US forces offer truce in Falluja

tyovan4

A US military commander in Iraq says his forces are ready to observe a ceasefire in Falluja if the Sunni militants holding the city respond.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3615703.stm

Hundreds of civilians are reported to have been killed in Falluja, and women and children are trying to leave the city after six days of violence.

The US has reported the deaths of at least 42 of its soldiers in combat since Sunday in Iraq.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I didn't know any better, the truce was an opprotunity for the noncombatants to get outta dodge.

yea that was part of the idea, as well as giving Iraqis time to bury their dead and to rethink if they really want to continue challenging the U.S's occupation.

I think if that was the case that 12 hours is more than enough time to get non-combatants and the combatants themselves out. unless the US search each person leaving.

i assume they were searching everyone who was leaving. They've had checkpoints in and out of the city for a long time now so it would make the most sense to use those checkpoints accordingly.

• 3 weeks later...
CBC NEWS

"Former Saddam general put in charge of Fallujah security"

Last Updated Thu, 29 Apr 2004 10:22:53

FALLUJAH - A former general in Saddam Hussein's army will be responsible for security in the Iraqi city of Fallujah under a new deal reached on Thursday.

U.S. Marines begin withdrawing from their forward base in Fallujah (AP photo)

The Fallujah Protective Army will include up to 1,100 Iraqi soldiers and will be led by a former division commander under Saddam. It will move into the hotbed of anti-U.S. insurgency beginning on Friday, U.S. marine Lt.-Col. Brennan Byrne said.

"The plan is that the whole of Fallujah will be under the control of the FPA," Byrne said.

U.S. marines were seen Thursday preparing to pull back from the city they have surrounded since April 5.

Units in the southern parts of the city were packing gear and loading trucks, saying they had orders to move to the nearby village of Garma.

Marines surrounded the city after four security contractors were killed by insurgents and their bodies mutilated by a mob.

Negotiations aimed at disarming insurgents inside the city continued on Wednesday even as U.S. warplanes bombed suspected guerrilla targets and battles erupted in several areas of the city.

The U.S. military has been planning to send marines teamed with Iraqi police on patrol through the city, threatening to treat as hostile anyone seen with a weapon.

Many insurgents in the city are believed to be former members of the Iraqi army or pro-Saddam militias.

The Centre for Strategic and International Studies in Washington said the city was a key bastion of support for Saddam Hussein and enjoyed economic subsidies under his regime.

When the regime toppled, Fallujah stood to lose all of its privileges, making it a hotbed of resistance.

U.S. death toll 126 for April

Also on Thursday, 10 U.S. soldiers were killed in three attacks.

Eight soldiers died in a car explosion south of Baghdad. Another died in a roadside bombing in Baqoubah, north of Baghdad. And a tenth soldier was killed after a convoy was attacked in Baghdad.

The number of U.S. soldiers killed in April is now 126, making it the deadliest month for U.S. forces in Iraq since the invasion began in March 2003.

As many as 1,200 Iraqis have died this month.

fallujahpullout_cp_5768541.jpg

U.S. Marines begin withdrawing from their forward base in Fallujah (AP photo)
Edited by MarauderMike

it's a pity to begin with that the U.S army was suckered into this fight over the deaths of 4 contractors...
thats why youll never be a soldier, and always treated as such.

those contractors were former soldiers of different branches

and they were on a food convoy.

so there was a point to giving into emotion and escalating violence by replying such as the U.S army did? They put themselves in a catch 22 situation (admitted by U.S generals with growing concern by Britain over U.S actions). Yes it was a sad that 4 contractors died, but they were approx. numbers 76, 77, 78, and 79 to die regarding contractors in Iraq. That whole situation proved again that the U.S doesnt know how to handle internal security problems and it cost them dearly and statically this month.

Edited by Kewl

Truce......hmmmmmmm I didnt know the US made truces with terrorists :blink:

I thought the Fallujah fighters were insurgents or something. They certainly haven't been doing the suicide bombing and other stuff, instead acting more like militant tribal fighters.

They seem to be part of Al-Sadr's plan for a power grab, rather than bin Laden's cronies. In fact the Wahabbis (Al Qaeda) have proposed war against the Shiites as well in their bid to cause a split in Iraq.

Edited by budgie

kewl,

it wouldnt matter to 1 US soldier how many contractors died,

We still would of went in.

Thats the thing you dont understand about American Soldiers

and all this talk about internal security is redundant,

the topic only comes up when speaking about hotspots like fallujah.

:huh: I think we have over 100,00 troops in other parts of iraq

doing just fine with this internal security you speak of :unsure:

we asked for them to give us the guys who killed the contractors,

they didnt, we asked them to turn in their weapons, they didnt,

we paused for a cease fire, they didnt.

So we tore that city up with attack helos, ac130 gunships and tanks

not to mention killed hundreds.

kewl,

it wouldnt matter to 1 US soldier how many contractors died,

We still would of went in.

Thats the thing you dont understand about American Soldiers

and all this talk about internal security is redundant,

the topic only comes up when speaking about hotspots like fallujah.

:huh: I think we have over 100,00 troops in other parts of iraq

doing just fine with this internal security you speak of :unsure:

we asked for them to give us the guys who killed the contractors,

they didnt, we asked them to turn in their weapons, they didnt,

we paused for a cease fire, they didnt.

So we tore that city up with attack helos, ac130 gunships and tanks

not to mention killed hundreds.

well lets see...theres Najaf and the inclusive Sunni triangle...thats a large part of "developed Iraq". How many attacks take place each day? I believe the last time i heard a U.S general it was quoted at around 40? maybe more? Now lets see what the U.S has done that hasnt helped it cause...street justice (ie. crushing a taxi with a tank, making iraqis run naked down a street with "dirty theif" written in arabic on their chests, bulldozed land because locals wouldnt help them enough, and the latest with 6 charges and upcoming court marshals against 6 U.S soldiers accused of beating Iraqi prisoners). Yes if taken together the number of U.S soldiers involved in these examples would be an extremely small percentage of the entire U.S force in Iraq. But public perception is easily fueled by a few of these examples. And i'm curious...why are there now talks of asking for more soldiers if as you say its only Fallujah thats insecure? And why are they desperately shipping more armor into Iraq? Most of all, i'm curious as to what you think it takes to defeat an insurgency? Hopefully you dont think mere military might will work, because 135,000 doesnt mean much in the face of 25 million.

:huh: 25million what? cowards :P ?

think of what u just said kewl, really, think about it,

then come back and answer.

WE HAVE THE COUNTRY!!!

yes, 135,000 american soldiers have taken control of the country of iraq.

yes military might will take control of that country.

if not, then how did we take over the country?

the dictator of that country, turned himself into a rat and hid in a hole.

i would think someone who knows about this

would know by now that america has taken iraq by force.

it would be to easy for us to say, hey ok we'll just flattin fallujah,

but then we just made thousands homeless, lets not.