Wikid Photos

Dan

Anyone else see something strange about wearing berets out in a war zone...especially red berets or a green beret w/a red feather? If I was an enemy sniper, I would have about 100 kills right now, just because I would be smart enough and say "Hey look at the peacock showing his feathers."

Anyone else see something strange about wearing berets out in a war zone...especially red berets or a green beret w/a red feather? If I was an enemy sniper, I would have about 100 kills right now, just because I would be smart enough and say "Hey look at the peacock showing his feathers."

They were their berets to show regimental pride. I've also read that troops wear berets because it's less intimidating to the local populace than if the troops wore helmets.

I won't even begin discussing your supposed skill as a sniper..

No, no one sees anything else strange, only you.

But your little peacock remark could be/is very offensive to anyone who has served and worn a beret. Thats the majority of british regiments. And some blokes on these boards are ex british soldiers. I can remember 3 off the top my head.

Think about it this way, marines all get the same haircut right? Well if they didnt wear helmets, someone could say:

I would have about 100 kills right now, just because I would be smart enough and say "Hey look at all those clippered dogs!"

Its tradition, as is the USMC hair do.

One of the greatest snipers of all time, Carlos Hathcock, was known to wear a feather in the field... a white one at that.

Or look at this way...

You gotta be one badass ###### to go into the field dressed like that.

Edit - And you must have a high regard for tradition.

Edited by Burke

Well, the quality of the Iraqi or Afghani snipers isn't exactly up to the standards of the rest of the world, so 100 kills would be a stretch that's close to breaking. You might get one or two, but I really do think that the Brits would find you and take care of the problem.

Well, the quality of the Iraqi or Afghani snipers isn't exactly up to the standards of the rest of the world, so 100 kills would be a stretch that's close to breaking. You might get one or two, but I really do think that the Brits would find you and take care of the problem.

The only good sniper I heard was an Iraqi one in Baghdad. From what I hear, he's good at shooting gunners in their turrets of Humvees. Whether they have gotten him, don't know.

Click for Hi-Res

web_041116-N-4757S-047.jpg

041116-N-4757S-047 Arabian Sea (Nov. 16, 2004) – Sailors assigned to Explosive Ordnance Disposal Mobile Unit Six (EODMU-6), Detachment Ten, practice shooting M-4 rifles and 9mm pistols aboard the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75). Truman’s Carrier Strike Group Ten (CSG-10) and her embarked Carrier Air Wing Three (CVW-3) are currently on a scheduled deployment in support of the Global War on Terrorism. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate 3rd Class Craig R. Spiering (RELEASED)

Click for Hi-Res

web_041116-N-4757S-047.jpg

041116-N-4757S-047 Arabian Sea (Nov. 16, 2004) – Sailors assigned to Explosive Ordnance Disposal Mobile Unit Six (EODMU-6), Detachment Ten, practice shooting M-4 rifles and 9mm pistols aboard the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75). Truman’s Carrier Strike Group Ten (CSG-10) and her embarked Carrier Air Wing Three (CVW-3) are currently on a scheduled deployment in support of the Global War on Terrorism. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate 3rd Class Craig R. Spiering (RELEASED)

Can you imagine all the FOD from all the brass that was everywhere? That turned into one hellova FOD walk that's for sure. :wacko: