Wikid Photos

Dan

Sorry if some of these are duplicates... I don't feel like browsing 54 pages to double check...

These are NOT my original images! If I need to do any editing to cover identities or whatever, please IM Me and let me know, I will NOT check this thread to see if I should... I'm going to assume that because they were posted by the original photographer before me, they're safe.

n59701712_30086257_2082.jpg

n59701712_30086258_2446.jpg

n59701712_30086259_2805.jpg

n59701712_30086260_3215.jpg

n59701712_30086261_3590.jpg

n59701712_30086264_4136.jpg

n59701712_30086265_4550.jpg

n59701712_30086266_4912.jpg

n59701712_30086267_5304.jpg

n59701712_30086276_924.jpg

n59701712_30086289_5464.jpg

n59701712_30086290_5899.jpg

n59701712_30086291_6283.jpg

Credit to: YoungApostle, froggycrp739, Doom Tanker, seafaringgypsy, miso beno, shotgun ned, Doggonit, Lesabre1974 and Killchain over at DeviantArt.com for these (and following) pics!

Edited by Ruin

Sure they have the instruments, but without nothing outside the cockpit to judge where they are in relation to the surface is what makes it hard. Something else to remember what makes it hard, they are sideslipping to the right while in the hover, the sub is still underway. That particular evolution of flight is really difficult without no outside reference points.

Well if i were the pilot i would have eyes right on the conning tower keeping level with that and also an equal distance from it, so to keep in the same spot over the stern of the sub.

Sure they have the instruments, but without nothing outside the cockpit to judge where they are in relation to the surface is what makes it hard. Something else to remember what makes it hard, they are sideslipping to the right while in the hover, the sub is still underway. That particular evolution of flight is really difficult without no outside reference points.

Hmm, yeah, but you would know the course and speed of the sub, you have nav instruments and you have people in the chopper and on the sub that let you know where you need to go, etc. Still very impressive though. But imagine doing that in the night. :D

The pilots rely on the crewchief to direct them where to go in such situations. I was one and know how difficult those things can be, the second hardest evolution for pilots using the applicable helos are main mount landings where the rear wheels are on the ground and the nose is still in the air.

The pilots rely on the crewchief to direct them where to go in such situations. I was one and know how difficult those things can be, the second hardest evolution for pilots using the applicable helos are main mount landings where the rear wheels are on the ground and the nose is still in the air.

Yeah, I have seen it a couple of times, sometimes with only one rear wheel on the ground. So you never had contact with anyone on the ground for tricky landings?

Yeah, I have seen it a couple of times, sometimes with only one rear wheel on the ground. So you never had contact with anyone on the ground for tricky landings?

Mainmount landings are used to insert troops into places where the whole bird cannot touch down like a roof or mountain top or even a dam (we did this the night of my checkride at Camp Pendleton). The crewchief talks the pilot down, from inside the bird.

JTF-2, that is known as a Super ######ter in winger terms, else wise known as a CH-53E Super Stallion. The Marines have used it since the early 80's. It can carry both troops and cargo. It also has 2 internal cargo hooks as seen in the pic. It can have M2's or even miniguns mounted for self defense purposes. They have started mounting HMGs or the miniguns on the ramps too.

Mainmount landings are used to insert troops into places where the whole bird cannot touch down like a roof or mountain top or even a dam (we did this the night of my checkride at Camp Pendleton). The crewchief talks the pilot down, from inside the bird.

link

Main mount landings are used to insert troops into places where the whole bird cannot touch down like a roof or mountain top or even a dam (we did this the night of my checkride at Camp Pendleton). The crewchief talks the pilot down, from inside the bird.

link

This is a case of extracting someone, still, the crewchief is in charge, the pilot does what he says. This is a good example of a main mount landing. Notice to that there are things around to provide reference to the ground. In the case of the sub, the pilot (in helos, the pilot flies from the right seat), the pilot is looking over his right shoulder/arm while preforming the evolution.

link

Thanks Moose,

I have not been privy to this photo in the past and will share it.

NOX

link

Thanks Moose,

I have not been privy to this photo in the past and will share it.

NOX

WK,

SOG?