Who's the best special forces?

stormcrow

Navy S.E.A.L.S. are the best i would say.

i once saw a show about a year ago about "Hell Week" the starting grounds for men already in the U.S. services trying out to be Navy S.E.A.L.S. the program they were put through just to determine if they were cut out to even begin traing to become a S.E.A.L. is unreal. i think the failure rate for a class of just over 100 is 75-85%. very few really have what it takes to become a S.E.A.L. and those who do.... well we can only thank our lucky stars they are fighting on the good side. :ph34r:

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ack ack ack... what a silly, pointless little discution. "my dad is stronger then yours".

well, the US special operations units 'ain't all that'. Most of them are acctually kinda crappy, mind you. What they lack in skills they gain in equipment and air-superiority, and due to them being full-time soldiers. Swedish SF have and are kicking US ###### on countless EX'es, and we are just a small country with not alot of gear and soldiers that are conscripts for (at longest) 15 months. You saw a show about how though seal training is? aw poor you, the swedish equialent, the costal rangers, endure tougher training then them, and they beat the seals over and over again.

The worlds most skilled and proffessional army imho is the IDF, or the Israeli Defence Force. After them comes the brit sas/sbs, and after them comes the nordic rangers, specificly the swedish and norweigians.

Nice, "My dad is stronger than yours" LOL,

then you go on to say that the US forces suck and that the swedish forces are better, isn't that still saying "My dad is stronger than yours."

All I'm gonna say is that all those guys are trained for one thing and one thing only, to accomplish their objectives, whatever they may be, and they all get the job done, maybe taking different tactics, but they all do.

Canada's JTF-2 was originally meant as a SWAT team, but has expanded into a capable SOF

i could be wrong but i heard that there are 2 "JTF" teams.

JTF-1 looks after internal Canadian stuff (SWAT team?)

JTF-2 operates internationaly (military SF?)

i heard this somewhere but it could be wrong :huh::wacko:

This topic, although it's very amusing watching people bicker about what spec ops unit (which are all basically the same, they just have different purposes.) is better, is pretty stupid. I think a better question would be: "What is your favorite SF and why?". There is no way to determine if one SF unit is better than the other. And please don't start citing the winners of some goofy-###### TV program like 'Combat Missions' or whatever the hell it's called that shows a bunch of over the hill posers attempting unrealistic, glorified paintball matches. Please.

As for my response to the question at hand, they're all elite and could run circles around you, me, or any conventional military force. They're the best combatants to ever walk the face of the Earth, whether they be SAS, Delta, SBS, SEALs, GSG9, Force Recon, the Swedish Coastal Rangers, the Timbuktu Marine Airborne Rangers, the 1st Parakeet Brigade (Air Assault), or the elite cybernetically enhanced super troopers detachment ALPHA :blink:...They're all awesome and deserving of the utmost praise and respect for protecting us with their unusual skills.

BTW, my personal fave SF unit is 22 SAS because they were the first, almost every other SF in the world is based upon them including U.S. Army Special Forces (Green Berets) and 1st SFOD-D.

Well Now you're talking Ice, nice suggestion.

I like DELTAs, nothing like an anti-terrorism unit, those guys are bad mofos, yea 22nd SAS was the first and I respect them, but I just like the way DELTAs do things, their deminor and everthing else. :D Both units are awesome, both have gone into places where they weren't expected to come out alive and they have, for that they are some of the best.

Edited by BlueMan

My immediate response would be Delta Force. No question about it. But do they count as Special Forces? I mean, they're certainly good enough to be but aren't they CT (Counterterrorism) ? Next would be close between Navy SEALs and the SAS and those closely followed by Green Berets and Rangers. But then again, I don't know much about Spcial Forces though I'm learning slowly.

Just waving the maple leaf here....

