GR2 @E3: A Fan's View

Cmon guys, this is the XBox version. We all know how the GR port onto XBox let down the series. The PC is much more versatile, and worth your while to play on. That whole "Don't judge a book by it's cover" thing applies here. This is a beta, for a console. At E3, I'm sure the devs just wanted to catch everyone's attention with a fast paced, everything blowing up and going to hell kind of mission. There were some of those in GR too. Don't give up hope m8s. It could, and hopefully will, get better. If it doesn't, I'll buy it anyway. You guys who are being overly dramatic and saying, this is so awful I'm not going to buy it aren't even giving it a chance. Until you've played it, I don't think it's fair to say that. Who knows, it could turn out to be the GR fan's wet dream.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think that the higher sales for GR1 as a console as opposed to PC were in fact due to its PC popularity. Many people I have talked to have not even really "heard of Ghost Recon" as a console game. If you ask a strictly console playing person about a game like GR they will think you are talking about Socom:Navy SEALS or something. That has been my experience, not with people online of course, but with people I have met in real life. I think RSE/UBI catering to the console systems isnt going to get them as many sales as they think. I dont know jack about marketing but I know that if the game caters to console more they will lose PC sales and the console sales will suffer some because of this. I also think without good PC sales, modding will suffer and thus the longevity of the game will shrink considerably. Back when I played console games I didnt play games for a year or two, I went out and bought new ones and never returned to the old ones. PC games have usually been a different experience, especially GR. I think longevity/replayability in game keeps you coming back for the sequels and implants the brand name more solidly into your memory when you are looking for new games to buy. These are just ideas swimming around in my head right now, they may sound silly to some, but Id like to see a good game that I can play and mod for a couple years or so and then eagerly anticipate the next one, the same as I have done with GR and hope to do so again with GR2.

3rd person.... meh.... I will not buy it if it doesnt have the option to switch to old school 1st person... All i wanna see is better scripting, and a weapons interface like rainbow 6.... better mission and easier kits, better graphics, i'm happy....

Yeah me too on the perspective - gotta have 1st person!

Questions:

How does kit selection work?

Is the point and click orders system like the upcoming Brothers in Arms (which looks fantastic BTW)?

How many people on the team?

How to select them?

Any more talk about medics, run & gun arcade style play and GR 2 is headed for a 2 week life span not a 3+ year and still going strong life span like good ole GR. Still waiting for the PC scoop of course. Fingers crossed. <_<

Anyone else notice how small that map was and close all of the gun firing/combat was.

I do like the twitchy wounded guy though.

Yeah!!!!

The hell happened to the "expansive outdoors".

You get the sense of being in a boxed in space!

I have a feeling it will not be mod-friendly either... :wall:

There's a whole lot I didn't like about the video :angry: A lot's been said about the "arcade" style, what the hell is it with the 3rd person view? The whole feel and pace and style of combat made it seem like they're trying to make a new Rambo game. :nono: I'm not too fond of the way the tracers look now either...and definitely the player had "superman on". I'll leave with these thoughts:

Let's hope for better features and gameplay in the PC, but I honestly have my doubts, and it's going to take a lot of convincing to get me into this game <_<

Anyone else notice how small that map was and close all of the gun firing/combat was.

I do like the twitchy wounded guy though.

Yeah!!!!

The hell happened to the "expansive outdoors".

You get the sense of being in a boxed in space!

I have a feeling it will not be mod-friendly either... :wall:

Same here, I hope in PC we can see the map when we ASK for it. Not some map on the corner screen like a racing game.

On the medic side: I maybe growing old and almost-senile, but I remember someone placing that very topic in the GR2 Wishlist forum.

Hope your happy. :whistle:

I agree about GR not getting airplay in Console (XBOX/PS2), especially if I'm doing some "recon" in Electronic Boutique/Gamestop for some used PC. :ph34r:

I would hear some kid telling his friend, that "Sockom" is better than GR in PS2, but would recommend it on PC because of the mod possibilities.

Thats usually my cue to tell them about this site. :thumbsup:

I just hope THE MAN is reading this forum :whistle:

Or else, there'll be less ppl whipping their cash/credit card when release day comes.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I think the pc version will be very close to what we saw in the demo video. Maybe at best we'll see a first person view (not all that different from what we have now) and the ability to turn off all (or most) of the silly arcade features we saw in that demo video. I have a bad feeling that even with those options, GR2 won't quite be right.

I feel this way, because it doesn't make sense to me to think that UBI will spend more money than needed to achieve their end product. We're seeing the xbox/console versions for a reason, I afraid.

Please, oh pretty please, with a sweet Chems modded LA85 on top, I hope I'm wrong. :(

I sent some very tough questions for Anubis of gr retreat (did you participate in the question writing for him?) to ask those red storm geeks and the french pastry eatin white flag wavin ubi masters of theirs. :support:

YA I SAID THAT! :angry:

And from what I've seen I don't think they will be able to answer any of them to our satisfactory.

Where is Anubis? He said he was gonna report straight from the E3 floor with his laptop and wifi. Maybe ubi had him "taken out"? That way he wouldn't have anything negative to say after he obviously grilled them til they couldn't take it no more and wept uncontrollably as they were forced to look at the condition of their souls as being nothing but money grubbing quick buck from the consoles couldn't code their way out of a paper bag much less create an incredible hell how bout decent game with no vision whatsoever inability to be able to take advantage of modern vid cards run n gun shootin everbody has at4's??? nincompoopers!!!!!! arghhhhhhhhhhh!@#%!#$#$$#%# :wall::wall::wall::wall:

Edited by Stalker_Zero

Hey snowman, I got a question....And this has just been nawing at me....When you saw the snipers ingame..Did they have ghillie suits or anything? Cuz from what ive seen of the GR2 characters (and it's been limited, so thi is just an assumption), they didnt look very "militaryish", liek the guys in the first GR did...And if the snipers dont have ghillie suits...I'm really not sure I wanna buy it. <_<