Thoughts of enlisting pre/post Iraq war

tyovan4

I'm just wondering if the war in Iraq has changed anyone's thoughts on joining the military. It has for mine.. Last spring, I was seriously thinking about joining the US Army and really regretted missing the war. I was seriously considering joining the US Army Reserves the day I turned 17 as a military policeman and then transfering to active duty after graduation.. After watching the situation in Iraq over the past 9 months, I doubt I'll join the US military.. Wouldn't mind joining the British Army, but not the US military. I decided I really don't want to go over to Iraq and risk life and limb. I decided there were some things I wanted to do a bit more:

Have a career

Get married and start a family

Buy a Land Rover Defender and a Mini Cooper some day..

travel the world and see more of Europe

Anyway, the war in Iraq really changed my thoughts of joining the US military. Has it changed (increased or decreased) the likelihood any of you will enlist??

Not trying to sound like anything if its interpeted that way but;

Dont join the military if you dont want to be put in harms way. :huh:

Kinda like not going to countries where people are kidnapped on a daily basis.

Its just common sense to most I suppose.

Hasn't really changed my mind since I already know I can't join. It's cool though, I'll just be that guy in town that has alot of guns and acts a little weird. :shifty:

crap wheres the fire retardant?

I'll just be that guy in town that has alot of guns and acts a little weird.
ROTFLMFAO :rofl:

Im glad u dont want to join the US military

we dont need guys who dont want to be there.

I just got my second half of my signing bonus

for joining Feild Artillery, a part of the military

thats going to get cut in half in a few years.

i heard underwater basket weaving is a good mos :thumbsup: .

Im going to "re-up" for that i guess or MP.

I decided I really don't want to go over to Iraq and risk life and limb.
I could really say... never mind :wall:

crap wheres the fire retardant?

you're hilarious Zantar :rofl:

i heard underwater basket weaving is a good mos  .
:rofl: I can't count how many times my dad said that

Hmm, I don't see why the events in Iraq should change anyones mind about joining...as a U.S. citizen if you want to serve your country then it shouldn't really matter about high casualty rates, etc. Isn't that an inherent possibility in any Army regardless? Just seems common sense to me. My opinion is, if the war in Iraq changed your mind about joining then you had the wrong reasons for joining in the first place :thumbsup:

Joining the military (for any country) is a serious decision and cannot be taken lightly. If you cannot bear the thought of possibly going into combat, then it is best that you don't join. Both you and those who would serve with you will be better off.

Now the question remains, why would you not join the US military, but still want to join the British Army? Combat is combat no matter which country you serve.

Now the question remains, why would you not join the US military, but still want to join the British Army? Combat is combat no matter which country you serve.

Look at the number of US troops killed compared to the number of British troops killed. ;)

Also, the British Army has 3 battalions that serve only in Northern Ireland (2, 3, and 4 Royal Irish Regiment) - this is the regiment I'm interested in serving in. They don't go to Iraq.

if you want to serve your country

it was never really about country..

Look at the number of US troops killed compared to the number of British troops killed. ;)

Also, the British Army has 3 battalions that serve only in Northern Ireland (2, 3, and 4 Royal Irish Regiment) - this is the regiment I'm interested in serving in. They don't go to Iraq.

If i'm not mistaken, the Brits dont have nearly as many personal over there as the U.S does, so ofcourse U.S numbers are going to be higher. Also, the Brits, again if i'm not mistaken, are in control of Basra or Nasiriya...whichever the case its not part of the Sunni triangle.

Thank you for not enlisting.

I have spent 11 yrs. defending my COUNTRY, and have never missed a beat when someone like you leaves.

Now when a soldier leaves, that is another story.

Tyovan, heaven forbid the troubles don't start up again, cause if so, you'll have a much higher % chance of dying in Ulster than Iraq...

you'll have a much higher % chance of dying in Ulster than Iraq...

do you mean now or back in the mid 1970s to mid 1990s?

I decided I really don't want to go over to Iraq and risk life and limb. I decided there were some things I wanted to do a bit more:

Have a career

Get married and start a family

Buy a Land Rover Defender and a Mini Cooper some day..

travel the world and see more of Europe

I will be as tactful and polite and non-flaming as possible especially comming from someone who is in a family where every generation has had at least three family members in the military when possible...

there are men and women in Arlington National Cemetary and cemetaries around the globe that were American soliders that have died for less materialistic things and yet, have died for more than some cheap car, or a "career" that can be gained by just going to college or opening the classifieds...

For anyone wanting to join the military of ANY nation think for one second....why do you think they make you at least qualify with a firearm? For show?

that's all I will post on this subject lest I get all fired up and banned.

I have always thought i would like to sign up, but dont trust some people who make decisions, as WhiteKnight said you have to trust the people around you. I would trust my fellow soldiers, but higher up no.

People at the top end of command dont know you your just a number.

Ricard

:ph34r:

I have always thought i would like to sign up, but dont trust some people who make decisions, as WhiteKnight said you have to trust the people around you. I would trust my fellow soldiers, but higher up no.

People at the top end of command dont know you your just a number.

Ricard

:ph34r:

I have to agree with you, to a point.

The CSM of my old battalion knew me on sight, as well as my wife and kids. Not just that they where my family but knew their names and ages (kids ages better then i could remeber them :whistle: ) He also knew that kind of information about all the soldiers in his command.

But at the same time I have seen Platoon leaders that have a hard time remebering who the PSG is!

I understand what your saying doc

But i mean higher up.

Basic infantry are used as pawns in a game of chess.

But with the situation in Iraq as it stands, i think they need some anti terroist teams sending over there to support and give help so that these young men can learn more about dirty trick and urban terrorism.

We have rules of engagment, our Enemies dont.

Ricard :ph34r:

Well I had to make a choice two years ago. I was seriously thinking of joining. The Iraq war that was coming had no influence on my choice. A war is nothing to fear. If you are affraid of dying then you shouldn't join. Death comes to everyone and if you can't understand that then you need to get things settled with yourself. But the millitary can help that problem.

well guys i really appreciate your words

and to say "it was never really about country"

is a smack in the face to every american in this forum.

that makes me sick and his (tyovans) non-response

to our words about that statement he made.

it seems hes just out to smack americans

and our soldiers for his own self-gratification.

that was me being tactful.