While the Canadian forces are pitifully small compared to the US and British military, the JTF 2 is, man for man, one of the most elite SF teams around (although they more Rainbow than Ghost). The fact that very little is known about them might just be an indication of how well they excercise the better part of valour (that would be discretion). And from what little information I have seen, they have apparently turned down SEAL-qualified applicants. We'll probably never know how well they stack up against our allies because they aren't used as much, and when they are used they don't make movies about it.

And who's snipers scored a 2400+ meter kill in the 'Stan? Ours. Boo-yah, eh?

And who's snipers scored a 2400+ meter kill in the 'Stan? Ours. Boo-yah, eh?
i read about that in a soldier of fortune article i found somewhere on the net. bloody amazing. and most GR players considered themselves "133T" if they score a kill at 200-300M :o

I have a lot of respect for the Canadian infantry, and also the ANZAC and South African infantry. Most of the Commonwealth nations have some pretty tough guys historically. Saw some statistics on the Canadian infantry in the Great War.. pretty amazing.

I'll have to jump in and give my personal opinion tho.. if you have the time sometime, check out Poland's GROM special forces. Also check out some really elite guys: the 25 man C.R.A.P. team of the French Foreign Legion's 2nd Parachute Regiment... dont think id want to make those guys mad. and the CRAP is the actual acronym, stands for Commando Reconnaisance Penetration something.. I'll have to look in my book about the FFL when I go to mum's house later tonight..

I can't understand why people keep talking about this. It has been going on for over a year in teh GR community now.... And I just keep saying that THERE ARE NO "BEST" SPECIAL FORCE. They are good at different things, and today all special ops units have taken something from another. But one of the originals where the 22nd SAS, but that doesn't mean that they are better then some other unit today. That same goes for training season, each training cycle is never exactly the same as it depends on the personallity of each soldier in the group.... So just give it up all ready.

Another funny thing is that you only list known spec ops units..... I studied alot about spec ops units as they where the main threat against my position in the Air Force, and there are so many top units out there that I've never herd about before that and never seen the name on in any discussion on the net.... This is just useless.

Sorry, I just have to throw in my 2 cents... In my job, I had the opportunity to work with a few different SF units from a few different nationalities. No, I was never SF of any type.

I think the main thing that needs to be brought to the discussion is the use of advanced technology. The gadgets that are employed by some SF units make up a huge difference in any lack of training. Take the tech out of the equation, and I think we will have a vastly different argument here.

With that in mind, I have to say that the only SF style unit I have ever been actually terrified of is the ROK (Republic of Korea) soldiers. Granted, they are not exactly SF, but I would pit the average ROK soldier against the average SF soldier of any nationality. If I was a betting man, I would bet all I had on the ROK soldier any time.

On a side note.. I am a hardcore US soldier (retired, but that doesnt change anything). I know you guys with military experience will probably get a bit mad at me for this, but US rangers have widely become a joke. The training standards for the ranger school have become a total fiasco since the "New Army" has become the way things are run. Airborn isnt much better. Seals, that's a whole different soldier, and a whole different story. Green beret as well, but the army has changed airborn and ranger school to cookie cutter courses.

I mean no offense at all to anyone. I respect ANY soldier, of ANY nationality. Heck, I even respect the Weekend Warriors. But any of you that have been enlisted in the US over the last 5-10 years will probably agree with me that most of our "SF" or "specialized" schools have been destroyed by politics and the forced need to be "politically correct". Personally, I found that air assault school was actually more hardcore and demanding than airborn, and to me, that's pathetic.

I love the army, but I really wish they would keep the politics out of the army schools and training programs. When some senator in some office in washington writes a manual about the best way I should assault an enemy comm center, I have a problem.

To sum up:

pound for pound, the scariest fighting man: ROK soldier

pound for pound, the unit that least lives up to expectations: Airborn Rangers

Leave the politics in washington, and leave the soldiering to the soldiers.

