to hold off from fire-branding them, until I see the PC version with my own eyes. ;) (They just better put FPWV into the finished article...lol...but the graphics, I must admit, looked pretty good)

:ph34r: ..there has been absolutly no talk about a PC version for us hard core ghost recon junkies.......they are holding our fix and giving the others the main line......and that sucks......xbox is first....going on there past history we will not recieve a version for at least another year if at all..... ....and a 3rd person shooter is an insult to all of us hard core followers.....we deserve and demand better.....and 3rd person is not the way to go...what that does is turn the game of ghost recon 2 into a socom..... most of us are mad.....hell every body i talk to says that they would have loved a new mission pack to go along with ghost recon,desert seige and island thunder...than have to wait a year or more for ghost recon 2... :P ......a mission pack would have been better than giving it to xbox and making it a 3rd person socom...wouldn't you say.......... :snipe: ....hawkeye_TAW

Edited by hawkeye0151

What are you mad about? Do you even know? Because they're making GR2 for Xbox first? I'm so sick of reading all your whinny complaints.

Why are you mad about GR2 for exactly? HAWK.

ONCE AGAIN, FOR THE PEOPLE HAVING EXTREME DIFFICULTIES COMPREHENDING...3RD PERSON IS OPTIONAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are so mad about this game being a "socom". Dont buy it! COMPREHEND? In fact, why dont you just leave here all together since you obviously already made your mind up. Foreget the fact that YOU (not RSE or Ubi) are the one only saying this. I called it Ubis version of SOCOM simply because of 3rd person. I, however, KNOW that GR2 is going to be nothing like SOCOM. You're starting to really make me sick, acting like a 8 year old little girl that has to have everything her way or shes going to make everyone listen to her cry.

Edited by jammo

You HAVE NOT played the game yet, let alone seen a single screen shot of the PC version. There is a difference between speeking of concerns and the very opposite of that is what you are doing......CRYING..... over a demo of an Xbox game.

I personally feel that most of this "oh-look-something-I-don't-like-let's-#####-and-moan" thing is just people following the crowd. Honestly, anyone that is so devout to a game that they will scream about it to everyone that will listen really needs to get out of the house every once and a while or something. Perhaps even take up things like girls.

And Jammo, stop crying about everyone who's stating their opinion. It's their opinion to have. You're almost as bad as SZ was a while ago. If you're not careful, you might have an aneurism or something like that. If you're tired of reading them, then don't read these topics. No need to cause undue irritation to yourself. Step off the soapbox. You really remind me of a preacher I saw in Arizona once, just stood in the middle of the ASU campus and yelled out his stuff, never listening to anyone else. He spent three hours yelling at high school debaters, who just happen to be the most egotistical and opinionated people in the US, and wouldn't listen to their opinions.

And exactly who are you to go around telling everyone how it is? You're doing the same thing I'm doing hypocrit! You go and re state exactly what I'm saying than you talk down on me for saying the exact same thing. Real cognitive.

Edited by jammo

It doesn't matter if the game comes out first on X Box, it can come out last on PC, the main thing is that it is not the same as the X Box game. If they throw out the elements that made GR like multiple squads, player switching, command map and remote commands ( how could you play MP co-op without a command map), then the game is not GR. If they keep all these features and add the new ones - new squad control, medic, pick up weapons, it could be great. If they take away the non linear play of GR and make it into narrow corridors and choke points for scripting, it will have no replayability. My $.02

how could you play MP co-op without a command map [?]

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this before, but there is a command map in the E3 demo. You brought it up with the "X" (Blue) Button.

At the time of E3, a completed overhead map wasn't implemented, so you only saw a garble graphic background. But you could see that grid coordinates were finally implemented! :thumbsup:

jammo isnt the 3rd person view default? thats another issue with it but 3rd person just isnt ghost recon

I hope the 3rd person isnt defualt. Its most likely to be a option inthe menu option screen tho, It will be selected at 3rd person , but you can just put it at 1st person and it will stay at that rather than changing it all the time in-game.

that wont be to much of a problem then

:o= It is an insult that they even used a 3rd party shooter rather than think about it...... :ph34r: ....fact that we are going to have to wait a year or so for ghost recon 2 to come to PC....just adds injury to more insult....you know what i mean....hawkeye_TAW

The 3rd person view in the form of OTS would be fun as an ingame option, switch back and forth, to each his or her own, but, FPV would have to be forced in MP to prevent cheating. OTS would be fun sometimes to see the animations, but then back to FPV for the real work at hand.

The 3rd person view in the form of OTS would be fun as an ingame option, switch back and forth, to each his or her own, but, FPV would have to be forced in MP to prevent cheating. OTS would be fun sometimes to see the animations, but then back to FPV for the real work at hand.

:ph34r: ..correct me if i am wrong but from what i have read and heard in the forums. You start out in the game in the 3rd person view ots in ghost recon 2 & have to keep switching to find your target and shoot.... :(

we are back to that image of having to use several buttons to accomplish one task....leave it alone use the ghost recon 1 as your mod add more to it but stay on the basics of user friendly...and great game.......and we are going to be waiting for a while on the PC version.........there are a lot of us gamers that do not play anything but the PC........hawk