GR2 @E3: A Fan's View

In my opinion..Gr2 should be just like Gr1. The only things that would be changed are a few of the graphics on the soldiers (maybe give them new skins), more guns, but still a few of the old ones, more combat level points (have it go up to like, 15 or something) and the glitches, AI, ect. Basically, same as the old, except new maps, new skins, new guns, and fixing the AI and all..So it's basically quite close to the original...........I do like the medic idea, cuz many times whenever one of my guys died, I felt like I had to just instantly quick load..And I catch myself quick saving about every 4 seconds...So yes, the medics are a good idea.

But I do think the UBI team is ruining everything GR was supposed to be about. Recon..sneaking around...using teamwork to take out the Opfor.

:'(  :no:

Took the smilies right outta my mouth bud. ;)

Edited by Ghost_Man

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Let me also add the same comment that everyone has been saying. I too saw the demo, and hope that the PC version doesn't look like that. I really like the first person view, so I'm hoping that GR2 doesn't do away with that.

On the flip side of things, I really think that UBI has the PC version, and is keeping the lid on it. I think that the PC based gaming industry is huge, and for them to ignore it would be a costly mistake. Plus the fact that GR was made big because of PC gamers. They can't ignore the loyalty that us PC gamers have shown to GR. So, I'm an optimist and think that GR2 will not take a backseat to the gaming console.

However, it doesn't hurt to voice our opinions to UBI. Maybe get the big GR modders to send in their voices. At least give us a hint or something.

Thanks,

Toaster

P.S. The GR2 screenshots sure looks like the PC version.

Edited by toaster02

All of my optimism about GR2 has just been lost. It's turning into SOCOM I and II. They're good games, but they're just not GR. I've always had faith in RSE and even Ubi, but it's gone. I'll probably end up buying it for PC and for PS2. Maybe it will be like with RvS. I like it way better on PS2 then on PC. Maybe GR2 won't suck horribly, but I'm not going to be nearly as optimistic about it as I was before. :(

As long as they have buttons on the server like:

[X] Allow ghey Medic

[X] Allow ghey unrealistic 500lbs of equipment

[X] Allow ghey 3rd person camera

[X] Allow ghey kiddie arcade stylee play and unlimited bunny hopping

etc...

o yea, and [X] Infinite Respawn of course :rofl:

everyone will be happy

I have given a lot of thought to Xbox vs PC issue. Having coded some tools for Xbox back in its early days, I understand the logic behind the process.

The good news:

It is not necessarily something to be feared, folks. You read that right :shifty:

Cross platform development is the way its done nowadays. Its not necessarily a bad thing -- from the publishers point of view, you get two games for the price of one. Give or take 6 months if your going to do a straight port or actually add features to the PC.

Since you have to develop Xbox games on the PC using DirectX.. both builds are conveniently compiled with the same project and source files. Each build references different libraries. The C++ code basically remains about 95% the same. Of course, PS2 support requires extra work by the tools programmers.

Typically, when you build the Xbox version, you build a PC version alongside it as a means of quick testing and debugging.

So of course they have a PC version running all this time. Thats how its done.

The bottom line is that because of this, your opinions may actually influence things about how the PC version get shipped -- eventually. There will be a window of opportunity where someday someone from UBI looks at the forums and the fan sites and actually makes a few intelligent decisions. We have seen this before.

That being said, at this early stage, I doubt anybody at UBI cares about the final design of the PC. They will take a few weeks off after Xbox ships, come back to the office, and have many meetings and things will get decided.

So there is hope for GR2 PC not being a straight port. Having the Xbox as the ginuea pig for gameplay may turn out alright for the PC as well.

Ok now for the bad news:

We wont know for 6 months! :whistle:

I'm just totally dumbfounded by it all :huh: ...all the fans of GR1 over the last couple of years have speculated and yearned changes, for GR2. The posts have been up for a long time now and are plain enough for all to see, even the dev teams, at both UBI and RSE can see our wants...and they come out with a sorry excuse for a sequel :wall: . Disappointment would be an understatement...we're the one's, the PC gamers, that made this title such a success, so UBI/RSE, keep sight of that fact when you finally release the PC version. We've been waiting long enough for this day to come and we've kept buying the GR1 addons too. It's time you listened and gave back to the PC community as we've generously given to you !! :angry:

Edited by Cull

It does sound like they are responding to PC complaints.

1. Team AI They are so dumb, you can't let them do anything, I just play with one guy and leave the AI behind, I use them for reserve, I switch to the AI and do it myself, etc.

