Ghost Recon.net Forums

I'm in a bit of a bind. I need to get files from one computer to another. The host has a floppy drive but no burner or ethernet card. Does have a modem. The target computer has no floppy drive (That's not a big deal, the files are larger than 1.44MB).

Now, short of uploading the files from the host to webspace, and downloading them onto the target, is there any way to link the two?

With little to no expenditure?

You could try a null modem, which uses serial ports to connect.

Frankly, if the files are small, the upload/download is likely the best solution.

If the files are large, something I've done in the past is pop the cases open, pull the HD from the source machine, temporarily install it in the target machine (with just the IDE ribbon and molex, don't bother mounting it) and let the target machine detect the new drive in the CMOS, and boot. Then, drag and drop, and move the drive back when done. Fiddly, but it may be the fastest way when networking isn't possible.

Problem is, as I didn't realize the second was a laptop. 3.5" IDE drives from desktops won't plug in to a laptop, as they use a smaller connector.

Sure, you could buy an adapter, but you did want low cost... :wall:

Well, I can do it in a two-step transfer. HD swap from source to current desktop (which has a burner, albeit without burner drivers atm), and burn the files to disc.

Just the logistics of which are gonna cause pain.

When I installed the burner, it gave me no end of trouble. Fairly certain it was solved with drivers, though to be honest I don't quite remember. It's been awhile.

It'll come back once I start mucking around with the transfer.