Fehyd

huh? i thought i gave a rather intelligent answer...

it makes more sense then most of the other stuff in in this thread. your previous post was right, of course. when it comes to skill, each unit specializes in different things. there is no "best" in that sense, but there is a "best" when we're talking about who can do a better job of protecting a certain group of people.

if someone asks you "who's the best special forces?" you might as well interpret the question in such a way that you can give a proper answer.

blueman - while i realize now that i was a wee bit heatedwhile writing my reply, i found that i was a little bit.. exagerating.

What i meant to say was that all this discussion comes down to is one of them "my dad is stronger then yours", and then i chirped in my $0.02.

Like wolfsong said, comparing sf units is just plain stupid.

But if there was one unit that i do not want to meet in combat, it would be the IDF SF or the russian spets naz.

I can't believe we are arguing this. Each is best in their respective areas. You can't get a bunch of guys to think that only one SF group is the best out there. They all have varied opinions and ya can't convince them. All that really matters is that they are all good and that is fact. I couldn't imagine this thread going any farther. :wacko:

@ mob while i agree canada does have some good tho small units , recently the 12 best shooters from the US canada and the UK (using the sa80) and some other countries had a competition im not sure of the name but i will look for the link and post it here anyway the brits took 95% or higher of the trophies, i dont know what units these guys came form offhand but it is a good indication of training

What about EXPERIENCE no doubt the US/UK are the best TRAINED special forces.

Think of the various Russian special forces and i mean the elite like Alfa FSB,Vymple,elite units of the OMON and VDV that have years of expereince and very specailized equipment(maybe not in numbers) for low intensity conflict and MOUT.

MOUT like Stalingrad where they developed the skills to be thaught about sniping in urban setting and so on.

Yugoslavian special forces are expereinced i respect them.

I think it comes out to another question with NO ANSWER what is more important EXPERIENCE or TRAINING.

I`m a good goalkeeper both due to my phisical build and my reflexes.

I was not Coached or teached by anybody how to do it.

I learned by Expereinxce in years of sitting in front of the net where to sit to anticipate the movment of teh ball and player etc.

I found that i`m almost as good like trained goalkeepers.

So this means that Less trained,eqiuiped and underestimated special forces that have Expereince are almost or as good as Trained special forces??????

Oh and what about what they have achived is another factor in judging THE Best.

The Enemy factor is very important as well.

Who are the best,more motivated,equiped,experienced,trained in guerrila operations the Checens,Afghans,Iraquies,Serbs etc. ??????

Someone said something about a unit similar to Seals that are as good as them maybe in training but when it was the last time that unit was involved in a real life mission and or war.

Edited by Alfa FSB

Question on the sa-80.........

Didn't Heckler and Koch do a retro fit and bug fix on the sa-80?? How is it performing nowadays??

There was some controversy as to whether HK fixed the major problems, but the official line now is that the modified SA-80 is now up to scratch in terms of function and reliability. It is still TOO DAMNED HEAVY however, and has cost the Brits a fortune as compared to the cost of buying an already proven design like the AUG or M-16.

Ahhh...Nothing gets folks as riled up as this one... :D

IMHO...The best specops teams in the world are those ones that you never hear about...The teams that are out there doing the black ops stuff...

Also, it's impossible to compare spec ops teams because their roles are very specific...You would never send in a SEAL team to teach insurgents how to fight, that a green beret gig...You wouldn't send a green beret team in to rescue a downed pilot, that's a csar gig...You wouldn't send a csar team in to laze a target, that's a force recon gig...etc, etc, etc...

Now, with that said, I would say that the most versatile SpecOps unit that I have knowledge of is the Army Green Berets, just due to the multitude of varied tasks performed by those teams...

On a side note, I recently spoke to a former Force Recon guy who was talking about how poor the quality of Navy SEALS had become and said "Their living off the reputations of dead men." (His words and opinions) Does anybody know if this is true or is it the usual Marine/Navy bitterness?

The Seals had their heyday so to speak in Vietnam where their work was highly prized. He could have been referring to that. Certainly they have been low profile of late, but that's the point isn't it? It's probably just a case of inter-service rivalry. Anyway as far as I know the Seals and Force recon cross-train regularly, don't they?