Solution: Play the game as 1 man and give orders on the fly to AI. No multiple squads.

2. Uncanny AI head shot accuracy, dead aim head shot with AK47 from the hip.

Solution: Make the AI more realistic, poorer shots for poorer type AI.

3. Deformable terrain and structures.

4. Interactive vehicles.

5. Better graphics.

6. More interaction with RPCs.

7. Medics

8. Pick up weapons in field.

9. Smaller squad.

I have seens all these things asked for in PC wish lists and forums. Besides, what are you going to play - Doom 3 or HL 2, shoot head crabs and lion ants, stalk weird creatures in Chernobyl. Not a lot in the tactical combat genre, now that Soldner is a bust. As for me, bring it on - I want GR 2.

Like somebody mentioned earlier...Joint Operations, I play the demo online and it seems to me, thats where everybody is at nowadays since RvS : Athena Sword was released...RvS:AS was a total ######-up, lets not make the same mistake again UBI/RSE :nono: . So thats the game I'll be investing my money into for the time being, though I'll wait and see what GR2 is like on the PC before I make any rash decisions. A m8 of mine also has his reservations, on his and my decision not to buy GR2, others in our clan won't bother buying it either...so you can imagine the effect this will have, if others decide the same...word of mouth and all that. ;)

the way it looks now (GR2)i'm not going to waste my time and money for an arcade game. :nono::angry: ;)very,very disapointed!not what i expected from ghost2.saw the video and it would be ok for play station 2,or xbox.but not for my pc.no way,not interested.i'm going to keep playing my original GR,as long as they keep making the mods,which i hope the modders continue to keep producing.if you ask me the modders in the ghost comunity could have done way better than ubi.i've got more respect for them than ubi.so,come on modders,make a GR2 for the comunity! ;)

My sentiments exactly !! I've just come off the phone with my m8, talking about our reservations, disappointment and disbelief...one thing I know for sure, we're totally in agreement, we will NOT be wasting our money to play an XBOLLOX, sorry XBOX/PS2 clone of GR2 on our PC's. :nono:

Another thing that was raised by my m8 was this cross unity thing, being able to play online against XBOX/PS2...which means modders won't be able to mod...why? because you can't mod on the XBOX/PS2, therefore I'm guessing, we'll have to wait for add-ons to come out, so that we're all UNIFIED ####!!...It just gets worse !! :angry:

Edited by Cull

Hey Guys,

I have a little guess as to whats going on and I bet some other people are going to back me up on this....The developers of GR2 are making all this hoopla about GR2 on the XBOX and all us PC freaks are going on about how they are stabbing us in the back...Im willing to bet money on the fact that GR2 for the PC has been developed with much more than RSE wants us to know...I have a feeling everyone will have a great amount of joy when we release the demo..

Iceman

My sentiments exactly !! I've just come off the phone with my m8, talking about our reservations, disappointment and disbelief...one thing I know for sure, we're totally in agreement, we will NOT be wasting our money to play an XBOLLOX, sorry XBOX/PS2 clone of GR2 on our PC's. :nono:

Another thing that was raised by my m8 was this cross unity thing, being able to play online against XBOX/PS2...which means modders won't be able to mod...why? because you can't mod on the XBOX/PS2, therefore I'm guessing, we'll have to wait for add-ons to come out, so that we're all UNIFIED ####!!...It just gets worse !! :angry:

XBOX live 3.0 games should be moddable, actually...

Got to say I haven't been overly impressed with the stuff I've seen so far. One question that I want answering, what mod tools are needed ( Igor 2 ?, 3D Max ? )?

I'm trying real hard to hold on to the idea that GR2 will live up to my expectations, but it's getting harder. Like I said in my earlier post, if worst comes to worse, I'm sure some kind soul can port the maps over, (provided all legal issues are properly addressed) that would leave the real GR players to get on with churning out the real GR2. :rocky:

i still think some of the best modders should do their thing,and form their own company along with rocky and his crew.they're the best to me when it comes to GR.to bad they did'nt develop the game.down with ubi,and their arcade recon! :angry:

Edited by gulf01

You do realise that literally no GR modder has the skill to build a game from scratch, yeah?

I mean, it's a nice idea and all, but... let's face it, it's an idealistic joke.

You're not a romantic then Pyro? ;)

What about Battleborne ? Didn't they start out doing mods for games like GR and others ? Anything is possible all you need is cash and more cash.

Actually, I believe they were a game production company before starting GR modding.

And besides, I've yet to see a finished product from them.