Laser Designators

Hi has anyone as yet been able to simulate in GR Laser Designators as used by Special Forces and Forward Artillery Observers to call down artillery fire or air support on specific targets such as buildings, scud launchers etc.

I would like to be able to use a Special Forces operative to inflitrate behind enemy lines and the call in an artillery strike on a key target such as an ammo dump.

It may be that a Laser designator could only be simulated by scripting rather than by the creation of a new handheld object or weapon type, any thoughts anyone?

:) As far as calling in an airstrike, I did that in my mod: DISAVOWED.

I do not think it is possible to make a weapon or item that can highlight a target though to use for a laser designator. I do remember HX5 having red lasers on the guns during the intro movie though...

Yeah thats right, you cant point anything anywhere and let the script reference what you are pointing at.

The only way to call in airstike is to use zones or think of something better but that will take you months to complete, believe me, I am working on it and well I just hope to finish one mission with the possibility to call it in before GR2 comes out :blink::wacko:

Oh did anyone of you ever thought about the binoculars...................... why can that thing reference to what its watching cause it changes meters of how far something is when you look around.

Where is that made or is it just inside the map????? :stupid:

Thats one of my big wishes for GR2 and the editor: the option to know what kit a Ghost is holding and what he is currently aiming at.

SR2003 Final Justice was intentionally gonna be a laser designating mission. After a night with IGOR the answer stood clear:

not possible to emulate in any good ways.

I always figured it might be possible, but in a long and involving way...

First off, make the laser gun, with a high rate of fire and a BIIIG clip and low damage so you can't kill anyone with it, then make a large invisible box to put where it needs to be airstriked. Then script it so that when the big invisible box is shot, the air strike is called in...

Is that at all possible, or am I a whackjob?

Yes this has been discussed before - the large box you speak of would have to be a large custom actor model with no textures (invisible) - the problem is with death animations, ie; bleeding and voices, and also with collision.

TOTAL N00b in Igor here, but I was thinking of something like this using the trigger set by the UIFireFieldSet or UIWaypointSet in conjunction with an Actor in a ZONE with a view of the target.

Having the Actor in the ZONE and drawing a Fire Field toward the object, or placing a Waypoint on the Object might be a reasonable approximation. OF course, FireField or Waypoint could point anywhere and the right target would still be hit :)

Just an idea :)

Recluse

Edited by Recluse

UI stuff is for SP only I think. Jack can set that straight but I believe it is for SP only.

Hmm, I tried a mission on MP last night and hitting the shift button twice works (continiueif the commandmap mode has been activated (with a counter to let it only be triggered when it's pressed twice within a sec) thanks to Jack for that one) :D. And that is a UI command also. At least when I did press it twice it responded exactly how it was supposed to be. I forgot to check wether it would respond if the client presses shift twice :wacko:

Greets,

I don't believe it'll work....

You can check that an actor is in a zone. Then the host doubletaps the command menu to initiate. The actor in the zone must stay put until the bomb hits.

Chavez: I've got an early version of this. You could probably make it work better. You want?

I don't believe it'll work....

UI command triggers query the 'player controlled actor' only.

In a MP game the 'player controlled actor' is the Server. So it won't work on a dedicated server game (in fact it will probably crash the server). It will work on a non-dedicated server just fine. The Host will always be the 'player controlled actor'.

However! - as there is no way to tell if it is being played on a dedicated server or not, if the mission is for public release avoid player controlled actor triggers altogether for MP games. (it's silly really - the program is smart enough to allow for the player controlled platoon to be set on a dedi server but doesn't filter other 'player controlled actor' references :rolleyes: )